Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Which is correct translation.....

1:7 The path of those to whom Thou hast been gracious;with whom thou art not angry, and who go not astray.

1:7 The path of those on whom have bestowed Favors, not the path of those who earned wrath, and not of those who go astray.

32 minutes ago, Shahrukh K said:

1:7 The path of those to whom Thou hast been gracious;with whom thou art not angry, and who go not astray.

1:7 The path of those on whom have bestowed Favors, not the path of those who earned wrath, and not of those who go astray.

Although both have almost the same conclusion but the 2nd translation seems to undermine the high rank of "Allathina" mentioned in this verse. 

Sirat Allathina an'amta alaihim (path of those upon whom You bestowed favors), this is not the end of the description of "allathina", ghayril maghdoobe alaihim..... is also the continuation of the description of allathina up to who never go astray. And such personalities do exist.

Surah An-Najm, Verse 2:
مَا ضَلَّ صَاحِبُكُمْ وَمَا غَوَىٰ

Your companion does not err, nor does he go astray;
(English - Shakir)

5 hours ago, Cool said:

Although both have almost the same conclusion

6 hours ago, Shahrukh K said:

The path of those to whom Thou hast been gracious;with whom thou art not angry, and who go not astray.

It says there is only one path.

6 hours ago, Shahrukh K said:

The path of those on whom have bestowed Favors, not the path of those who earned wrath, and not of those who go astray.

According to this there are two paths first path of those on whom Allah bestowed His favour, second path of those who earned wrath of Allah and go astray.

5 hours ago, Shahrukh K said:

According to this there are two paths first path of those on whom Allah bestowed His favour, second path of those who earned wrath of Allah and go astray.

Actually it only mentions one path which doesn't mean there aren't other paths to follow. 

The trouble with modern translations is their eagerness to explain scripture as they see it...as they see it.

6 hours ago, Cool said:

..., but the 2nd translation seems to undermine ...

The translation might "undermine" what is revealed, yet the Ayat will not 'undermine' anything revealed [Ayat 39:23]

3 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

The trouble with modern translations is their eagerness to explain scripture as they see it...as they see it.

Or in their eagerness to be popular with the Ummah or to be concillatory with Hezshatan (Yusef Ali's nearly century-old re-write -as it is more rewrite than translation- is an example of this).

8 hours ago, Shahrukh K said:

A  possible translation giving the complete sense might be as follows: (and I prefer to put it in two sentences).

"Help us to stay on the Straight Path - the path of those Thou hast bestowed Thy Favours on.

Not the path of those who have earned Thy wrath and lost the Way."   

5 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

Actually it only mentions one path which doesn't mean there aren't other paths to follow. 

Hi SoP

In my understanding, "path" in this verse does not refer to the specifics of faith, rather to the set of values that constitute the Straight Path and its application in our lives.

And that set of values is (or should be) common to all monotheistic faiths.

Surah Ash-Shura, No. 42, verse 16 says:

"But those who dispute concerning Allah after He has been accepted, -futile is their dispute in the sight of their Lord: on them is Wrath, and for them will be Penalty terrible".

Other traditions have also been cited concerning the matter, including a narration from Amir-ul-Mu'mineen Ali (عليه السلام). It says:

"Everyone who has disbelieved in Allah, on him is Wrath, and he is astray from His path". 42

In 'Ma'ani' a book of traditions, it is narrated from the Prophet (S) who said:

"Shi'ah (the followers) of Ali (عليه السلام) are those on whom Allah has bestowed the bounty of 'Wilayat' love of Ali ibn Abi Talib (as); His Wrath is not on them, and they are not on the wrong path". 43

42.Tafsir-us- Safi, vol. 1, p. 74

43.Ma'ani-ul-Akhbar, p. 32, tradition 8; and, Tafsir Furat-ul-Kufi: vol. 1, p. 52

Amirul Momineen ((عليه السلام).) said: Do not take us higher than the rank of being God’s servants, like Christians who did so with respect to Isa (Jesus) ((عليه السلام).). Refrain from such exaggerating attitude as I abhor it.

Imam Hasan Askari ((عليه السلام).) says: When Imam Reza’s speech came to this point, one in his audience stood up and said: O son of the Apostle! Kindly describe the Lord before us, because earlier people have given thoughts opposite to our religion. His Eminence ((عليه السلام).) replied: Anyone who describes God according to his own imagination and opinion always goes wrong and doubtful deviating from the straight path and believing in undesired words.

https://www.al-Islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-Qur'an-vol-1/surah-al-fatihah-chapter-1

https://www.al-Islam.org/tafseer-Imam-Hasan-askari/exegesis-surah-al-fatiha

3 hours ago, Shahrukh K said:

Not the exact translation of the ayah.

Literal translations are sometimes confusing whereas figurative speech tends to convey the sense better.

Perhaps not always but more often than not.

"To lose one's way" is an idiom. quite close to "going off-track", which is what the verse is trying to say.  

Abdul-Rahman ibn Muhammad al-Hassani quotes Ahmed ibn ‘Eisa ibn Abu Maryam quoting Muhammad ibn Ahmed al-’Arjami quoting Ali ibn Hatim al-Minqari quoting al-Mufaddal ibn ‘Umar saying, "I asked Abu Abdullah (Imam al-Sadiq [as]) about the Sirat, and he said, ‘It is the Path to knowing Allah, the most Exalted, the most Great, and there are two such paths: one in the life of this world, and one in the life hereafter.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, Shahrukh K said:

I have always understood it as three categories of people (based on the tafasir I have read):

1) Those to whom God has bestowed His grace.  

2) Those who are have earned wrath. (The most evil fall in this category, those who are not only misguided but who misguide)

3) Those who are lost.  (Majority of mankind fall in this category / they are in the dark and are in need of the light of guidance).

This is represented by geometrical cross, where the positive on the Y axis are the people of grace.  The negative on the Y axis are the people who earned wrath.  And the entire X axis represents those who are lost / in darkness.  

33 minutes ago, baqar said:

In my understanding, (2) and (3) refer to the same set of people, brother.

(1), (2) and (3) are each different set of people.  Almost every tafsir I have heard and read categorize these groups as three different groups.  Even as a kid going to Madressa, we were taught that these were three different groups.  (I am just realizing that my madressa may have been pretty advanced!...  or madressas these days are doing a terrible job).

Edited by eThErEaL

6 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Almost every tafsir I have heard and read categorize these groups as three different groups. 

Could you kindly quote one of the Tafsirs?

The precise and exact quote, thanks

1 hour ago, baqar said:

Could you kindly quote one of the Tafsirs?

The precise and exact quote, thanks

alright....  tafsir al-mizan.

image.thumb.jpeg.79399b2dc04edb1dbb236e1325ee54f6.jpeg
And Enlightening Commentary into the Light of the Holy Qur'an:

image.jpeg.dd7018b57a60e9702f122991012817ce.jpeg
And also:

I recommend you read the Commentary that Seyyed Hossein Nasr gives:

http://traditionalhikma.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Commentary-on-the-Fatiha-by-Seyyed-Hossein-Nasr.pdf

Edited by eThErEaL

On 2/28/2020 at 5:22 PM, hasanhh said:

Or in their eagerness to be popular with the Ummah or to be concillatory with Hezshatan (Yusef Ali's nearly century-old re-write -as it is more rewrite than translation- is an example of this).

The N.I.V is another example of this.