Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Moalfas

'Islamic Republic' of Cyrus the Great..

Rate this topic

A billboard has been erected in Tehran by authorities portraying:

1- The picture of Cyrus the great كوروش

2- The map of the first Persian empire (in yellow) 

3- Iran's current map (in white) 

4- Messages reading: 

'Tomorrow's Iran is the extension of Cyrus the great's goals'

'A land that maintains its strategic depth'

''Cyrus the great' had established his base from Sind (Pakistan) & Seyhoon in the East to Gaza and Lebanon in the west' 

Did someone say Islamic republic to pave the way for the Imam AJF? LOL 

IMG_7817.PNG

31 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

* Probabely Mashhad not Tehran

*Probabely done by municipality.

Yes.

I doubt you'd get road signs for Torghabeh/Shandiz in Tehran, but you would in Mashhad.

Indeed, it does seem to be in Mashhad as the road signs suggest. Apologies for the mixup.

Being in Mashhad would make this billboard an even bigger issue as it's right next to Imam Reza (عليه السلام). 

18 minutes ago, 000 said:

Yeah, Vakil Abad. I'm not surprised if the billboard is in this area

Do you mean the area's residents? Could you elaborate? 

6 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Indeed, it does seem to be in Mashhad as the road signs suggest. Apologies for the mixup.

Being in Mashhad would make this billboard an even bigger issue as it's right next to Imam Reza (عليه السلام). 

1 minute ago, Moalfas said:

Do you mean the area's residents? Could you elaborate? 

Western part of Mashhad and this neighborhood particularly is not known for religiosity of its residents. It's comparable to Northern Tehran area.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, 000 said:

Western part of Mashhad and this neighborhood particularly is not known for religiosity of its residents. It's comparable to Northern Tehran area.

It seems like you're suggesting that either a resident put that up or the authorities did so because the area is less religious? 

3 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

It seems like you're suggesting that either a resident put that up or the authorities did so because the area is less religious? 

I don't know. I just want to point out that Iranian society is not that monolithic. Even if the billboard was put by authority, it's important to know that there are two 'state/system' in Iran.

Edited by 000

9 minutes ago, Revert1963 said:

Didn't he conquer The Crimea also? Or was that an other one of the Achaemenid kings?

I believe it was under Darius I when they took Crimea. 

Cyrus the Great,[7]and also called Cyrus the Elder by the Greeks, was the founder of the Achaemenid Empire, the first Persian Empire.[8] Under his rule, the empire embraced all the previous civilized states of the ancient Near East,[8] expanded vastly and eventually conquered most of Western Asia and much of Central Asia. From the Mediterranean Sea and Hellespont in the west to the Indus River in the east, Cyrus the Great created the largest empire the world had yet seen.[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_the_Great

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_the_Great

26 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

did so because the area is less religious?

Less religious = more nationalistic. That is what I have observed in my life.

I don’t think its right to jump to conclusions that seyyed Khamenei has some kind of ulterior sinister agenda based on one billboard in a irreligious residence area in one part of Mashhad. 

42 minutes ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Less religious = more nationalistic. That is what I have observed in my life.

I don’t think its right to jump to conclusions that seyyed Khamenei has some kind of ulterior sinister agenda based on one billboard in a irreligious residence area in one part of Mashhad. 

I don’t know I also know many people who are nationalists and are religious.

The type of residents in the area is irrelevant and frankly absurd in the context of this billboard which speaks for itself. 

Had I been a follower of the superme Leader, I'd be more concerned with finding out the ones who made and authorised the billboard rather than try to discredit it or make excuses. 

Edited by Moalfas

7 hours ago, Moalfas said:

'A land that maintains its strategic depth' 

Bear in mind everyone that having an empire is not the same as having 'strategic depth'. The concept comes up most frequently in relation to Pakistan's relationship with Afghanistan.

