Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Dowry(Mahr) Rules?

Rate this topic

peace786110

• Basic Members

I searched shiachat but a specific answer eludes me.

1. Can a bride REFUSE dowry?  Note; I don't want anything and there is always a mention of dowry (money or something of monetary value).  

2.  Instead of money (or equivalent), can I just ask for a dua, or a flower plucked from the forest?

3. Are the dowry rules the same for both Nikah and Mutah?

Thank you, and May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all.

• Advanced Member

"There is no minimum amount set for Mahr although various Hadith suggest that it not be excessively low. Imam Sadiq (‘a) has cited Imam ‘Ali (‘a) through his forefathers:

I do not like Mahr to be less than ten dirham, so it does not resemble the payment of a prostitute."

https://www.al-Islam.org/introduction-rights-and-duties-women-Islam-ayatullah-ibrahim-amini/mahr-women-and-its-philosophy

• Advanced Member
On 2/9/2020 at 12:11 AM, peace786110 said:

I searched shiachat but a specific answer eludes me.

1. Can a bride REFUSE dowry?  Note; I don't want anything and there is always a mention of dowry (money or something of monetary value).  

2.  Instead of money (or equivalent), can I just ask for a dua, or a flower plucked from the forest?

3. Are the dowry rules the same for both Nikah and Mutah?

Thank you, and May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all.

• 1.yes , she can does it.
  • 2.yeah , it's possible but it's recommended that Dowry to be a rational request.
  • 3.yes , these two are same as each other but in case of Mutah it must be paid at start of it that without paying Dowry at first the Mutah is void but in Nikah it can be paid after marriage or after divorce.

• Moderators
On 2/8/2020 at 2:41 PM, peace786110 said:

Mahr is one of the conditions of Nikkah. I am not sure if it's wajib but it surely is very recommended.

Instead of money (or equivalent), can I just ask for a dua, or a flower plucked from the forest?

Mahr should preferably be something tangible. Reciting a surah or dua isn't sufficient.

Are the dowry rules the same for both Nikah and Mutah?

Temporary Marriage Mahr Should Be of a Monetary Value

Q1: Is it permissible that the mahr agreed upon in a temporary marriage be reciting some Qur’anic verses and giving the reward to the wife as a gift? Or it should be a material and tangible thing.
Q2: If not, then in case that a girl had conducted temporary marriage several times and in every time her mahr was just reciting certain chapter of the Qur’an and giving its reward to her as a gift, is her previous marriage contract ruled null? And is the sexual intercourse they did considered as fornication?

A1: Mahr of a temporary marriage should either be money/property or something of monetary value like teaching [her] a craft or how to read or the like and just giving her the reward of reading Qur’an cannot replace that.
A2: All the previously settled contracts, mentioned in the question, are void. The subsequently happened sexual relationships — if the two partners were ignorant of contract/s nullity — were not ruled as ḥarām, rather they were ruled as mistakenly done coitus. If sexual intercourse and penetration have taken place after those void contracts while the wife was not aware of their nullity, she has the right to claim (mahr al-mithl) — mahr of women with the same station — from the husband.

http://www.leader.ir/tree/index.php?catid=72