Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

:bismillah:

I would be really interested to see your interpretations of those things you mentioned!
and please do preserve your works of ballpoint on brown paper bag. Maybe you can keep them safe in a private folder, or sketchbook?

To me at least, I consider these really beautiful.
There are other creatively inclined people I can think of who would gain inspiration from these too - even though (and maybe because of the fact) they seem so temporary, raw, fragile and 'off the cuff' - straight from your heart & mind, onto the brown paper.

The idea of 'biblical themed trading cards' resonates closely, to how many imagine the standardised "Tarot" was compiled. But with the Tarot, there is a different philosophical tradition, often one that we don't agree with as Muslims, but certainly interesting as a topic of study.

I find your fresh approach really preferable - and the way in which you are more interested in showing a 'non-figurative' image i.e. no images of humans.
You mentioned that this is because of the constraint you feel in 'not being able to draw people or animals' - however, it's exactly this limitation that makes your images so interesting.
Especially when you consider the many Muslim artists through time, who felt similarly constrained - often because they did not want to attempt to depict something that only Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) had a right to fashion.

Thank you for sharing these, I find your work really interesting. :respect:

:salam:

On 5/2/2020 at 12:08 AM, GD41586 said:

Here's a quick drawing I did of a brave warrior who would fight to the death against a corrupt tyrant. It's not anyone in particular. 388410175_WIN_20200502_01_03_14_Pro(2).jpg.dc2f350ff8eceae056ffd925a3c68ad8.jpg  

It was a small picture that I was inspired to draw about 12:30-1am this morning when I was unable to sleep. Unfortunately, the resolution didn't turn out very well due to the small size when I snapped a shot of it as I don't have access to a scanner (the colored pencils I used to add a bit of "vitality" to it apparently weren't of terribly high quality either, but whatever).

Again, this is not supposed to be anyone in particular, which is why I gave them a face-covering helmet. It is inspired by what I think a brave Muslim warrior who would become a martyr against an oppressor would look like in terms of their clothes and battle gear.

PIcasso-esque "cubism" style quick-sketch of Kaaba. This took me about twenty minutes to add the color and slight shading, but I'm not terribly pleased with how the perspective of the roof turned out, so next time around I will get a sXe (straight-edge) and really plot this out much bigger on actual drawing paper.

This is to create a frame of reference for when I decide to actually paint/draw a full landscape of this amazing, intriguing structure that has captured my imagination and fascinated me to the point of obsession for the past twenty years of my life. I simply cannot stop thinking about this place, it's on my mind at least once a day. Inshalla, I will see it in person before I die.

(people are puzzled by why a Christian wants to see this rather than the Vatican city)

[medium: ballpoint pen & colored pencil on rear side of white copy paper.]

WIN_20200503_14_45_45_Pro (2).jpg

11 hours ago, GD41586 said:

@313 Seeker @Mohammad313Ali @Hayy ibn Yaqzan

Here is a better rendition of this amazing, beautiful place. This Bayt Allah that I cannot ever stop imagining & desire to see for myself.

(I requested a paper bag at the market to begin making these again)

WIN_20200506_16_58_39_Pro.jpg

Beautiful! You made me crave to see it too now.

On 5/7/2020 at 3:42 AM, 313 Seeker said:

Beautiful! You made me crave to see it too now.

Inshallah, we both will someday. Wouldn't it be something if we happened to make the Hajj at the same time??

On 5/7/2020 at 3:44 AM, 313 Seeker said:

I love your work 

Thank you. It's just something I do for my own well-being. Drawing relaxes me and helps me to focus my mind even if I can't draw living things (well, I can draw trees and flowers kind of)

21 hours ago, GD41586 said:

Inshallah, we both will someday. Wouldn't it be something if we happened to make the Hajj at the same time??

Thank you. It's just something I do for my own well-being. Drawing relaxes me and helps me to focus my mind even if I can't draw living things (well, I can draw trees and flowers kind of)

It really would! I hope that Allah invites us both at the same time :D

Please keep on drawing and sharing it here. I like your style and it soothes me to look at your work! 

This one didn't turn out so great & no disrespect is intended in the slightest (the exact opposite, which is why I made it. I was thinking about Him.)

My calligraphy needs practice, also knowing how to write would probably help :book:

WIN_20200507_15_51_11_Pro (2).jpg

Hi thank you for drawing but term of رضی الله is using by Sunnis while we use علیه السلام instead of it anyway thank you for your calligraphy & drawing that in future you can use following examples too.

image.jpeg.c506ab90d5ffe5bd1816564f4b5b1140.jpeg

image.png

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

6 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Hi thank you for drawing but term of رضی الله is using by Sunnis while we use علیه السلام

Thanks Ash! I got it off of Wikipedia's article about Him, and that did make me a bit apprehensive.

These ones actually look much less difficult, so thank you again. :thankyou:

@A_A @313 Seeker @Mohammad313Ali @Ashvazdanghe @Hayy ibn Yaqzan

Just a quick one for a Sunday afternoon (قبة الصخرة Qubbat al-Sakhra)... the Dome of the Rock

Might translate this one to a wood plaque tomorrow, would like to add color to it and that's the easiest way.

WIN_20200517_13_32_23_Pro (2).jpg

Love it! Please do share the wood plaque version of it with us, very interested in how it'll turn out Mashallah. Also consider adding a poem under your future artistic endeavors if you would like, I think it would be profound.

4 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

Love it! Please do share the wood plaque version of it with us, very interested in how it'll turn out Mashallah. Also consider adding a poem under your future artistic endeavors if you would like, I think it would be profound.

You know, I haven't even picked up a pen to write a poem since that one I posted the other day. I know that I have to in order to get better at it, I just haven't felt the light-bulb come on recently, although I really do want to be able to get to the point where I am like Amir Sulaiman sometime in the future although it is said that you have to do something for 10,000 hours to become skilled at it if I correctly recall.

Not to change the subject, but I was hoping to do more art inspired by the surahs and Quran in general. What I discovered from reading what I have of it thus far is that the Quran is a lot like the Bible in that it affirms a lot of the concepts mentioned in the Torah/Gospels; yet manages to be completely different as it is not in a narrative form so if my mind understands this correctly, the Quran is a first-person sort of narrative from the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) after Jibril gave him the revelation (and Jibril is referred to as the Holy Spirit in Quran).

My current idea is to do an illustration for the title of each Surah & that's a bit of an undertaking.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, GD41586 said:

@Ashvazdanghe @313 Seeker @Mohammad313Ali @A_A @Hayy ibn Yaqzan

With the exception of the shield, this one didn't turn out too bad.

(EDIT): I'm actually enjoying drawing these names even more than I thought I would. It's really cool to be able to create something beautiful that isn't a picture of a person or animal (which I can't draw anyway for whatever reason), so I think I understand now why most Muslims do not draw living creatures (I can occasionally do flowers and trees if I want to spend a really long time drawing slowly).

What could I add in the empty space to the lower right of that beautiful name?

WIN_20200508_15_46_27_Pro (2).jpg

:respect:wonderful masha Allah

I transposed one of my "trading cards" to a piece of basswood yesterday. The Varathane has dried on it finally, so that's why it tends to reflect the light a bit.

Hope y'all like it. Next one I attempt is going to be the Kaaba

WIN_20200603_18_34_38_Pro (2).jpg