Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What do Shia Muslims/Iranians think of the Qajar Dynasty?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

As-Salamu-Alaykum

Many Sunnis look up to previous Khilafah, like the Ottoman Empire, and whilst we lament some of the actions taken near the end (e.g. Tanzimat reform), we generally appreciate these previous Muslim Empires in their general outlook.

I understand that Shi'a/Iranians dislike the Pahlavi dynasty, but what do you think of the dynasty before it? In fact are there any Shi'ite empires/kingdom you guys look up to and admire as good/ok historical examples of an Islamic state - or is that not important for you guys?

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2020 at 9:12 PM, MuhammadHasanAlBritani said:

As-Salamu-Alaykum

Many Sunnis look up to previous Khilafah, like the Ottoman Empire, and whilst we lament some of the actions taken near the end (e.g. Tanzimat reform), we generally appreciate these previous Muslim Empires in their general outlook.

I understand that Shi'a/Iranians dislike the Pahlavi dynasty, but what do you think of the dynasty before it? In fact are there any Shi'ite empires/kingdom you guys look up to and admire as good/ok historical examples of an Islamic state - or is that not important for you guys?

Thanks for  starting a thread on history related topic. But generally few people seem interested in history of the nations since present time is considered more important,

The following links may be seen for Qjar dynasty and rule in persia.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Qajar-dynasty

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/qajar/qajar.php

wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Basic Members
1 hour ago, Muslim2010 said:

Thanks for  starting a thread on history related topic. But generally few people seem interested in history of the nations since present time is considered more important,

The following links may be seen for Qjar dynasty and rule in persia.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Qajar-dynasty

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/qajar/qajar.php

wasalam

Whilst I thank you for the links, I'd rather like to hear, what you guys think of them. How do you view the Qajar dynasty? Also if I was to ask you to give an example of even a decent example of a Shia Islamic state historically, which would you pick?

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MuhammadHasanAlBritani said:

Whilst I thank you for the links, I'd rather like to hear, what you guys think of them. How do you view the Qajar dynasty? Also if I was to ask you to give an example of even a decent example of a Shia Islamic state historically, which would you pick?

I think some one from Persia may shed more light on it. 

Would you like to contribute in this thread regarding Qajar dynasty?

@Ashvazdanghe

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Veteran Member

Qajars were the worst iranian rulers during the history.

As to your question, i personally dont admire any king and believe that most of the kings (iranian or non-iranian) were unjust and cruel but in my opinion, among the dynasties who ruled Persia, Al-e Buyeh, Al-e Ziyar and Zandiyeh were the best ones. 

• Veteran Member

The Buyid dynasty, or the Buyids (Persian: آل بویه Âl-e Buye; also known as Buwaihids, Bowayhids, Buyahids, or Buyyids), was a Shia Iranian dynasty[7] of Daylamite origin.[8] Coupled with the rise of other Iranian dynasties in the region, the approximate century of Buyid rule represents the period in Iranian history sometimes called the 'Iranian Intermezzo' since, after the Muslim conquest of Persia, it was an interlude between the rule of the Abbasid Caliphate and the Seljuk Empire.[9]

Buyid Dynasty

آل بویه
al-e Buye
934–1062[1]
The Buyid dynasty in 970
The Buyid dynasty in 970
Capital Shiraz
(Buyids of Fars, 934–1062)
Ray
(Buyids of Jibal, 943–1029)
Baghdad
(Buyids of Iraq, 945–1055)
Common languages
Religion

Shia Islam[4]
(also Sunni, Mu'tazila Islam, Christianity, Zoroastrianism, Judaism)
Government Hereditary monarchy
Emir/Shahanshah  

• 934–949
Imad al-Dawla
• 1048–1062
Abu Mansur Fulad Sutun
Historical era Middle Ages

• Established
• Imad al-Dawla proclaimed himself "Emir"
• Adud al-Dawla becomes the supreme ruler of the Buyid dynasty
• Disestablished
1062[1]
Area
980 est.[5][6] 1,600,000 km2 (620,000 sq mi)

