Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi

Is listening to songs allowed? Hadiths and rulings

Rate this topic

As salam o aliakum

Is listening to songs allowed in our mazhab?

Also pop songs with dance etc are obviously not allowed but some how about old songs or singers singing while sitting with harmuniom in frint of them etc? Or other kinds of songs etc.

If you have some Hadiths or rulings of fuqaha please share.

The Qur'an doesn't mention anything about music but if the song you're listening to is about negative things or motivates you to do negative things, according to general consensus, you shouldn't be listening to it. Some will say it's haram but haram, meaning forbidden, is something that'll get you into Hell thus is an extreme statement if not backed up by the Qur'an. Surely, the Qur'an being a guidance to all mankind would inform us of it's haram status, if it were so. Everything is Halal unless stated otherwise in the Qur'an. Some people would differ on that issue but what are we relying on the Qur'an for if it isn't our only true and unbiased source of guidance. 

6 hours ago, A_A said:

Surely, the Qur'an being a guidance to all mankind would inform us of its haram status, if it were so. Everything is Halal unless stated otherwise in the Qur'an.

@A_A

Is this so? This stance sounds similar to that of the “Qur’ānists.” I have thought, based on my research, that the Qur’ān is a general guideline or basis for Islam but does not specifically address everything. The narrations of the Ahl’ al-Bayt are more specific. However, isn’t there some debate as to whether the narrations of the Ahl’ al-Bayt are on the same level as the injunctions of the Qur’ān? After all, only the Qur’ān, as far as I’ve heard, is said to be free from error and/or interpolation, whereas some narrations attributed to the Ahl’ al-Bayt may or may not be fabricated, either wholly or in part. On the other hand, even the Qur’ān requires external context for its material.

1 hour ago, Northwest said:

Is this so? This stance sounds similar to that of the “Qur’ānists.” I have thought, based on my research, that the Qur’ān is a general guideline or basis for Islam but does not specifically address everything.

Disagree.