Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Haji 2003

We don't use alcohol based hand sanitisers do we?

Or do we? This seemed like good value, but I thought I would ask. It's £20 for 5 litres. So eminently suitable for extended Asian families like mine.

This makes it 40p per 100ml. Going rate at Tesco is about £1.00 per 100ml. Though this industrial quantity does go up to 50p per 100ml if you include the cost of the dispenser you'll need to pour out smaller quantities.

61AkFU-k6KL._SL1464_.jpg

10 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Or do we?

We do.

Rubbing alcohol  (isopropyl alcohol) is what gives the hand sanitizer it's antiseptic property.

11 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

So eminently suitable for extended Asian families like mine.

Washing hands with soap is always better in my opinion. I don't know why my kids school insist children carry it with them.

I only use it if I am travelling or don't have access to clean water and soap. 

33 minutes ago, starlight said:

I only use it if I am travelling or don't have access to clean water and soap.

Yes this would be for out-of-home use. My concern e.g. with toilets in offices is that the blow dryers can be hotbeds for germs, e.g.:

To test this theory, scientists exposed petri dishes to bathroom air under different conditions and took them back to the microbiology laboratory to look for bacterial growth. Petri dishes exposed to bathroom air for two minutes with the hand dryers off only grew one colony of bacteria, or none at all. However, petri dishes exposed to hot air from a bathroom hand dryer for 30 seconds grew up to 254 colonies of bacteria (though most had from 18 to 60 colonies of bacteria).

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-bacterial-horror-of-the-hot-air-hand-dryer-2018051113823

There are also other options, or things I have personally used. One is Potassium Permanganate solution (often called pinky). Put a tsp in a large bowl of water and it will turn red. Because you might want something that also covers fungii and virii. We used to rinse drinking glasses in pinky in school for disinfection. Put some lime (CaO) in water and mix until either the pH rises to 11+ or the color becomes milky and you have a cheap and equally effective general purpose sanitizer but not meant for skin contact. For skin contact simple soap can -generally- be enough. Simple soap will even kill parasites and insects including ticks and house flies.

My children's school requires that I send in a big bottle of hand sanitizer at the beginning of each school year. At home, we use soap and water. A bottle like that one ^ might make a schoolteacher very happy, assuming that they already have classroom sized dispensers. 

Btw vinegar is also a natural capable general disinfectant. Since synthetic vinegar is not recommended for consumption I have used it to this end.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:52 PM, Haji 2003 said:

My concern e.g. with toilets in offices is that the blow dryers can be hotbeds for germs, e.g.:

Yeah, I too read somewhere how germ infested those dryers are and have been avoiding them ever since. Either I will use clean tissue papers from my purse or if the occasion allows I use my dopatta for drying my hands :D 

On 2/14/2020 at 6:42 PM, The Green Knight said:

One is Potassium Permanganate solution (often called pinky)

Isn't KMnO4 harmful if ingested?

33 minutes ago, The Green Knight said:

Btw vinegar is also a natural capable general disinfectant.

This is excellent especially for cleaning floor, counter tops and other areas in the kitchen since it's safe even if consumed. 

On 2/14/2020 at 7:16 AM, starlight said:

Washing . . . (soap)

Sorry, my computer, which l named Fritz, is on the fritz again.

l understand lye soap is the best. l have some.  lt is good for poison ivy and other skin problems.

l knew from an 80s TV report, ABC l am sure of, said the same about air dryers. Over the years l noticed there are fewer of these than back then. ( @Haji 2003 )

29 minutes ago, starlight said:

l read a book about some Westerners in Nationalist China in the 30s and they used KMnO4 to wash the vegitables they bought on the street.  ADD:  [ l half remmbered the book and Iooked it up, The Chinese Black Chamber.]

Sayyid Sistani (ethanol) does put a caution on it but regardless its considerd as pure

Edited by Rohani

3 hours ago, starlight said:

Only in significant doses it first begins to irritate the gut. But more or less you are right too and it requires careful use / adult supervision / limited access.kmno4.png.042f5b612848094ab94b73a5c286833a.png

On 2/14/2020 at 6:59 AM, Haji 2003 said:

Or do we?

We do, it’s tahir, and it works well. Don’t use too much or it will dry out your hands.

