Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
313 Seeker

Science Can be Wrong

Salam Alaikum,

I just wanted to make a topic where people can share all the countless times that science turned out to be wrong. Sometimes older theories were more right than the ones we have now, and vice versa.

Here are some "theories" that mainstream scientists changed their minds about (Wikipedia):

LINK: Superseded theories in science

Of course we can not take any of these changes for granted, as they too could be wrong.

I think it is important that we avoid glorifying science as ultimate truth. It isn't. What do you think? 

I think this is an unneeded discussion. Of course our science is not even a baby compared to the truths and reality. And its a enslaved, dishonest baby sired and directed by corporate funding and meant to help the economy and the state and not just purely mankind as it should have been, meant to enslave not set free. I think this is an unneeded, sad discussion.

15 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

I think it is important that we avoid glorifying science as ultimate truth. It isn't. What do you think? 

The science theories are prone to modifications and revision due to the concept of continual improvement in all the processes & phenomenon  occurring in the universe.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:55 AM, 313 Seeker said:

Of course we can not take any of these changes for granted, as they too could be wrong.

Mirage came to mind.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:55 AM, 313 Seeker said:

If science were to ever reach the point of being "ultimate truth" it would cease to be necessary. 

And who/what "glorifies" science anyway? Like art, science is an action, a pursuit, not a thing. 

What the op seems to reffer to is the new aethiest movment wich over glorifies science because they have a naturalistic world view, this movment is called scientism and its been growing in popularity to the point where Muslims in the past decades felt an inferiority complex and decided to prove Islam by showing "scientific miracles in the Qur'an" for example

Now of course this scientism movement is fallacious as science is not the ultimate truth and we should aspire to use other tools like phylosophy and logic , etc

Most notable (in my opinion) is that Scientists use to believe in the Steady State Theory. Atheists use to mock Believers for thinking the world was created. They thought the world always existed.

Science is working models. Muslim Scientists readily accepted the Steady State Theory despite it going against their beliefs, which is good! They should do that! Science is the realm of naturalistic observations. It doesn't undermine the Deen, as there are many sources of truth aside from science.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

1 hour ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Most notable (in my opinion) is that Scientists use to believe in the Steady State Theory. Atheists use to mock Believers for thinking the world was created. They thought the world always existed.

Science is working models. Muslim Scientists readily accepted the Steady State Theory despite it going against their beliefs, which is good! They should do that! Science is the realm of naturalistic observations. It doesn't undermine the Deen, as there are many sources of truth aside from science.

I found that in a lot of aethiest Muslim discussions the defention of the philosophy of science has been brought up a lot as it clears things and puts the defenitions in the right place which would basically force the aethiest to agree that what his scientists are saying isn't the ultimate truth and that science too is imperfect. 

Good example of this is newtons law which actually managed to put the first man on the moon, even tho this theory worked, it was proven wrong by einstein with his theory of relativity for example.

The reason I bring this up is because a lot of these aethiests beleive in some of these theories "because they work" but they fail to realise that a theory that works does not equate to truth and this also answers the question of the OP.

Edited by HusseinAbbas

16 hours ago, HusseinAbbas said:

we should aspire to use other tools like phylosophy and logic , etc

what is it that bothers about scientists using science?

Sometimes scientists are philosophical as philosophy is not limited to say politicians.

Why the need to prove Islam with all these tools to whoever? Showing off maybe

On 3/29/2020 at 4:55 AM, 313 Seeker said:

Salam Alaikum,

I just wanted to make a topic where people can share all the countless times that science turned out to be wrong. Sometimes older theories were more right than the ones we have now, and vice versa.

Here are some "theories" that mainstream scientists changed their minds about (Wikipedia):

Very true 

Science is wrong a lot of times and at times with disastrous consequences 

But scientific methods are time tested I.e how to evaluate and interpret information.At the very least in theory it encourages objectivity in its observations and methods 

14 hours ago, Reza said:

There are only two valid sources of knowledge: divine revelation and human experience. Science is one subset of the latter, among others. 

We see complementary wisdom, not conflict or contradiction.

Subanallah,  cannot put it better than that 

Even contributions by him(عليه السلام) are doubted, by those that lack conviction.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpf63iSMGNNREPpX7BAnG

OP: "Science can be wrong" but do-gooders are thoughtless

l found this old article while cleaning out some stuff.

"Divers remove fake tire reef in Fla." (Florida) by Brian Skoloff, AP, 10June2007

The world's largest artificial reef was created in 1972 when 100s of thousands of tires were dumped into the ocean.

These created "reef killer" "dead zones" and now (then) 700,000 tires have to hauled out of the water by divers.

2 million tires were dumped off the east coast of Florida.

These tires will now be hauled to Georgia and "...burned to power a paper recycling plant at a cost to Florida of $2 million." rather than the estimated $30 million because the Army decided to declare it a "training exercise" and will provide "its services for free".

On 3/29/2020 at 3:25 PM, 313 Seeker said:

Salam Alaikum,

No, Science can't be wrong

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

OP: "Science can be wrong" but do-gooders are thoughtless

l found this old article while cleaning out some stuff.

"Divers remove fake tire reef in Fla." (Florida) by Brian Skoloff, AP, 10June2007

The world's largest artificial reef was created in 1972 when 100s of thousands of tires were dumped into the ocean.

These created "reef killer" "dead zones" and now (then) 700,000 tires have to hauled out of the water by divers.

2 million tires were dumped off the east coast of Florida.

These tires will now be hauled to Georgia and "...burned to power a paper recycling plant at a cost to Florida of $2 million." rather than the estimated $30 million because the Army decided to declare it a "training exercise" and will provide "its services for free".

Can you tell me where science was wrong.

Guest Rowa

People glorify that term when ‘Science’ is basically just humans learning about the existence of things that have actually been around for millions of years and acting as if they created them themselves. People should be humbled by the fact that new discoveries only keep reminding us of how little we know about the universe, not start throwing around vague and nonsensical statements like “I believe in Science”, treating human baby steps like some sort of omniscient entity lol.

On 3/29/2020 at 2:25 PM, 313 Seeker said:

Salam Alaikum,

When have scientists claimed they can't be wrong? What's the point of this thread considering they don't ever say that?