Preceded by
Succeeded by
20px-Samanid_dynasty_%28819%E2%80%93999% Samanid Empire
20px-Ziyardi_Dynasty_928_-_1043_%28AD%29 Ziyarids
20px-BanuIlyasMapHistoryofIran.png Banu Ilyas
Ghaznavids 20px-Ghaznavid_Empire_975_-_1187_%28AD%2
Great Seljuq Empire 20px-Seljuk_Empire_locator_map.svg.png
Kakuyids 20px-KakuyidMapHistoryofIran.png
Uqaylid dynasty 20px-Uqaylid_Dynasty_990_-_1096_%28AD%29
Marwanids Blank.png
Shabankara
  • Veteran Member

The Buyids rarely attempted to enforce a particular religious view upon their subjects except when in matters where it would be politically expedient. The Sunni Abbasids retained the caliphate but were deprived of all secular power.[49] In addition, in order to prevent tensions between the Shia and the Sunnis from spreading to government agencies, the Buyid amirs occasionally appointed Christians to high offices instead of Muslims from either sect.[50]

• Veteran Member

The Būyid state was then at its peak; it engaged in public works, building hospitals and the Band-e amīr (Emir’s Dam) across the Kūr River near Shīrāz; it had relations with the Sāmānids, Ḥamdānids, Byzantines, and Fāṭimids; it patronized artists, notably the poets al-Mutanabbī and Ferdowsī. The Shīʿī nature of the state was manifest in the inauguration of popular and passionate observance of Shīʿī festivals and the encouragement of pilgrimages to the holy places of an-Najaf and Karbalāʾ in Iraq.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I think many Shias are big fans of the Safavid Dynasty under specifically Ismail I, but I often hear praise about other rulers too, like Abbas I and Sultan Husayn I. And of course Muhammad Baqir Majlisi (رضي الله عنه) was the most influential Twelver cleric of the time. That being said, there are many misconceptions surrounding the Safavid Era. Many of these misconceptions are discussed here:

Posted (edited)

Another issue is labeling an entire dynasty as good/bad, because these dynasties lasted a long time, and had many different rulers. I think it would be beneficial if we broke it down first by figuring out which rulers do Shia Jafari believers generally consider to have been bad rulers.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

To complete previous answers if pahlavis were a calamity regarding their cultural and religious policies, qajars were big incompetent with militar political issues. It is because of them that Iran lost Azerbaijan, central Asian territories, Bahrain and parts of Afghanistan. 

For a list of Shia dynasties:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shia_dynasties

Most notable Twelver dynasties... [Let me know if I made any mistakes]

Iran and Caucasus
Buyid, were Zaidi but later converted to Twelver
Sarbadar
Injuid
Safavid & its subsequent Khanates (autonomous principalities under Safavid sovereignty)
Afsharid
Zand
Qajar
Pahlavi

Bahrain, Hasa, Qatif (the latter two are located in modern day KSA) 
Uyunid, the people were Twelvers
Usfurid, the people were Twelvers
Jarwanid, Ismaili but Twelver was promoted and held prominent positions
Jabrid, the people were Twelvers

Indian Subcontinent
Nawab of Awadh (?)
Nawab of Rampur (?)

On 5/3/2020 at 8:42 AM, MuhammadHasanAlBritani said:

As-Salamu-Alaykum

Salam many Shias look up for future Khilafah by divine infallible  khalifah the 12th Imam , Imam Mahdi (aj) that all shia dynasties & kings are just have rule of safeguarding shia  community until reappearance of Imam Mahdi (aj) that Buyids were first dynasty of safeguards from out of Imamate lineage  that after centuries gave shias to perform their rituals in public without fear that their agenda followed by Safavids that provide safe environment for promoting shia community & great scholars that during Qajar dynasty we faced many disasters but survived as  shia country when Ottomans is fallen & perished but Qajar era was like a dark age of spreading superstitions in name of religion & loosing many wars against modern world then during  Pahlavi era we started modernization of Iran but when Pahlavis started standing against Shia Islam then people revolted against them 

anyway we don't recognize definition of Sunnis (wahabists) from Islamic state but we still seek for divine Islamic state by it's infallible leader , the Imam Mahdi (aj)