Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Living in the west

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salam aleykoum,

I want to know if it's considered a sin to hide your faith in front of strangers if you live in a western country (for example because you fear losing your job)

I also want to know your personal opinions on sisters who don't wear hijab in the west for the same reasons (fear of losing their jobs, fear of having less opportunities in work and studies etc), do you think this sisters are condemned to hell even if they pray, fast, give charity, have good manners etc ?

Thank you in advance for any replies

• Moderators

Salam, 

I believe the rule is that if you are living in a place and you can't follow your religion there for any reason then you should migrate to another country or city where you practise your religion.

“When angels take the souls of those who die in sin against their souls, they say: “Indeed, those whom the angels take [in death] while wronging themselves - [the angels] will say, "In what [condition] were you?" They will say, "We were oppressed in the land." The angels will say, "Was not the earth of God spacious [enough] for you to emigrate therein?" For those, their refuge is Hell - and evil it is as a destination” (Quran 4:97).

17 minutes ago, sya said:

do you think this sisters are condemned to hell even if they pray, fast, give charity, have good manners etc ?

Allah knows best. No one would be able to tell you this. But the general principle is that wajibaats should not be taken lightly.

Sustenance is from Allah not from the CEO of some company. Our foremost duty is to submit to the commands of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Guest Helper
54 minutes ago, sya said:

Salam aleykoum,

I want to know if it's considered a sin to hide your faith in front of strangers if you live in a western country (for example because you fear losing your job)

I also want to know your personal opinions on sisters who don't wear hijab in the west for the same reasons (fear of losing their jobs, fear of having less opportunities in work and studies etc), do you think this sisters are condemned to hell even if they pray, fast, give charity, have good manners etc ?

Salam,

Islamically speaking you can hide your faith out of fear, whether your condition is dire enough is up to you to know. as far as not wearing hijab is concerned there is no doubt Hijab is wajib, as for the condemned to hell part, Allah promises in the Quran that the tiniest of good deeds will be reward so the good deeds will definitely have their rewards Allah is the most merciful and finds excuses to reward his followers. I wish you health and peace.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

You can remove hijab if the choice is life or death, but it would be better to relocate to a safer place if possible. 

It is equivalent to asking whether it is ok to steal to avoid starvation.

Edited by notme
Typo
  • Veteran Member

:ranting: l'm dissappointed. You know a better answer than this:"

4 hours ago, starlight said:

I believe the rule is that if you are living in a place and you can't follow your religion there for any reason then you should migrate to another country or city where you practise your religion.

Ayat 39:10 for one.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Ayat 39:10

Thank you and here is verse 39:10

Proclaim (O dear Prophet Mohammed - peace and blessings be upon him), “O my slaves who have accepted faith! Fear your Lord; for those who do good deeds in this world, is goodness (in return); and Allah's earth is spacious; it is the steadfast who will be paid their full reward, without account.”

• Veteran Member
3 minutes ago, starlight said:

Thank you and here is verse 39:10

Proclaim (O dear Prophet Mohammed - peace and blessings be upon him), “O my slaves who have accepted faith! Fear your Lord; for those who do good deeds in this world, is goodness (in return); and Allah's earth is spacious; it is the steadfast who will be paid their full reward, without account.”

4:97 was the Ayat l was looking for. This is which interpretation.

• 2 months later...
  • Basic Members
On 5/13/2020 at 4:23 AM, sya said:

Salam aleykoum,

I want to know if it's considered a sin to hide your faith in front of strangers if you live in a western country (for example because you fear losing your job

No, I dont think so 

On 5/13/2020 at 4:23 AM, sya said:

I cant give an oppinion without knowing the person or just make general oppinion. Anyway I have never met anyone who leave hijab because of job. 

But I wont condem they will go to hell !! We muslims are taught to solve and discuss under four eyes with علم (knowledge) we have, and to present ourself with a good sample for her (telling others to do without practicing for ourself is نفاق )If we can not, then pray and pray.. Saying something like they will go to hell to a person who dont wear hijab or who leave their hijab wont solve a problem but just causing a disunity among the ummah. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salam sis.

Intention plays a big role so only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows who will go Hell or not.

However, that doesn’t mean we abuse what is ordained for us. I live in the West, started wearing hijab at 17 and face hate crimes (especially now, corona has made people weird :hahaha:). But I know in the future if it was to prevent me from a job then (ideally Insha’Allah) I wouldn’t care. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) provides sustenance.

I used to work as a waitress before I wore hijab and then put it on and I felt I wasn’t able to practice my faith (ironically even though it was a “Muslim” owned restaurant). So I quit because my social hijab was being hindered. It’s hard but if it was easy wouldn’t we all be going heaven? Put your trust in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to provide for you in all departments of life.

Insha’Allah soon we won’t have to be pressured to gentrify ourselves to fit in.

Edited by Mariam17
  • Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, adi_a said:

Anyway I have never met anyone who leave hijab because of job. 

In many western countries It can be a problem finding a job as a hijabi. I have a friend who just started her own business. She use to wear hijab but took it of in order to get more costumers. I think some entrepreneur consultant advised her to do that. It is like there is a pressure on Muslims not to take religion seriously.

• Basic Members
5 hours ago, Revert1963 said:

In many western countries It can be a problem finding a job as a hijabi. I have a friend who just started her own business. She use to wear hijab but took it of in order to get more costumers. I think some entrepreneur consultant advised her to do that. It is like there is a pressure on Muslims not to take religion seriously.

