Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
coconut

Is it ok to become transgender in Islam?

Rate this topic

Salam Alaikum.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion, I am not transgender or a part of the LGBTQ+++++++. I was born a female and I am still a female.

My fiance doscovered a Shia artist with artwork representing shiism. Turns out they support the LGBTQ+ and they are also trans (female to male). I brought that up to my fiance and he was supporting their choice. I don't even know if I should refer them as she or he. I'd prefer to go with she/her. I was so surprised by my fiance... And it made me doubt myself and made me feel like I am the bad guy. 

I understand their are people born with both sexs and thats something I understand. But in general, as a whole (excluding those born with both sexs and get to decide what gender they feel is right for them) does Shia Islam support being transgender? Is it ok to call a female to male a he/him and vice versa? What evidence is there from the rulings in Islam?

My marja is Sayed Sistani if that helps by any means.

Salam (what can I say in the end besides salam? I am not sure as my parents barely teach me.) 

21 hours ago, coconut said:

does Shia Islam support being transgender?

Ws,

To my understanding it does not, not as per the defintion of a transgender person according to the west. Generally speaking a person is per Islamic law as far as I know considered the same gender it was naturally born with for the rest of his/her life. Which means that for example, the rules of mahram and non mahram, what is haram and halal for men/women (such as polygamy and inheritance) does not change just because the person in question considers himself/herself another gender.

Furthermore, a man who for example would start to consider himself a women and then enter a relationship with a man would be classified as a homosexual and through the relationship he would engage in the act of homosexuality which is strictly haram.

There are exceptions however, such as people litteraly born with both genders, in that case the person is considered the gender that it uses for urination as per hadith.

I know that in Iran some people do change gender but they will need papers from psychologists and doctors before they can get the approval to do so as I understand it, though the reason they usually do that is because they are homosexuals and want to have relationships with the same gender so they bribe the psychologists and others involved. Out of the societies point of view, the reason they might accept that is because it is the better of two evils and it will not cause as much open fasad as for example two adults (clearly) men in open relationship though as I understand the procedure is hard to get approval for, strictly speaking at least. They can however not be considered the other gender until they get a sex reassignment surgery. It is quite the controversal topic and I am not fully aware of the details regarding the procedures.

Moving on, Islamically you cannot support the LGBTQ++++ movement as it would be supporting open fasad and haram.

It sounds like your fiance is more liberal(westernized) than you and that could become a big problem for you guys down the lane, especially when children come into the picture, you guys should probably discuss these things deeply, now rather than later.

I hope someone here can also provide seyyed Sistanis rulings on transgenders, I do not know them personally, maybe @Sumerian does?

5 hours ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Moving on, Islamically you cannot support the LGBTQ++++ movement as it would be supporting open fasad and haram.

Completely agree. This movement doesn't simply say 'it's okay to have these inclinations but don't act on it', it promotes homosexuality and all sexual relations outside of marriage, among other vices. All wrapped up in a Secular Liberal framework. 

Khamenei, Sistani, Khomeini, Makarim Shirazi, Fadlullah, Khoui (Khoei)

http://ijtihadnet.com/sexual-reassignment-therapy-form-viewpoint-Shia-scholars/

http://ijtihadnet.com/sex-reassignment-surgery-in-the-view-of-the-Shia-jurists/

https://en.shafaqna.com/35853/is-sex-change-allowed-the-grand-ayatollah-sistanis-fatwa/

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/Jurisprudence/sex.htm (Control+F for "Reassignment")

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4947205/

Absolute Permission: Khomeini, Montazeri

Conditional Permission: Araki

Prohibition: Golpaigani, Khoei, Tabrizi, Makarem Shirazi

Akhund Khorasani's position is found here: [Kefayat al-osul]. 7th ed Qom: : All Al-Bayt Institut; ; 1988. p. 374–5. Arabic.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
Many edits

Guest Lalamosa
On 4/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, coconut said:

Salam Alaikum.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion, I am not transgender or a part of the LGBTQ+++++++. I was born a female and I am still a female.

My fiance doscovered a Shia artist with artwork representing shiism. Turns out they support the LGBTQ+ and they are also trans (female to male). I brought that up to my fiance and he was supporting their choice. I don't even know if I should refer them as she or he. I'd prefer to go with she/her. I was so surprised by my fiance... And it made me doubt myself and made me feel like I am the bad guy. 

I understand their are people born with both sexs and thats something I understand. But in general, as a whole (excluding those born with both sexs and get to decide what gender they feel is right for them) does Shia Islam support being transgender? Is it ok to call a female to male a he/him and vice versa? What evidence is there from the rulings in Islam?

My marja is Sayed Sistani if that helps by any means.

Salam (what can I say in the end besides salam? I am not sure as my parents barely teach me.) 

There are variety of ways to understand whether a trans is biological male or female. Human skeleton has variation plus the brain signaling which could be understood through medical means as male tend to use one hemisphere while speaking while females use both.

Being trans is not sin in Islam. Being a gay or lesbian is haram. LGBTQ and similar organisations use these persons with abnormalities and spread the bad word even among healthy ones. So, they are haram and you shouldn't be afraid of holding such a view. As we don’t care if Islam is being called bad by western society, you should stay on right thing.

Tell this trans friend of yours that get fixed and get married to another fixed trans and don’t become a cause of bad things in this world.