Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ali_fatheroforphans

My honest reflections on Shiachat

Rate this topic

I noticed this too. To try and see it from the Mod's perspective, they're trying to uphold the delicate balance between open uncensored discussion and well....cleaning up the filth. Then there's the fact that they sometimes can't tell if a user is anti shia or just in need of guidance. If they just ban them then that's it for that user. We've shut the door in their face and they'll always have a bad impression of us, ending any chance of them accepting the truth. But if I think out loud, is it worth it? Should we have patience with these few misguided souls considering they do a lot of damage and cast doubt in the hearts of those who're more ignorant? It's a complex issue and I hope someone here has a solution.

@guest 2025 Yes brother you do have a point, however, I believe the way in which a guest or new user has to have their posts reviewed until made public is superb in combating the filth, as for those who seek to mock later on as members, well they get caught  either by penalties they receive or by the truth which vanishes their falsehood. I think ShiaChat is great as it is right now and more censorship is certainly unnecessary. 

:salam:

Again, SC is a public forum. Expect disagreement, polemics and sometimes, deception.

If these reflections are based on one or two controversial topics, does it deserve such tribune-like threads@ali_fatheroforphans ?

Not to mention the fact that while you condemn polemical threads and users, you never miss to jump in and bring your arguments, instead of ignoring them. 

Guest nope!Monad
15 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

People come to these forums to get closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and it's not always easy find like-minded people in real life who have a growth mindset. 

No they don't. They come to escape life or to play or how they seek answer to solve particular problems that they have. Some come to find a partner.....( we will ignore that part ). Some come to debate or to convert or to give advice. In all we are deluded. If I live in a prison then my world is the entire space I live in and I assume everyone should or thinks or sees the same as I do.

Consider the kind of individuals who visit or are regulars to Forums?. If you live a busy lifestyle, have a happy home, happy life, would you have time?. A sound mind? You dig?. I am not putting anyone down, just wanting all of us too see the motives that we hide or unaware but act with it. If we open the door and take regular walks, we will see the world slightly different to when we just stay indoors.

2 hours ago, Guest nope!Monad said:

If you live a busy lifestyle, have a happy home, happy life, would you have time?. A sound mind? You dig?

Plenty of people do. Forums are not social media, they are not a place to chase after the dopamine hit of a "like" or a repost. You have to contribute quality content in order for a forum community to thrive. There is plenty of quality information about Islam on here from kind-hearted & well-intentioned people who want to do their part to expand Dar al-Islam for the benefit of the human race.

But yes, I "dig"-- we could all afford to spend less time doing frivolous things & spend more time creating art/poetry, exercising, reading/memorizing Quran, or working on our careers (for those of us who did not yet lose our jobs due to COVID19) which is why I continue to spend time here rather than watching stupid videos or Hollyweird filth on Netflix. If it weren't for Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) working through the users of SC, I wouldn't have embraced Islam yet and I sure wouldn't know how to pray already.

SC has helped me to commit to Islam moreso than I was ever able to commit to a strict form of Christianity & my family is already seeing a positive change in my behavior and state of mind. Alhamdulillah!

2 hours ago, Guest nope!Monad said:

I am not putting anyone down, just wanting all of us too see the motives that we hide or unaware but act with it.

I know, and that's fine because we should always be striving to be more mindful and self-aware :) As for your comment on opening the door and taking walks, we should be doing this every day anyway because walking is good for the body; the only problem is for people that don't live in a rural or suburban area, going out of the house is a great way to either catch or spread COVID19 at this juncture and the most important thing we should be doing now is protecting our elders by staying indoors.

8 hours ago, The Green Knight said:

imagesetetetetetet.jpg.c50e69adc253c4deb3b59f70fbdca060.jpg

Our music screacher in school had us sing this "world is alive" so much that it was deadening. As such, l have never seen the movie. As soon as it comes on, all those bad memories come back.

Edited by hasanhh
spelin'

I agree with pretty much everyone that more censorship will ruin everything and is not in our best interest. If your beliefs and views are threatened by a few threads that I and others  have suggested that you should ignore, then SC is probably not the place for you. Ultimately, SC is a place where people can debate and talk subjects that normally they wouldn't have a chance to discuss  in real life. It's a place to learn and I'm grateful for it and part of learning is learning how to talk about views that make us uncomfortable, so you should remember that next time you tell us:

Not everyone deserves attention in my opinion and not everyone is that important. 

^Which is as you stated, your opinion and if ShiaChat adopted this same mentality, I doubt it would have lasted as it has for 22 years.

If it's spirituality you're looking for, there's always the salawat thread.

19 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Certain threads generate over 100 replies and from that point it drains the energy of everyone. It becomes entertaining and gives everyone that dopamine hit in the wrong way

And you have a choice in how you choose to respond to them. Is it the moderators and admin's responsibility to police and censor every thread on here? You're missing the point, SC is mainly a place of debate. There's always going to be these types of threads.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

l have heard and said stuff that l never read anywhere.

Could you elaborate on this 

21 hours ago, GD41586 said:

In that regard, I think that the mods do an amazing job & people have to realize that this is a SHIA community, not an open forum to come and bash Shia & Twelvers on behalf of a militant Salafi sheikh

Love you answer brother! May Allah bless you. Im glad you've felt a part of this community :)

Thanks for the answers. Also, the purpose of this thread is not a call for action. I never meant that the moderators should change their ways, they're already doing a great job.

I just mean that we should all be aware ourselves and not give attention to everyone - expecially those who talk nonsense about our sect. 

Guys, OP is talking about the way certain threads are brought up (e.g. the way the post is phrased). Those threads are intended to make users angry and kill the vibes.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

19 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Guys, OP is talking about the way certain threads are brought up (e.g. the way the post is phrased). Those threads are intended to make users angry and kill the vibes.

