Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
DarConall

Narrations that cause hopelessness

Rate this topic

I can't be the first to feel this way: a lot of narrations cause intense fear combined with hopelessness. We're to fear God, and rightfully so. However, we're to never lose hope in God. But how can one not lose hope after reading a bunch of narrations that quite frankly portray God as some type of sadist? One that's created this existence to severely punish 99% for not being able to be like the saints. What I'm saying isn't far-fetched. Just read a book like Greater Sins by Dastghaib and you'll know exactly how hopeless to feel. By the standards laid out in that book absolutely none of us has any chance of making it out of hell.

Audhubillah. Far be it for God to be like that. I simply refuse to believe in the narrations that portray God in such a way. How is it that we've complicated matters to such extend? I prefer the simple faith of a kid in God to that of hopeless punishment created by a bunch of narrations. Improving ourselves isn't gonna work when we feel like punishment is inevitable.

If you're curious: https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi

Edited by DarConall

1 minute ago, DarConall said:

By the standards laid out in that book absolutely none of us has any chance of making it out of hell.

This assumption arises of course from thinking that we (will) go to heaven purely as a result of our deeds, and not to a greater extent out of God's mercy, and clemency.

Do make a point of reciting the translation of dua abu hamza thumali :)

33 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

This assumption arises of course from thinking that we (will) go to heaven purely as a result of our deeds, and not to a greater extent out of God's mercy, and clemency.

Do make a point of reciting the translation of dua abu hamza thumali :)

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I knew someone would reply with this. My point is irrespective of whether our deeds alone warrant a place in paradise or not. It's why I only mentioned hell and punishment and not heaven and reward. My point is that these narrations seem to sketch a reality in which irrespective of what we do we'll almost surely have to suffer severe punishment. There'll always be something imperfect in us that warrants Gods wrath without his mercy.

Again, I'm not talking about paradise. And I personally can't bring myself to believe God would be like that. I'd rather simply go with the Qur'anic understanding in regards to punishment. It's severe, but there's a more fair threshold.

Edited by DarConall

15 minutes ago, DarConall said:

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I knew someone would reply with this. My point is irrespective of whether our deeds alone warrant a place in paradise or not. It's why I only mentioned hell and punishment and not heaven and reward. My point is that these narrations seem to sketch a reality in which irrespective of what we do we'll almost surely have to suffer severe punishment. There'll always be something imperfect in us that warrants Gods wrath without his mercy.

Again, I'm not talking about paradise. And I personally can't bring myself to believe God would be like that. I'd rather simply go with the Qur'anic understanding in regards to punishment. It's severe, but there's a more fair threshold.

Hmm, strictly speaking, matters aqaid (belief) do not require you to follow a marja or do taqleed of a scholar. You are bound to believe and practise to the extent of your conviction. If the understanding you derive from the Qur'an of Allah's mercy, justice, retribution is sufficient to satisfy the extent of practise you are capable of implementing, then that is enough. 

Knowledge should give you peace, if it causes you agitation and doubt, stick to what is comfortable for now.

There's actually an entire chapter in that book that covers the topic of despair/hopelessness in the mercy of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

I think it depends how one approaches such a book. There is great potential for self improvement and protecting oneself from sinning if one reads the book with this purpose. 

If you go through the list and descriptions of the sins, you must ask yourself 'why am I doing such an action and how can I try and eliminate it'

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all

You mixed So many thoughts  and I think it's necessary to analyze some of your words

God as some type of sadist? One that's created this existence to severely punish 99% for not

I think you didn't catch a true understanding of God's punishment  
Basically the punishment of God is exactly our action,
the fire actually is our sins in the hereafter
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَأْكُلُونَ أَمْوَالَ الْيَتَامَىٰ ظُلْمًا إِنَّمَا يَأْكُلُونَ فِي بُطُونِهِمْ نَارًا ۖ وَسَيَصْلَوْنَ سَعِيرًا
Indeed those who consume the property of orphans wrongfully, only ingest fire into their bellies, and soon they will enter the Blaze.[4:10]
 If you look at this verse you can figure out  consuming the property of  orphans is fire
in the othonther verse :
يَوْمَ تَجِدُ كُلُّ نَفْسٍ مَّا عَمِلَتْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ مُّحْضَرًا وَمَا عَمِلَتْ مِن سُوءٍ تَوَدُّ لَوْ أَنَّ بَيْنَهَا وَبَيْنَهُ أَمَدًا بَعِيدًا ۗ وَيُحَذِّرُكُمُ اللَّـهُ نَفْسَهُ ۗ وَاللَّـهُ رَءُوفٌ بِالْعِبَادِ

The day when every soul will find present whatever good it has done; and as for the evil, it has done, it will wish there were a far distance between it and itself. Allah warns you to beware of [disobeying] Him, and Allah is most kind to [His] servants.[3:30]

So On the Day of Judgment, in fact, one's actions will take real shape In other

In fact, the Wrath of God is not like our wrath,
our wrath is Internal transformation But God always constant without any changes.
God's wrath means anything that is not good,  bad actions, injustice corruption, etc.

14 hours ago, DarConall said:

for not being able to be like the saints. What I'm saying isn't far-fetched. Just read a book like Greater Sins by Dastghaib and you'll know exactly how hopeless to feel. By the standards laid out in that book absolutely none of us has any chance of making it out of hell.

As far as I know, it is mentioned in narrations that it's surprising how can one goes to hell in spite of God's vast mercy.

That is, if someone goes to hell with all the mercy of God, it is surprising, but it is clear from your words that if someone goes to heaven, it is surprising.
This shows that you did not have a correct understanding of the hadiths.
Hadiths have an educational aspect and should be looked at them in a systematical foundation perspective.
We have many hadiths that cultivate the seeds of hope in the heart and some fear. Both are necessary for hope and movement.

Edited by Sayed Hossein