In military terms, this broadly refers to the distances between the front lines and a country’s industrial nucleus, population centers, heartlands and locations of its military industry. The argument that underscores this concept is that a military commander must consider the vulnerability of its assets to an offensive, and consider whether it can withdraw into its own territory, absorb an initial thrust and regroup.

https://www.fairobserver.com/region/central_south_asia/the-genesis-of-pakistans-strategic-depth-in-afghanistan-88910/

So in the context of the OP, I think it's referring to the idea that Iran anticipates its military front lines being regional rather than on its own soil. We've seen examples of this already with engagements with the U.S. being on Saudi and Iraqi soil. Those countries know that if matters escalate they will be in the front line.

It seems a neat reversal of what has happened in recent years when the U.S. attacked Iraq from neighbouring countries. If the Saudis and Kuwaitis had appreciated that there would be direct blowback onto their territories, they may have been less likely to aid the invasion of Iraq.

54 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Bear in mind everyone that having an empire is not the same as having 'strategic depth'.

'Tomorrow's Iran is the extension of Cyrus the great's goals'

Pretty explanatory. 

54 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I think it's referring to the idea that Iran anticipates its military front lines being regional rather than on its own soil.

What's there to anticipate when this is already the case? 

Iran already has military front lines spanning vast regional jurisdictions. 

The billboard is amazingly self explanatory in that it's referring to 'Tomorrow's Iran' and the goals of the first Persian emperor.

IMG_7816.JPG

The "news" from Iran quite often turns out to be an exaggeration or a misunderstanding. The billboard could be a clever photoshop. 

Persians and their derivatives have a hand in the region for the past five thousand year.

This to me is not surprising it is only natural, modern day Persia has Imperial aspirations, they also have a track record of managing the region better than those who are currently managing it.

Turkey is the successor of the Roman Empire, and it will Resist any Persian expansionism.

This is why Saudi Arabia seeks America as a guarantor of security in the region other than its to Natural Rivals Turkey and Persia.

8 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

I don’t know I also know many people who are nationalists and are religious.

Ofcourse they have been persians for thousands of yrs 

Only in late ummayyad period did Iran become majority Muslim 

17 hours ago, Moalfas said:

Tomorrow's Iran is the extension of Cyrus the great's goals'

Imam Khomeini (رضي الله عنه) clearly said he wants to take Iran back 1400 years to the time of Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). To me the vision of Iran is pretty clear - to pave the path of Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام).

Don't dwell too deep into these things lol, they're a distraction and not true. 

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

16 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

The "news" from Iran quite often turns out to be an exaggeration or a misunderstanding. The billboard could be a clever photoshop. 

Whilst all news can be exaggerated, this billboard can hardly be misunderstood. 

I certainly hope that it's a clever photoshop but have yet to see the evidence. 

14 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Imam Khomeini (رضي الله عنه) clearly said he wants to take Iran back 1400 years to the time of Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). To me the vision of Iran is pretty clear - to pave the path of Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام).

Don't dwell too deep into these things lol, they're a distraction and not true. 

Dwelling deep into ones personal and collective actions and mistakes is the only way to truly pave the path for the Imam AJF. 

8 hours ago, Moalfas said:

I certainly hope that it's a clever photoshop but have yet to see the evidence. 

When you started this topic, there was only one person on Twitter who uploaded the image in a tweet and three people who retweeted it. 

On 2/20/2020 at 10:38 PM, Hameedeh said:

When you started this topic, there was only one person on Twitter who uploaded the image in a tweet and three people who retweeted it. 

My source of the image was actually a news outlet and not twitter. I will pretend I did not understand what you were trying to infer.

After a quick twitter search, there were 3 people who posted the image a day before I started the thread.

One tweet suggested that the authorities, not long ago, had sent messages threatening people who celebrate Cyrus day and closed the roads to stop people from attending.

Yet during elections, Cyrus the great is used to entice the Iranians to take part in the elections to fulfill the 'goals' of first Persian emperor. 

Can the followers of the superme Leader please clarify how invoking such nationalistic frevour is apparently inline with paving the way for the Imam AJF? 

IMG_7844.PNG