Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Muhammad

Need help with halal items in Canada

Guest Muhammad

I am Shia and in Canada and not able to understand which products are halal and which are not.

Can anyone please help me and let me know which of the below products have halal brands that I can use?

If anyone would like to get in touch, please let me know as well, we can connect on Telegram In sha Allah...

I want to know halal brands for:

• Breads
  • Ice-cream
  • Chocolates
  • Biscuits
  • Chips
  • Ketchup
  • Pasta/Noodles
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Jam
  • Cheese
  • Hand-wash
  • Frozen food(fries)
  • Soaps
  • Shampoo
  • Candies

Please also mention on things I missed out.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:52 PM, Guest Muhammad said:

I am Shia and in Canada and not able to understand which products are halal and which are not.

Can anyone please help me and let me know which of the below products have halal brands that I can use?

If anyone would like to get in touch, please let me know as well, we can connect on Telegram In sha Allah...

• Breads
  • Ice-cream
  • Chocolates
  • Biscuits
  • Chips
  • Ketchup
  • Pasta/Noodles
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Jam
  • Cheese
  • Hand-wash
  • Frozen food(fries)
  • Soaps
  • Shampoo
  • Candies

:salam:

From the list, I only see problematic stuff with candies which may contain gelatin from non halal animals - btw some fuqaha consider it halal - and chips which may contain meat aromas - and it is not that sure that those aromas actually contain meat.

Try to take it easy brother.

Hi سلام breads & sugar & Salt & Pasta /noodles & Jam are halal but dairy products like Ice cream & cheese must be from milk of animals that their meat is halal about the rest you must check source of Gelatin & oil in products that have mixed content. 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

58 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

dairy products like Ice cream & cheese must be from milk of animals that their meat is halal

What do you mean brother?

What animals milk would be used for cheese or ice cream that would not be an animal that is halal to eat when slaughtered?

On 3/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, Guest Muhammad said:
  • Hand-wash

What is Hand-wash? Do you mean liquid soap? Soap and shampoo are only used to remove oil and grime, so they are washed off with water. 

For food items, if the packaging says Vegan or Vegetarian, it will not have an animal product in it (for example: gelatin, lard, beef fat, etc.). 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:52 PM, Guest Muhammad said:

• Breads Dempsters is good if you wants semi healthy go for the 12 grain in the red packaging. Stonemill is also good. Avoid any bread, pastries or flour that have L-cysteine listed in ingredients.
  • Ice-cream Hagen Daaz all flavors can be eaten except for those that contain marshmallows or are alcohol flavored.
  • Chocolates Godiva and Lindt are good usually unless again it has alcohol flavoring or marshmallows
  • Biscuits
  • Chips Que Pasa Tortilla Chips
  • Ketchup Heinz
  • Pasta/Noodles Most brands should be halal unless you are buying fresh packaged pasta which may contain cheese or meat filling. Also frozen pasta meals usually have cheese so not good. For noodles you have to look at ingredients to make sure it doesn't have pork/beef etc in the flavoring packets. I usually get mine from this pak/Indian grocery store called Iqbal foods. They have suitable for vegetarian options that are imported from India.
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Jam
  • Cheese Any cheese that doesnt have rennet or any other added animal products should be good but you can call the company and make sure. Halal cheese is available in Iqbal Foods in Toronto.
  • Hand-wash
  • Frozen food(fries) Cavendish fries
  • Soaps
  • Shampoo
  • Candies

On 3/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, Soldiers and Saffron said:

What do you mean brother?

What animals milk would be used for cheese or ice cream that would not be an animal that is halal to eat when slaughtered?

Sometimes they use milk of pig for making cheese so using it for ice cream .

19 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

I have never heard about that before, I googled a bit and could only find one or two instances where they made cheese out of pig milk. Pigs are not easy to milk and theres no pig milking machines and the milk does not taste good according to this article:

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/why-don-t-we-eat-pig-milk-cheese

2 hours ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

have never heard about that before,

I just saw it in Tv that made  dairy products from pig milk in a local festival in Europe to promote doing it between people but yet it doesn’t become an industrial process but some companies are trying to promote it between people .

On 3/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

That sounds like a great way to lose money in this day and age. Some fascist small European country might do it just for kicks though, but this is not sustainable from a business stand point because they'd get grilled by the Muslim and Jewish communities if they didn't label that it was pig milk.

That's not to say byproducts don't exist. I believe rice krispies have animal byproducts. as do gummies (sorry Michiganders!)

Edited by MuhammadFreeman

7 hours ago, MuhammadFreeman said:

That's not to say byproducts don't exist. I believe rice krispies have animal byproducts. as do gummies (sorry Michiganders!)

Thats the real danger, some years ago it was discovered that a juice by the brand "glocken gold juice" that used to be served in the mosque actually uses pig fat during manufacturing to conserve the fruits it makes juice out of.