Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shia but Sunni fiqh?

Rate this topic

AbuDharr

• Advanced Member

Is it possible to be Shia in belief but follow Sunni in fiqh?

I do worry a bit about explaining myself repeatedly to everyone who's known me for years why I'm praying this way now. Especially my children and wife and her family...basically my Muslim family members 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, AbuDharr said:

I do worry a bit about explaining myself repeatedly to everyone who's known me for years why I'm praying this way now. Especially my children and wife and her family...basically my Muslim family members 

Under taqiyyah it can be possible but in this case your life is not in danger so I wouldn't say its applicable. 

In a practical manner maybe you can make the changes more subtle. For instance use a straw mat for prayer rather than a turbah. If you wear a cloak ('aba) while praying it will be less visible that your hands are by your sides. 

Even if the changes are noticed its important to explain the sunnah behind them. Perhaps the aqida of your relatives will remain unchanged but they may correct some of their actions if they understand the sunnah behind it. 

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, AbuDharr said:

absolutely possible... There's even a thing called taqiyya.

But you said you afraid of your children and wife... You are the head of the family, aren't you?

Edited by 000

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, 000 said:

But you said you afraid of your children and wife... You are the head of the family, aren't you?

I'm not afraid per se...it's just these things aren't so easy to explain to some, and I'm just exploring my options since I'm new to Shia 

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, AbuDharr said:

I'm not afraid per se...it's just these things aren't so easy to explain to some, and I'm just exploring my options since I'm new to Shia 

if you fear losing family ties, which is a great loss, you can just perform taqiyya all the times when your family is around.

Edited by 000

11 hours ago, AbuDharr said:

Nope, Sunnis have four schools each of them differing in various ways, we have one school and from household of Prophet where as Sunni Fiqh is from Tabeen, who are better people of house or people born after the generation. This is my view as Prophet told hold fast onto Qur'an and my Ahlebait.

7 hours ago, AbuDharr said:

These answers make sense, thank you.

I guess I was just seeing if Shia fiqh has crossover dispensations with Sunni mathabs like Sunni mathabs have amongst themselves

No brother, there is no cross over. Just for sake of information, I tell you that there are various differences fasting, prayers and even in rules regarding punishments over crimes.

• Advanced Member
On 1/29/2020 at 11:49 PM, Mahdavist said:

Under taqiyyah it can be possible but in this case your life is not in danger so I wouldn't say its applicable. 

In a practical manner maybe you can make the changes more subtle. For instance use a straw mat for prayer rather than a turbah. If you wear a cloak ('aba) while praying it will be less visible that your hands are by your sides. 

Even if the changes are noticed its important to explain the sunnah behind them. Perhaps the aqida of your relatives will remain unchanged but they may correct some of their actions if they understand the sunnah behind it. 

On 1/29/2020 at 8:23 PM, AbuDharr said:

I don’t see a problem in that. Follow the best Fiqh you know, and continue your spiritual journey and don’t stop your search in knowledge. And keep your Shia beliefs hidden, until you are confident. And Taqqiyah is not required at this point. 

There is no compulsion in religion; truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore, whoever disbelieves in the Shaitan and believes in Allah he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handle, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing.

• Advanced Member
On 1/31/2020 at 3:25 AM, AbuDharr said:

These answers make sense, thank you.

I guess I was just seeing if Shia fiqh has crossover dispensations with Sunni mathabs like Sunni mathabs have amongst themselves

Salam , it's true but as a Shia Muslim in personal level you must follow Shia fiqh but if you could develop your science such as studying in Hawzas then you can study about crossovers of Sunni Mathabs , anyway because you come from a Sunni bacground you can find these crossovers better than a born Shia such as me.