A huge container is more troublesome, although more cost effective than travel size containers.

9 hours ago, Reza said:

A huge container is more troublesome, although more cost effective than travel size containers.

I wasn't thinking of carrying it around with me.

:pushup2:

It comes with a dispenser and you can refill the smaller bottles. Reminds me of when I was 11 and got a syringe off a relative, obvious use was to refill the cartridges of my cartridge ink pen with bottled ink.

Happy days.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:16 AM, starlight said:

Washing hands with soap is always better in my opinion.

l think this depends on the soap. Many soaps have chemicals to "lather them up", have perfumes, some chemicals are allerigens for some people, or an irritant.

l prefer a lye soap. A little rub off the bar with wet hand, and when l rinse them my skin squeaks. That's clean.

Great for showers, too.

I went for the Solo brand at the top of the page. Might seem like overkill, but since a cheap 100ml bottle costs £1.35, I reckon I only need to refill 15 bottles before I get my money back, everything after that is basically for free.

Also got these. Flip top lids, and 100ml. Cost about £1 each, but they are re-usable and the product is aimed at those people who want to take fluids on planes, so useful in the long-term as well.

61dNTo4fXNL._SL1500_.jpg

47 minutes ago, Revert1963 said:

I think as long as you don't drink the hand sanitizer. :coffee::ko::help: 

Could be done by some people. The wine-o's use to drink Sterno cooking fuel. Then back in the 70s the company was pressure into reducing the alcohol content and that about ruined the product. l haven't seen it for sale for years.

2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l prefer a lye soap

Doesn't it dry the skin? I use dove,  nothing but dove. My hands are very dry and every other soap I have tried makes them chapped.

4 hours ago, starlight said:

Doesn't it dry the skin? I use dove,  nothing but dove. My hands are very dry and every other soap I have tried makes them chapped.

No it doesn't. Not mine, anyway. l am more interested in getting the grime off than anything else. I use a brush, too. And it is OK to shave with, but a cheap hand soap does that better.

9 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Could it be that some of the vinegar in the supermarkets in the West are this kind of vinegar?
I mean those they sell as foodstuff. 

Maybe. It looks like potable, clear water.

Depending on what I touched, I like to use combination of hand sanitizer and soap and towel

2 minutes ago, azizaliallah said:

towel

Towel is another pool of germs in my opinion. Maybe I am obsessive compulsive about this but I can't share with soap and towel with anyone,  not even my kids. 

On 2/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, starlight said:

Towel is another pool of germs in my opinion. Maybe I am obsessive compulsive about this but I can't share with soap and towel with anyone,  not even my kids. 

I am a firm believer, of everybody keeping their own personal hygienic tools for themselves and not to share. 

Yeah I don't think you're a germaphobe.

I wonder what happens to you when you walk into a Wudu chamber run by some musilm communities in the west.

The best wudu Chambers I have seen by far are run by Ahemdis. 

15 minutes ago, azizaliallah said:

I wonder what happens to you when you walk into a Wudu chamber run by some musilm communities in the west.

I don't live in the west but east is even worse when it comes to public washrooms. Sadly, the absolute filthiest stinkiest bathrooms I have been to in my life were in Samarra and Kadhmain shrines :( 

I know Iraq the back of my hand, I don’t call it upside down land for free.

Nothing positive about Iraq other than the shrines. 

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for looking at Iraq with a positive light.

I'm waiting for Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) The man to turn it right side up. Inshallah.

And if that's not his job, I'm waiting for the Iraqi people to wake up and do the right thing. Ameen.

Other than that we can agree to disagree.

@azizaliallah

'Upside down' is pretty much the state of every country at present. Western world and GCC may seem better in the worldly sense but spiritually and morally speaking they are just as much in shambles,maybe worse, only they have oil and dollars to coat their filth.

I was thinking about this subject recently and now reading some comments I feel even a bit upset and angry.

I remember at one of the Imam's in Iraq and then there would be as always annoying facilities which ask unreasonable extra effort even to a young guy , let alone some others. There would was no light at that time for some reason.
It litterlay only cost money and some time to make these reasonable bathroom, instead of what they look like now.

17 minutes ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

It litterlay only cost money and some time to make these reasonable bathroom, instead of what they look like now.

The bathrooms aren't that bad, if only they were clean.