Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How to get acquainted with Islam again?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I wanted to ask how do I get acquainted with Islam properly? I do pray, and often try to complete all prayers a day, but I feel like my Islamic knowledge is not strong as is should be.

For example if someone said to my how can you prove God exist, I would answer a few arguments before I'm confused. Or whenever people criticise our Prophet (s), I don't know what to say, I know that a lot of people take this stuff out of context and don't like to focus on the reforms and the changes he made to society. If someone was to ask me why do you guys follow the Ahlul Bayt (a), I would throw a few arguments about succession, Ghader Khums, the People of Cloak etc, before I start getting hadiths thrown at me proving that saying I'm wrong.

My knowledge of the Qu'ran isn't great, and I lack good recitation and rememberance of Surahs, apart from the basic ones. 

I don't know how to begin, I wish I could restart and learn everything, so that's what I'm trying to do. What would be the first steps? 

• Advanced Member

Salam,

Don't worry what others think or ask. Just worry about what God thinks or what your actions will do to you in e next life as well as in this life. Think about why you believe in God and focus on your own relationship with Him (what it means to worship and how you can optimize your worship to get closer to God). Study Qur'an slowly and take your time. Study what the Prophet ordered us to do. (Also via his family)

The greatest thing to do along with prayer (charity, praying self, learning, etc), and supplications, is simply remembering (zikr) Allah. Keep remembering Him everywhere, every time, every situation, and communicate with Him as much as you can. That's my advice as a 40 year old who has studied Islam for more than half my life. In the end we return to God, so only He matters.

4 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

Salam,

Don't worry what others think or ask. Just worry about what God thinks or what your actions will do to you in e next life as well as in this life. Think about why you believe in God and focus on your own relationship with Him (what it means to worship and how you can optimize your worship to get closer to God). Study Qur'an slowly and take your time. Study what the Prophet ordered us to do. (Also via his family)

The greatest thing to do along with prayer (charity, praying self, learning, etc), and supplications, is simply remembering (zikr) Allah. Keep remembering Him everywhere, every time, every situation, and communicate with Him as much as you can. That's my advice as a 40 year old who has studied Islam for more than half my life. In the end we return to God, so only He matters.

Thank you for your response, I'm with you in the remember Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in everything. Today I was on the train and there was crying baby, but all I could think was Alhumdullilah a mother has been blessed with a child. When I was walking today my mind just drifted to Islam, our Prophet (s), the Ahlul Bayt (s), looking at the creation of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), the sky the sun, the moon, the clouds etc. This is literally how 90% of my day goes every single day. The past few months the way I view things has changed so much, but theres so much more I could improve, my concentration in Salah in not always good, so my mind wonders everyday I try to look for ways to fix this, and I feel angry and sad, but I know I shouldn't drift away from worship to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), infact its gotten to a stage where if I miss prayer I feel ashamed inside.

Alhumdullilah there is so much information out there, it can get overwhelming at times. I wish I could restart from a young age, be put in a Saturday class and build up from there. There's no hiding it now, I'm now an adult, who's knowledge of the Qur'an is not good and who's understanding of religion lacks in some parts where others don't. Thank you for your  suggestion, I'll try take your advice on board regarding studying the Qur'an slowly. I should start off with the basic of pronouncing correctly I suppose.

In regards to studying Islam, reading the Qur'an is becoming a priority for me, I've only finished it once and I'm not sure how much of that was properly. About studying, al-Islam does have some good resources. The issue for me is that a phone is too distracting to be able to read properly, and some of the concepts are foreign to me as I haven't studied Islam properly in depth before. This is why I struggle to answer questions (but I have no doubt in my belief) when people ask me questions in my original post, I need to build myself up as beginner before I start to walk, on Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but also not just on the Prophet (S) or his family but also previous Prophets before. I'm looking for the best way to do this which is why I've come on this site! 

• Advanced Member

@Life2020

Thank you for your beautiful words.

The only thing I'd like to add are two points that might help you along the way.

One, concentration in prayer and understanding what one says without drifting into other thoughts is important. But the ability to focus comes in waves and can be triggered or disrupted by certain events and actions (it usually takes weeks to get back on track again). That's normal and just wait for the next good wave while having bad ones, and cherish the good times with being able to get really high in focus and concentration. 

Two, I would like to share my personal journey with Qur'an studies. First I learned off by heart some Suras when I was a young kid to be able to pray. Then when I was 19 and started taking life seriously I read the Qur'an in translation from cover to cover and it was the best time of my life. Then I started reading it in Arabic out loud while sitting on the floor without understanding it, as my Arabic skills were still very limited. Now I read in Arabic while cross referencing with English in parallel, because I feel that focusing on the meaning of every word and sentence is much better than only reading without knowing. But definitely reading Qur'an without knowing the meaning DOES have infinite benefits. Also I read and believe strongly that those who struggle more in reading Qur'an will benefit much more with each letter than those who are fluent.

Prophet Abraham was known as Khalil Allah, which is like friend of God. I try to always communicate with Him, and whenever I don't, I feel it was an utter waste of time. I wasted the period and seconds of my life when I wasn't thinking or communicating with God. Everything else is useless. Thank you for your kind words and hope you keep me in your prayers :)