I live in Indonesia, a sunni majority country. Wearing hijab (or not to wear) is not an issue. However some sisters (even fee of those Ahlulbayt follower) do that for reasons like; 1.want to looks "progressive or modern" muslims, or 2. according to their islamic education hijab is middle eastern culture and not something essential in Islam (they said that Jews, Christian, Majusi, Yazidis,etc who live in middle east also wear veil), or 3.they are just not religious muslim. 

More religious knowledge needed when talk with (2), 

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, adi_a said:

1.want to looks "progressive or modern"

Does that mean that hijab couldn't be "progressive or modern?" I think it depends on how you arrange it, what colors or motives it has on it.

8 hours ago, adi_a said:

hijab is middle eastern culture

To day maybe, but in previous times it has been the culture on all continents. Yes also in other religions than Islam, but for the same reasons.

8 hours ago, adi_a said:

3.they are just not religious muslim. 

Many non-practicing Muslims wear hijab for different reasons like culture, fashion, fitting in, belonging to a group.
There are also practicing Muslims who doesn't wear it because in their interpretation of the Quranic verses regarding hijab it is not Wajib. Only Mustahab or even just Mubah. It is a matter of debate because the Quran doesn't directly tell women to cover the hair. Only indirectly. Then it becomes a question of what your marja or some other scholar says.

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Revert1963 said:

To day maybe, but in previous times it has been the culture on all continents. Yes also in other religions than Islam, but for the same reasons.

Completely agree with this statement.

• Basic Members
On 8/9/2020 at 9:19 PM, Revert1963 said:

Does that mean that hijab couldn't be "progressive or modern?" I think it depends on how you arrange it, what colors or motives it has on it.

I know some sisters can dress good with hijab, but those who say it usually want to dress like westerner and they dont believe hijab is essential in Islam. 

On 8/9/2020 at 9:19 PM, Revert1963 said:

Many non-practicing Muslims wear hijab for different reasons like culture, fashion, fitting in, belonging to a group.
There are also practicing Muslims who doesn't wear it because in their interpretation of the Quranic verses regarding hijab it is not Wajib. Only Mustahab or even just Mubah. It is a matter of debate because the Quran doesn't directly tell women to cover the hair. Only indirectly. Then it becomes a question of what your marja or some other scholar says.

Thats true, this is a complex issue and again when speaking with someone, then we need to understand their point, as well as to understand the marja, or scholars they follow, cultural background and so on and so on. Religious non middle eastern muslima who dont wear it will usually see it as cultural things than religious duties. 

I am at the point to respect my sisters decission either to wear it or not. 

• Advanced Member
Just now, adi_a said:

I know some sisters can dress good with hijab, but those who say it usually want to dress like westerner and they dont believe hijab is essential in Islam.

What I was thinking about is that there is this narrative that Hijab is backwards, conservative and oppressive to women, but does it have to bee that way? In my country in Europe in the 70's, believe it or not, wearing a headscarf was a sign of women's liberation. Often associated with particular colors such as purple or a tie and dye pattern. It went out of fashion by the 1980's though, but it show that these connotations can change over time. Whether you see the Hijab as "progressive or modern" is a question of how you define those words. One could argue that protecting one self from sexual objectification is progressive and that standing up for justice and against oppression and Islamophobia is progressive.

• Moderators
On 5/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, sya said:

Salam aleykoum,

It is a sin to do nifaq(hypocrisy). Like if someone directly asks you if you muslim and you say 'No' even though you are (except if your life is in danger which doesn't apply in most work situations in the West), or you pretend to be another religion just to 'get along' at work. At the same time, you don't have to 'volunteer' information about yourself. I always tell brothers and sisters don't talk about religion at all when you are being interviewed for a job, talk about your education, experience, and qualifications for that job. The exception to this would be if you are being interviewed by an Islamic School or Institution. 

Also, I always encourage brothers and sisters to do some investigation on a company before applying. You have some companies in the US, for example ___, __, etc, who which are owned and run by Right Wing Evangelical Christians. Don't waste your time applying at these places. Either they won't hire you, because you are muslim, which is illegal but easy to get around this law when you have good lawyers, or if you are hired you will never advance beyond a very low level. You need to do research on the upper management and ownership of a company before you apply. If they have a Evangelical, Hard Core Zionist,  or White Nationalist bent, avoid them (and try not to consume their products if you can avoid it). I took the names of the companies out so not to get ShiaChat into legal trouble, but a quick google search will probably help you figure it out. If brothers and sisters want to ask me about a specific company, I can send you a pm if I know anything specifically about them. 

As for sisters who don't wear hijab, I am not going to judge anyone. Only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows their real situation, but in most cases taking off the hijab will not help them, it will only increase their sins. This is because if they are taking off their hijab to hide the fact that they are muslim, their bosses and coworkers will find out in another way. What alot of companies run by racists are now doing is scheduling company lunches during Shahr Ramadan. They keep track of who is eating and who is not eating. They can also tell by someones name, their facebook, instagram accounts, etc. Even if a sister took off her hijab, to hide the fact that she is muslima would be a major project in this day and age, since your employer has so much information about you already, that they don't need the hijab to be able to tell. If they want to discriminate against you because of their faith, they will do it. Taking off the hijab will not stop this from happening. Also, you may lose opportunities because of the hijab, but this is not really a loss since someone who will discriminate against you simply because you wear hijab is not someone you want to work for anyway. The vast majority of employers don't care about hijab or no hijab, they care how well you do your job.