Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it haram to research Sihr.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Is it haram to research sihr. I really want to know how the magicians work and what they use and how they do it. I have no intention of doing it myself of course, may Allah protect us from the harm of Sihr. I just want to broaden my knowledge and maybe protect myself from Sihr this way.

• Advanced Member

“And they followed what the Shaitans chanted of sorcery in the reign of Sulayman, and Sulayman was not an unbeliever, but the Shaitans disbelieved, they taught men sorcery and that was sent down to the two angels at Babel, Harut and Marut, yet these two taught no man until they had said, “Surely we are only a trial, therefore do not be a disbeliever.” Even then men learned from these two, magic by which they might cause a separation between a man and his wife; and they cannot hurt with it any one except with Allah’s permission, and they learned what harmed them and did not profit them, and certainly they know that he who bought it should have no share of good in the hereafter and evil was the price for which they sold their souls, had they but known this”. (2:102)

• Advanced Member

Sulayman is said to have practiced magic and Nabi Musa practiced magic in a contest with Pharaohs magicians. Only that Nabi Musa's magic was from Allah and done to prove the point that Allah is greater that anything they put beside him. There is this notion of two kind of magic. One that is from Shaitan that is black magic and one that is from Allah that is white magic. The purpose of black magic is to harm someone. The purpose of white magic is to do good and is often equated with making dua for someone. According to folklore, magic spell-books of old was often divided in two part. The first part with white magic and the second part with black magic. If you read the first part you could still salvage your soul. However if you read the second part Shaitan would have you. Shaitan made the sorcerers write the books in this way so that any one reading the first half would be tempted to read the second part also. So beware of studying magic and don't practice it.

I guess that when you have posted your question in the forum Jurisprudence/Laws you would like to have a Marja's ruling on it. Below here is a link to Sayyid Ali Khamenei 's fatwa on magic:

https://www.leader.ir/en/book/pdf/t/23/23083

Edited by Revert1963
  • Advanced Member

@dragonxx @Revert1963

Hi and thank you all for your replies. I think I’m misunderstood. Nor do I want to practice black magic nor do I want to teach it. I only want to learn some books and expand my knowledge that’s all. Does anyone know the ruling on this. I know that for Sunnis it’s haram to research black magic but what about us?

• Veteran Member

The Prophet sulayman (عليه السلام) and Prophet musa (عليه السلام) did not practise magic. They came with miracles from Allah. And some evil ones placed books of magic under sulayman throne to cause people to think he practised magic after him.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, ahlulbaytkr said:

@dragonxx @Revert1963

Hi and thank you all for your replies. I think I’m misunderstood. Nor do I want to practice black magic nor do I want to teach it. I only want to learn some books and expand my knowledge that’s all. Does anyone know the ruling on this. I know that for Sunnis it’s haram to research black magic but what about us?

9 hours ago, dragonxx said:

Even then men learned from these two,

even if you don't practice it, just learning it is not allowed. The "stories" you hear from people should suffice.

Furthermore, if you try to simply learn and not use it, the jinn will not allow you to simply walk away. For example, the moment you acquire a book about black magic you are setting yourself up for a horror movie.

The shaytan is cunning, however by following Allah's warnings he is easy to outsmart. Qur'an says don't learn, means don't learn, no matter what. Go expand your knowledge on things that you will actually use in your life.

As for protection from black magic, the Qur'an and hadiths of Ahlul Bayt ((عليه السلام)) are certainly enough to guide you, or do you doubt the root of your own faith?

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, ahlulbaytkr said:

@dragonxx @Revert1963

Ayatollah Sayyid Ali KhameneI is pretty clear about it in his ruling. It is haram even just to learn it.

A: It is ḥarām to learn or teach or learn conjuring which is considered as a kind of magic.

• Veteran Member

It is haraam to practice Sihr. There is no power left in it btw. When the holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was born it was neutralized and its practitioners' top echelons were slain (Tabari). Now there are only weak little tricks and much harm to the practitioners left. Its why they seek help from the Jinn, the next step. Then they become slaves to them. And only eternal fires are left for them. None who are sensible should bother with it.

• Advanced Member

The underlying reason behind why it's forbidden is not only because you may develop the desire to perform it after learning about it (since the will of man is weak) but because as you learn about it, you're already inviting unwelcome Jinn to your presence even if your intentions are good. Merely attention given to them is enough though I will not lie, I have learned interesting and useful things researching it but I reached the point where I realized it was becoming dangerous and stopped. Our deeds are judged based on intention and I do not believe I sinned, and frankly, don't give a damn what others say in regards to Halal and Haram considering that Muslims have done a great job playing God forbidding everything. 

Your question should be why would you research sihr? You won't grow spiritually and in terms of protection, your own faith in God is better than anything else. If you want advice, just don't accept gifts given to you by suspicious people, don't invite suspicious people, don't go to suspicious places, don't show off and always read surat al-Nas and surat al-Falaq. 

I hope this answers your question.