Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Shia

Hair dyeing

Rate this topic

Guest Shia

Salam Alaikum, what is Islams view on men dyeing their hair? I can't find Sayid Sistani's ruling about this. My original hair color was Ginger blonde but now it has grown into a darker color throughout the years. And I'd wish to dye it into a brighter color such as blonde or bright brown.

Wassalam Alaikum.

Salam Alaykum

It is not haram in Islam for a man or woman to dye his/her hair, per se. And even it is recommended in Islam for a person, man/woman, to dye his/her hair with natural substance like Henna and there are many hadiths regarding this topic, like the following:

.سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع عَنْ خِضَابِ اللِّحْيَةِ وَ الرَّأْسِ أَ مِنَ السُّنَّةِ فَقَالَ نَعَمْ

“I once asked Imam Sadeq (عليه السلام) about the case of coloring the beard and head if it is of Sunnah.  He (the Imam) said: ‘Yes, it is of the Sunnah.’ (here "Sunnah" means the acts that were done by the Prophet so they are recommended). (al-kafi vol 6, ch. 30, h 5)

Ayt. Khemenei's reply to the question about dying hair for men, is as follows: 

"It is not permissible for a man to be like a woman, or to promote the vulgar culture of the West, or to corrupt and it is not permissible to earn money in this way. Otherwise, it is permissible."

www.leader.ir

Edited by mostafaa