Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mohammad313Ali

What are some of your favorite idioms?

Rate this topic

Share as many as you like, I heard one from my professor in history class, he asked everyone if what he said was, ''clear as mud'' which everyone nodded yes to; I found that a bit funny XD

Edited by Mohammad313Ali

^^^^Before that was a Super Bowl commercial -when l first heard it- l once worked around toddlers whom l had to move away. One of the girls working there asked me something about it -like difficult, nuisance- and l responded "no problem, it's like herding ducks".

One idiomatic expression my father used which my older sister liked was "fifty cent millionaires". This came from the 1930s when people were tight with their money and money was hard to come by. There were people who had fifty cents in their pocket and would show-off with it by spending it, or whatever. lOW: people who show-off with money.

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

^^^^Before that was a Super Bowl commercial -when l first heard it- l once worked around toddlers whom l had to move away. One of the girls working there asked me something about it -like difficult, nuisance- and l responded "no problem, it's like herding ducks".

One idiomatic expression my father used which my older sister liked was "fifty cent millionaires". This came from the 1930s when people were tight with their money and money was hard to come by. There were people who had fifty cents in their pocket and would show-off with it by spending it, or whatever. lOW: people who show-off with money.

Weren't fifty cent millionaires a dime a dozen?

As happy as a duck in water

Or

As happy as a pig in mud

___

As cute as a button. 

Just how cute are these people's buttons? Mine are fairly plain and functional. 

Edited by notme

37 minutes ago, notme said:

As happy as a pig in mud

The more authentic version is, "as happy as a pig in $hit", this is also the Muslim preferred version since it underlines how unclean these animals are.

:sign_welcome:

"happy as a pig in [Edited Out]." Phrases.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 30 Jan. 2020. <https://www.phrases.com/phrase/happy-as-a-pig-in-[Edited Out]_12855>.

2 hours ago, AbuDharr said:

Sweating like a loose woman in church 

Yeah that ones a bit naughty. A lot idioms are rather risqué in there allusions actually, and I know many more but in the name of good taste "I'll give them a miss"

Interestingly "loose woman" is the word I typed in or the word that was there when I submitted the post but once it was submitted it came up as that. Must be some anti profanity measure in the programming...fascinating  

What goes around comes around.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

19 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Retort from Hungarian Uprising Refugee, survivor of Nazi persecution, and Intel co-founder Andy Grove:

"Who ever says something like that hasn't been through sh__ in Life".

He said it on PBS' Charlie Rose.

Confidence through the roof

The Farsi version: Etemad be saghf! (Instead of: Etemad be nafs)

Some Farsi ones:

He works like yogurt (lazy and lame) Farsi: Mesl-e mast kar mikone

Can't cut yogurt, or only can cut yogurt (blunt knife, scissors etc.) mast ham nemibore, faqat mast mibore

I was smashed (leh-e leh shodam) I was torn apart (pare shodam). (I laughed the hell out of myself, it was super funny)

My leaves were fallen. bargham rikht (I was scared to death)

Empty-packing (bluffing) khali bandi

He/she has swallowed shame, vomited embarrassment (extremely rude and impolite person) Haya ro qurt dadeh, sharm ro qey kardeh

Edited by mesbah
habib e najjaar's request

48 minutes ago, mesbah said:

Confidence through the roof

The Farsi version: Etemad be saghf! (Instead of: Etemad be nafs)

Some Farsi ones:

He works like yogurt (lazy and lame)

Can't cut yogurt, or only can cut yogurt (blunt knife, scissors etc.)

I was smashed (leh-e leh shodam) I was torn apart. (I laughed the hell out of myself, it was super funny)

My leaves were fallen. (I was scared to death)

Empty-packing (bluffing)

He/she has swallowed shame, vomited embarrassment (extremely rude and impolite person)

Share these in Farsi too please :book: