Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters,

I have a few questions regarding my name. I am a revert, and I have chosen a full new name. My chosen surname is Al-Noor.

(BACKGROUND) I have read recently that I should keep my father’s surname. There are a few issues with this. The first is that he changed his own name before I was born. His new surname has no connection to his own background. The second is that he specifically changed his surname as a means of distancing himself from his own father. So I can’t just use what his original name was. The third issue is that the name I have chosen is not of my own heritage (Italian and Jewish), but neither is my father’s current surname. The fourth is that even without all of these issues, my father’s original surname explicitly denotes a Jewish priestly class, and I don’t think having such a name is proper for a Muslim.

My parents are also displeased that I have chosen an Arabic first name. I always hated my birth name (especially as its short form is derived from a polytheist mythical figure) and I have created a new identity for myself upon reverting, which is embodied by my Islamic name. My father does not care if I change my surname, but he wants me to keep my first name. I have been living as my full Islamic name for years now. It’s the name on my diplomas and my publications in my field and the name everybody else calls me but my parents. I do not want to upset my parents, but I have my own life, religion, and identity now. 

I want to start my legal name change process soon in shaa Allah. It is too confusing to have a legal name and a completely different common name, especially when it comes to employment.

My questions are:

1. Is “Al-Noor” a permissible surname, Islamically-speaking? It is a Name of Allah, but I know that “Noor” is a very common name for Muslims. Does the “al” prefix affect permissibility?

2. Is it permissible to change my surname to a name that has no connection with my father’s line nor ethnic heritage, given the circumstances?

3. How can I balance my parents’ wishes with my own identity? As my father’s new surname is actually a feminine first name nowadays, I was thinking about making it a second middle name as a gesture of respect while maintaining my Islamic full name. 

4. Am I just thinking too far into this and finding problems where there are none?

Thank you for reading this whole thing. Salawat

2 hours ago, Nadiya said:

Am I just thinking too far into this and finding problems where there are none?

The rules for names are as follows:

161. The Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) said: “Do not name your children Hakam and Abu al-Hakam, for Allah is the Hakam (Arbitrator).”52

162. The Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) said: “Do not name your son: Yasar, Rabah, Najih, or Aflah.”53

163. The Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) said: “The worst names are: Dirar, Murrah, Harb, and Zalim.”54

164. Majma’ al-Zawa’id, narrating from ‘Abd al-Rahman ibn Abu Sabrah who said: “My father and I went to the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) who asked my father: “Is this your son?”

He answered: “Yes.”

He ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) asked: “What is his name?”

He answered: “al-Hubab.”

He ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) said: “Do not call him al-Hubab, for al-Hubab is Satan, but rather he [your son] is ‘Abd al-Rahman.”55

165. al-Mu‘jam al-Kabir, narrating from Ibn Buraydah from his father who said: “The Messenger of Allah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) prohibited anyone to be called Kalb (dog) or Kulaib.”56

F- The reason for the Reproaching of Certain Names

166. Sunan Abu Dawud, narrating from Muhammad ibn ‘Amr ibn ‘Ata’ who said: “Zainab bint Abu Salamah asked him [Muhammad ibn ‘Amr ibn ‘Ata’]: “What did you name your daughter?”

He said: “I named her Barrah (Righteous).”

She said: “Verily, the Messenger of Allah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) reproached this name: I was named Barrah and the Messenger of Allah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) said: “Do not admire yourselves. Allah is more aware of the righteous ones among you.”

They said: “Then what do we call her?”

He answered: “Name her Zainab!”5

13 hours ago, Nadiya said:

1. Is “Al-Noor” a permissible surname, Islamically-speaking? It is a Name of Allah, but I know that “Noor” is a very common name for Muslims. Does the “al” prefix affect permissibility?

2. Is it permissible to change my surname to a name that has no connection with my father’s line nor ethnic heritage, given the circumstances?

3. How can I balance my parents’ wishes with my own identity? As my father’s new surname is actually a feminine first name nowadays, I was thinking about making it a second middle name as a gesture of respect while maintaining my Islamic full name. 

4. Am I just thinking too far into this and finding problems where there are none?

Salam 

1.Al-Noor is permissible but it's not common between Shias & using "al" prefix has no problem but drops from saying because it's equal to "the" in English  so commonly we don't use "al" in surname but it's OK in last name also you can use " Zahra " that has same meaning & more common between Shias also is one of titles of Lady Fatima (sa) 

al-Zahra' (الزهراء) luminous, bright

al-Nuriyya (النوریّة) luminous

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Titles_of_Lady_Fatima_(a)

2.you can do it but it's better to keep respect of your parents.

3.it's very good & recommended to do it to keep respect of your parents.

4.inshaAllah you will make best choice.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe