Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Diaz

What are you doing these days?

Rate this topic

I am not allowed outside the house alone or in the day. We go for walks at night. I only really can stay in my room in the day. I am really bored...any ideas of what I can do to stay busy? I recite Quran, watch YouTube videos or lectures and play a game. 

On 4/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, notme said:

And washing an unreasonable amount of laundry. 

Crazy amounts..so much so i went through each item to confirm someone isn't dumping clean clothes into the laundry basket. :ko:

Washing machine not on its good days - taking upto 2 hours to do a medium load.. hope it just needs a break and not a replacement.

I built this garden enclosure to keep the deer out of our veggies.

IMG-20200425-184024.jpg

I haven't built the door yet. No big hurry because I forgot to buy gate hinges. Next, I'll be preparing the soil and planting, mostly herbs but a few vegetables. I'm putting my potted berry bushes inside the fence too, but they probably won't be in the ground. Not enough room. 

4 hours ago, hasanhh said:

@notme  You know a whitetail can hop in and out of that 7 foot enclosurer?

I believe my neighbors will have more accessible foods for the local deer population and they won't bother to jump, but I have a plan for if I'm wrong. I can get some more wire fence and enclose the top. 

I’m teaching my 13 years old brother how to pray, but he keep on forgetting some parts, is it permissible for me to pray loudly and then he prays behind me and hear what I say so that he can memorize it?

1 hour ago, Diaz said:

I’m teaching my 13 years old brother how to pray, but he keep on forgetting some parts, is it permissible for me to pray loudly and then he prays behind me and hear what I say so that he can memorize it?

You should pray maghrib, Isha and fajr aloud anyway as per various fatawa... so that could be an easy time to teach him, and for the other two, you could lead him in prayer and if he is unable to remember the words of the surahs etc in his mind to contemplate on as you recite them, then he can repeat a particular dhikr while following you in the actions.

13 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

You should pray maghrib, Isha and fajr aloud anyway as per various fatawa

I know but I pray then quietly because I’m not comfortable praying loudly. I think it’s not obligatory to pray loudly.

3 minutes ago, Diaz said:

I know but I pray then quietly because I’m not comfortable praying loudly. I think it’s not obligatory to pray loudly.

hmm, refer to your marja on this one. I had assumed you are male and a muqallid of Ayatullah Sistani. These are his rulings:

Ruling 978. Based on obligatory precaution, it is obligatory for a man to recite Sūrat al-Ḥamd and the other surah aloud (jahr) in ṣubḥ, maghrib, and ʿishāʾ prayers. And based on obligatory precaution, it is obligatory for a man and a woman to recite Sūrat al-Ḥamd and the other surah in ẓuhr and ʿaṣr in a whisper (ikhfāt).

Ruling 979. Based on obligatory precaution, in ṣubḥ, maghrib, and ʿishāʾ prayers, a man must be careful that he recites all the words of Sūrat al-Ḥamd and the other surah aloud, even their last letters.

Ruling 980. A woman can recite Sūrat al-Ḥamd and the other surah in ṣubḥ, maghrib, and ʿishāʾ prayers aloud or in a whisper. However, if someone who is not her maḥram can hear her voice and it is an instance of when it is unlawful to make her voice heard by someone who is not her maḥram, then she must recite them in a whisper. And if she intentionally recites them aloud, then based on obligatory precaution her prayer is invalid.

Ruling 981. If when one must recite aloud he intentionally recites in a whisper, or, if when one must recite in a whisper he intentionally recites aloud, then based on obligatory precaution his prayer is invalid. However, if he does this due to forgetfulness or not knowing the ruling, his prayer is valid. If while reciting Sūrat al-Ḥamd or the other surah he realises that he has made a mistake, it is not necessary for him to repeat what he has already recited.

Ruling 982. If while reciting Sūrat al-Ḥamd and the other surah one raises his voice higher than what is normal, as if he is shouting, his prayer is invalid.

Edited by habib e najjaar

On 4/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, hasanhh said:

l have been writing letters to people on my holiday card list. Length and subjects appropriate to the relationship.

So far my uncles and aunt.

Letter writing has become a lost art the social commentators say.

Having very few stamps at home, I went online and ordered a book of "Forever" stamps. Even if the price of postage increases, they will be accepted forever. I received an email today that my stamps were shipped. Waiting for my stamps to arrive by mail. 

Edit: I ordered a book of stamps because if you order a sheet of stamps the package to ship it is larger and might be bent to put in my mailbox.

Edited by Hameedeh
Edit

I finished the door of my garden enclosure yesterday.  It sits a little crooked, but that's ok; it is on a slight incline.  I had enough soil to fill the smallest of the three sections, and I planted six kinds of plants in it, herbs, onions, and cucumbers.  I will need to buy additional bags of garden soil, because there is nowhere in my property that I can dig from. I have an order in, and can pick it up when they tell me it is ready. It will be enough to fill one of the two large beds, insha'Allah.  My car isn't big enough to carry enough for both.  I'll have to make a second order, no big deal.

Also I talked with my youngest son's preschool teacher on the phone.  She was pleased that he is enjoying the videos she sends for the children, and that he is starting to talk.  We discussed giving him more structured and more difficult tasks at home.  

On 4/22/2020 at 4:06 PM, guest 2025 said:

I'm losing my mind over these weak verb conjugations. It's a lot to take in. May Allah guide me through this.

By the mercy of Allah, this is not an issue anymore. It was painful to even look at the verb tables in the beginning but once I got a couple down I guess my brain adapted and it suddenly became less of a nightmare. Thank you for the prayers.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:58 PM, hasanhh said:

22April20 50th Earth Day

l have stiII not seen any iinsects except some picnic ants when l mowed the yard this afternoon. Two groups.

No change essentially in 8 days.

lt froze again last night. Out temperatures are running 10, 15 and 20 degrees Fahrenheit below normal.

ADD: 40 minutes later:  l went back out for a reason and saw two bumble bees. :clap:

Yesteray, 01May20 l saw more bumble bees, AND one honey bee and one gray moth

Today, l saw more picnic ants in other places than before.

I dug up a lot of bamboo. It was a pain but now somebody else has to mow the grass. I've done my part. 

(We will see what actually happens!)

Also I picked up the bags of garden soil that I had ordered, plus picked up some artisan goods from the drive-thru farmer's market; soap and tea. I'm thinking of getting eggs next week, but they're so much more expensive than the ones in grocery stores.