Thanks brother - you understood the purpose of my thread.

1 hour ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

And you read this in the OP:

On 5/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

. . . this site was created for like-minded individuals to connect and grow together.

"Like Minded" is not "single minded".

Also, witness how much the muslimas are "like minded" with the bros.

Right? Yet we disagree most of the time.

8 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Also "Sc is mainly for debates"?

Hmm not sure if I agree. Would you all say majority of the people come here to learn or win an argument?

Do people actually do the latter?  I don't, I may debate but I do so with the intention of learning or sharing knowledge.

At ShiaChat.com, we welcome individuals from all cultures, ideologies, and walks of life to participate in our discussion forum.  Subjects include theology, Islamic law, social and family issues, sciences, philosophical inter-faith debates, and much more.  

Also there's this: It's the first thing you see entering in the chat and yet you don't think people use it to debate?  Censorship is counter intuitive for a website that welcomes "all cultures, ideologies and walks of life ", debates are a form of discussion. Is the intimacy really being ruined if Shiachat fulfills it's purpose as a discussion forum? I still think you're missing the point, Ali.

5 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Also there's this: It's the first thing you see entering in the chat and yet you don't think people use it to debate?  Censorship is counter intuitive for a website that welcomes "all cultures, ideologies and walks of life

Bro when did I talk about censorship? You're getting way too deep into this. I just mean that this site shouldn't give a free ticket to those who want to come and ridicule the twelver school of thought. It's our responsibility to be aware that not everyone deserves attention. The internet is full of trolls, ain't nobody got no time for them. People who are open-minded will read books, ask respectful questions and start interesting discussions. Anyway, agree to disagree. 

4 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Bro when did I talk about censorship? You're getting way too deep into this. I just mean that this site shouldn't give a free ticket to those who want to come and ridicule the twelver school of thought

I'm not getting deep into anything, I'm just saying the reason you posted this thread is because of what happened on the leaving Shiaism thread earlier, there's no need to beat around the bush about this. I didn't see any ridicule from that, all I saw a misguided brother and I tried to help and then you jumped, calling him a troll and such. I'm not impressed. 

As for this website being a free ticket for those to ridicule us, well that's the Internet for you. The mods and admins are doing as best as they can with keeping Shiachat safe, balanced and working; The Shia madhab have been subjected to ridicule for thousands of years and is still going strong today.

5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

It's our responsibility to be aware that not everyone deserves attention. The internet is full of trolls, ain't nobody got no time for them.

^Yes, that's why we have admins and mods.

3 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

all I saw a misguided brother and I tried to help and then you jumped, calling him a troll and such. I'm not impressed. 

Imo it's best to refer those people to knowledgeable brothers. You can DM him and answer his questions or get others to answer etc. I don't think a "6-year-hawza- student would want to his concerns to be addressed by laymen (you, I and a lot of others who are self-learned). I don't think it's our job, kinda like the blind leading the blind. That's why I'm not a fan of these useless threads. 

3 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

The mods and admins are doing as best as they can with keeping Shiachat safe, balanced and working;

Lol I thanked the mods for a reason - I appreciate everything they're doing. I don't expect anymore from them. 

I think there is a reflection of the greatness of our Deen arduously passed to mankind by the 14 infallibles which can be seen in the accommodation given by SC to absolutely everyone. I used to dislike it too and complained of it. Thing is that someone here wrote brilliantly once that 'the truth is never shy of an honest challenge'. And it is a double edged sword really because when the non-Shia go out of their way they expose themselves with their posts. Just like Ameer ul Momineen (عليه السلام) said: "My opponent helps me in his own demise". So when people abandon logic and reasoning or when their own websites act intolerant and ban people non-conforming to their beliefs, these are all battles won for the Shia and all of it only requires seeing eyes. We do not issue our own fatwas of course but we often hand out fatawa already given by our ulema, or share narrations on the topic, or Quranic verses, which is all academic and constructive I think especially for those who did not know these narrations and wishes to learn. There is also much love and respect among us Shia posters. Our mods are extraordinary. I feel its all going very good. I am pretty sure our Imam will be pleased and Allah will compensate us for our efforts regarding His Deen which is the time we spend here discussing and spreading it. Much better than most other frivolous activities so many of them possible over the internet today. I am pretty sure when a SCer takes a seat in a religious discussion among their real life relatives they must wonder how and where this person learned the stuff from.

Guest Quran and Itrah

I welcome Atheists, Sunnis, Shias of all stripes and opinions, to engage in dialogue, so long as it is respectfully done, and academic in nature, and we have users who are versed enough to be able to point to, or present reliable responses.

The sign of having a strong foundation is not in exiling those who challenge the status quo, who question, who bring evidence. 

I think you'd also agree. However, belief and emotion are hard to separate and so long as someone is not being offensive, i think there has to  be leeway there as well.

Look to Ali b. Abi Talib according to some traditions. A man had his shield  - stole it actually. Ali didn't tell the man he will throw him in prison, but he went to an open forum with the man. He let him present his case, he presented his in this context and allowed external judges to decide. 

Look at the Prophet and the Aimmah, how they would allow the idolators, the non-Muslims, even the Atheist to come and ask question after question. How they would allow their own Shia to clarify and address and question. 

Now i have sometimes out of love for Ale Muhammed overstepped in condemning cultural acts and newly seen practices which are not part of our foundations and Aqeedah during times and in a manner that was not best. But, i would not support any further censorship than already exists.

11 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I'm not getting deep into anything, I'm just saying the reason you posted this thread is because of what happened on the leaving Shiaism thread earlier, there's no need to beat around the bush about this.

It's been several posts. This thread comes to mind in particular: 

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy