Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How to purify appliances?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Assalamualaikum.

I’m looking to move into an apartment. No roommates, but the kitchen appliances have been used by at least a decade of previous tenants, and I highly doubt they all kept a halal kitchen.

How does one purify kitchen appliances (oven, microwave, etc.)? When I googled it, all I could find was people asking if halal-style chicken and rice was microwaveable.

Jzk

• Moderators

Just clean thoroughly. Your food won't be in direct contact with appliance surfaces anyway. 

For the microwave air intake, put a cup of water on a plate into the microwave and let it boil and make steam. (The plate is to catch what boils over.)

Guest Guest

From my understanding, you can assume that the appliances are all tahir, given that you did not observe their contact with haram food with your own eyes. Even if the probability of their contact with najasat is high.

• Advanced Member

Salam alaykum

Question: Can Muslim, who rents a fully furnished house in the West, consider everything in it to be ritually pure as long as he does not find any trace of impure things in it, even if the previous occupant was from Ahlul Kitab, I.e., a Christian or a Jew? What if the previous occupant was a Bhuddhist or an atheist who does not believe in God and the Prophets?
Answer: Yes, he can consider everything in the house ritually pure as long as he does not know that it has become impure. Just conjecture or doubt about impurity is of no value.

The above mentioned Q&A has been quoted from Ayatollah Sistani's website. Other marjas have the same opinion. So you're not required to purify things unless you are absolutely sure about it.