Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How do you feel about Islamic reform?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I'm considering becoming a reformist. what do you think? I'm interested primarily in Islamic feminism which I personally support. One of the problems I have with the general public is that people think Islam is sexist. Most people have a problem with requiring women to wear hijab and that it's stated that a woman's testimony is half that of a mans. While I agree that hijab is required I also feel that a woman has a right to her own beliefs about the issue and should be aloud to to take it off. I don't understand how a womans testimony is less than a mans and I've read in Islamic states like Saudi arabia women are treated like minors needing permission from a man to open a bank account and leave the country. I've seen a Saudi woman on youtube get asylum in Canada because she was worried her family might kill her for leaving Islam.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, musa shakr said:

I'm considering becoming a reformist.

Nothing mentioned in your post is considered 'reformist'. Perhaps you're looking for the term "progressive", which doesn't have a fiqhi denotation.

While I agree that hijab is required I also feel that a woman has a right to her own beliefs about the issue and should be aloud to to take it off.

Do you mean she should be legally allowed to take it off? Like how it's illegal in Iran to not wear hijab? In Iran, it is used to promote social unity, as it is not part of the divine sharia.

I don't understand how a womans testimony is less than a mans

In the context of men and women having different inheritance laws, it makes sense.

Further, I don't understand why everything has to be egalitarian. What's so epistemically great about it?

I've seen a Saudi woman on youtube get asylum in Canada because she was worried her family might kill her for leaving Islam.

She was a well known political pawn.

This has all been discussed extensively on this site before. Do a bit more searching.

Wasalam

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
  • Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Nothing mentioned in your post is considered 'reformist'. Perhaps you're looking for the term 'progressive', which doesn't have a fiqhi denotation.

Whats the difference between the two?

9 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Do you mean she should be legally allowed to take it off? Like how it's illegal in Iran to not wear hijab? In Iran, it is used to promote social unity, it is not part of the divine sharia

yes.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, musa shakr said:

Whats the difference between the two?

Progressive Islam is a made up term by laymen who want to change the religion to suit their values. For example, there is a TERRIBLE subreddit dedicated to this.

Reformist/Modernist however, is an actual scholarly term with legitimacy. E.g.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
Guest window

The way I see it, it's a slippery slope with the hijab. They should be required to wear it to prevent something much much worse in the future. After hijab something else will have to go, then something else, then something else, on and on until you have some western women, who can be so indecent that they perceive modesty as oppression. If you don't kill the seed, it'll grow into a tree. These aren't arbitrary rules set by Arabic culture, they are divine recommendations of God, so we should trust Him because He knows what's good for us as an individual and as a society. Basically what I'm saying is for the good of a society, you'll need to enforce virtues.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Before you do anything or form an opinion I think it would be better if you read through what scholars have said about the topic especially women and their rights in Islam.

I would recommend this book by Ayatullah Muthari.I read it 5 years ago and it did help me lot of questions.

http://www.islamicmobility.com/book-details/Woman And Her Rights

Edited by peace4alltheworld
  • Advanced Member
9 hours ago, musa shakr said:

I'm considering becoming a reformist. what do you think?

Can we "reform" our religion which is already at "kamaal" (perfection)? 

الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَأَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِي وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الإِسْلاَمَ دِينًا 

Guest Pschological Warfare
11 hours ago, musa shakr said:

I'm considering becoming a reformist. what do you think? I'm interested primarily in Islamic feminism which I personally support. One of the problems I have with the general public is that people think Islam is sexist. 

Reform implies something is imperfect and needs to be perfected. So, there is a concern about your basic understanding of the Divine Religion. You can perfect unless you consider yourself a God almighty. 

If you mean the way people interpret Islam is  a very different subject. Or how some Muslims live based on their understanding, which may not be perfect or accurate. But this also raises a very important and troubling issue, and it is the act that you can't differentiate between the Religion and the way it is practiced. With this in mind, I would desist from this thought and focus on first getting a proper understanding of the issue. What others think, implies you will always be against the Divine Will, as it does not confines itself to the will of the majority. You seems more concerned with 'Them" so, it will not be easy for you to follow  the Divine constitution.