Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

feeling distant from religion

Rate this topic

Guest anonymous

Guest anonymous

Alsalam Alaykum,

I'm in real need of advice. Over the past couple of weeks I have been feeling really distant from religion. It really hurts me I have always been known as really on and close to my religion. I have not been able to get that push to return and to start praying again or reading the Qur'an. I really don't know what to do. I have tried to turn to friends for advice but they don't seem to understand my situation and make it worse for me. I don't see myself turning to family because they would not do anything apart from telling me off. I'm struggling and it has reached the point of it effecting my mental health. I feel depressed half of the time and have nobody that I can turn to.

Please can anyone advise me on what to do because I really want to go back to praying and reading the Qur'an but I just don't have the push. 

• Advanced Member

I’m going through the same thing right now. The best thing you can do is take baby steps. If you try to immediately get back to how you were before you’ll get really disappointed and depressed. 

Try doing one small thing a day, just for 5 mins listen to some Qur'an or watch an Islamic video on YouTube or even listen to a nasheed. Just know that the fact that you’re feeling upset about being away from God and that you want to get close to Him and the religion is in itself a sign that God wants you to come back and that you’re close enough to God to miss worshipping Him. Know that Allah loves you and even if you take one small step towards Allah He will take 10 steps towards you. 

Take it easy and take those baby steps and don’t beat yourself up if you’re not doing as much as you were before. We all have ups and downs. Allah loves you and won’t let your efforts go to waste no matter how small they may be. 

Surah Ad-Dhuha (The Morning Brightness) : (93:3) مَا وَدَّعَكَ رَبُّكَ وَمَا قَلَىٰ Your Lord has neither forsaken you, nor is He displeased with you,

Edited by Jannat786
Added an ayah I thought might help

We are all humans, no one is guaranteed heaven by titling himself Sunni or Shia or Muslim.  Just know it's not impossible for you to go to hell nor improbable for you go to heaven, you got to pray to God and fight for your soul.

There is no shame in motivating yourself by fear of hell, though some false hadiths make this like it's a lowly thing.  Actually, if you appreciate God's gift in creating you and who you are, you will want to protect. Fear is a protecting emotion that no one likes when activated, but it's hear to protect our souls.

As for the reward, you will get all you wish and more then you can wish for now.  Think and reflect what is at stake, and attach your ropes you've attached to what perishes, and to what remains.

No one is special and is guaranteed heaven, if we are too arrogant from his appointed ones we will face what Satan faced, so seek the intercession of Mohammed and his family, you will find them ever there ready to assist you and at your service.

• Advanced Member

1.Like someone said earlier do something rather not do anything.

2.Find out what is making you away.Most likely sins if yes try not to do them.

3.Fast for 3 days and do Dua inshallah you will see changes.

4.Ziarat Ashura and Hadith Kisa try to do them both.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:55 AM, Guest anonymous said:

Alsalam Alaykum,

I'm in real need of advice.

Hey!  You don’t have any issues!  

Over the past couple of weeks I have been feeling really distant from religion.

Why do you feel being “not distant” from religion will make you happy?  What will make you happy?  Is it really about “being close to religion”?  What does “being close to religion” entail?  Don’t give me an answer based on what scholars or teachers out there say.  Tell me YOUR personal answer.  And be honest.  Investigate this.  You might even say, “actually religion doesn’t make me happy!  I don’t like it.. and that is why I feel distant from it!”  I don’t know what answer you will give... I am just asking!  

It really hurts me I have always been known as really on and close to my religion.

interesting.  So, this is what hurts you.  The image your mind has created about yourself is hurting you.  The image you have of yourself based on what you think people have thought about you and are thinking about you is hurting you.  This is why you are unhappy.  You feel deprived and you feel a sense of lack.  And you imagine that you will be happy if you are likable to the people around you. And the image that you believe is likable by the people around you is your piety and being a holy person.  Well, this image you have is the deception of your mind because it won’t bring you lasting happiness and peace (even if you do acquire it)!  What is causing you to suffer is you wanting to be something you are not already.  You want something you don’t already have.  And this necessarily causes suffering.  

I have not been able to get that push to return and to start praying again or reading the Qur'an.

Why do you want to do all these things?  Because you want to become pious and holy?  And why? This is a bullsh** deception of your mind.  All the so called “pious” people out there are pretty pathetic and boring (a bunch of good for nothing show offs).  Why do you want to be like them anyway?  Just be who you already are!  God is not found OVER THERE ON THE OTHER SIDE (where the cool kids are), NO!  God is found RIGHT HERE, WHERE YOU ARE.  You  are perfectly alright!  You couldn’t be better.  Just be grateful!  He loves you the way you are!  Why else would he create you the way you are right now at this very moment????  God doesn’t change from love to hate based on the way you are.  Yes, you might change from moment to moment (you might sin then you might do good, you might pray then you might not pray etc) but God is always God.  You are holy right now through God because God is perfectly holy and present everywhere!  There is no aspect of yourself that can be conceived of without God being present there!  Because He is independent of you while you are entirely dependent on Him!  So you are, in this sense, already holy and pious!  You don’t need to be something you are not!  So don’t fool yourself alright?

I really don't know what to do. I have tried to turn to friends for advice but they don't seem to understand my situation and make it worse for me.

because your friends are good for nothing.

point of it effecting my mental health. I feel depressed half of the time and have nobody that I can turn to.  

because you believe in a lot of nonsense from those so called religious folk around you.  Tell them to get lost.  

Please can anyone advise me on what to do because I really want to go back to praying and reading the Qur'an but I just don't have the push. 

God doesn’t want your false piety (he doesn’t want anything from you AT ALL!  He is needless! You take that “piety” image you have and toss it in the garbage.  Get rid of it.  Burn it!  You already have everything you need!  You have God!  No need to be pious.  You tell those people around who expect you to pious to go to hell and ind their own business.  Tell them to let you enjoy basking in the Loving and Merciful Presence of God’s ever present Sunlight! :D 

Edited by eThErEaL