Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ejaz

What is best way to introduce Christian friend to Qur'an Shareef?

Rate this topic

Salam, my Christian friend is interested in learning about the Qur'an al Karim. How should I introduce it to them as I am a simple layman?

Should I just read Surah Fatiha then read Surah Maryam? This is what we were planning.
Any tafsir you recommend? I was going to use Allama Pooya Yazdi 

4 hours ago, Ejaz said:

Salam, my Christian friend is interested in learning about the Qur'an al Karim. How should I introduce it to them as I am a simple layman?

Should I just read Surah Fatiha then read Surah Maryam? This is what we were planning.

So, brother,

what is her name?  

5 hours ago, Ejaz said:

Don't give your friend the Qur'an to read. That should come at a later point. If he's a Christian, give him a couple of books that talk about God's mercy. Reza Shah-Kazemi has a couple of really good books on God's mercy and tolerance in Islam. Start with these.

1 hour ago, SoRoUsH said:

Don't give your friend the Qur'an to read. That should come at a later point. If he's a Christian, give him a couple of books that talk about God's mercy. Reza Shah-Kazemi has a couple of really good books on God's mercy and tolerance in Islam. Start with these.

Yes but he wants to read the Qur’an with me. So I want to make sure I can make a true representation.

54 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

Yes but he wants to read the Qur’an with me. So I want to make sure I can make a true representation.

Read the Qur'an, simultaneously as you read those books. 

Also, when you read the Qur'an with him, read in the order of revelations. In other words, start with Meccan chapters, when completed, then proceed onto the Medinan chapters. This is important. 

Christians reading and focusing on the New Testament won't, at least initially, do not appreciate the societal context of the Medinan chapters.

Edited by SoRoUsH

Try to introduce him to chapter of Janabe mariam s.a and verses related to hazrate isa (عليه السلام) first. He will understand how respectful these figures are in Islam and how much Qur'an mentions them. 

This will surely make him more interested in reading Qur'an and continue his reading on other topics. 

Historically if you read  when early Muslims migrated to Abyssinia present day Ethiopia. Hazrat Jafar e tayyar (رضي الله عنه) recited  verses of Qur'an related to Janab e Mariam and Hazrat e Isa (عليه السلام) to King of Abyssinia who was Christian which  brought a soft corner in his heart for Muslims and the message of Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and they got the refuge. 

Edited by Nadeemsayyed110

8 hours ago, Ejaz said:

Salaam. 

I'd recommend you to read this coz if He wants to know more about Islam this will Help you.

http://hubeali.com/articles/Tabligh (Preaching).pdf

first show Him the translation then go with the tafseer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hubeali.com/tafseerhubeali/&ved=2ahUKEwj9jcfvj8_oAhWR_XMBHYVyDD4QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw24y-WRjmr4DRSGbUCciHjc

and if He is really interested then ask Him to learn the Arabic alphabets and finally tell Him to listen to the Holy qur'an online and concentrate on the versus (Arabic) while listening to the Holy Qur'an. That will be the easiest way to do so. and tell Him to ignore the non-Shia translation if He is listening the Holy qur'an through a non-Shia source.

And then gradually tell Him about Aimmah (عليه السلام) as well

On 4/4/2020 at 11:33 PM, SoRoUsH said:

Reza Shah-Kazemi has a couple of really good books on God's mercy and tolerance in Islam. Start with these.

May I ask if he is a credible author? He seems to be Ismaili?

2 hours ago, Ejaz said:

May I ask if he is a credible author? He seems to be Ismaili?

The two books that I read from him didn't make me feel suspicious. In his old book on Imam Ali (عليه السلام) he does consider a couple of sermons to be authentic, which I assume most mainstream Shi'ites don't. The sermons are about the status of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and God speaking through Imam Ali (عليه السلام). That being said, his book on Imam Ali (عليه السلام) isn't one of the two that I recommend your Christian friend to read. Read his books on tolerance in Islam and God's mercy. 

He's a legitimate scholar, and I appreciate his works.