Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mohammad313Ali

Procrastination and Laziness

Rate this topic

I have a great problem with procrastination its making me very lazy and putting me down heavily; I aspire to do so many things, read all the books on my shelf, go to the gym consistently, study assiduously, write, meditate, I can just go on and on. 

I could really use some advice that can help me beat this issue. :(

Salaam Alikeum @Mohammad313Ali,

Im sorry to hear you are dealing with this, but I can empathize as I have found my self in the same position many times.

11 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

To be honest brother, I think many people suffer from this. I don't think it has to do with laziness.

I agree with our worthy brother @AkhiraisReal that many people suffer from this. It happens due to depression and a myriad of other things.

The way I over came this is by training myself like a hound. Are you familiar with Pavlov's experiment?

Basically what I did was to give myself a treat after I accomplished a task. The treat was either a few Now and Laters (arguably the best candy ever) or a small break doing something else. I first started with 15 minutes of doing something, such as reading the Holy Qur'an or some task I needed to take care of in life and would treat myself after. I used alarms and stop watches to help me manage my time. After about 2 or three weeks I increased the time to 30 minutes and so on.

Please keep in mind that it usually takes 2-4 weeks to develop a new habit.

The last thing I did was to create a weekly hour by hour schedule and forced myself to follow it. My reward was to go out to a restaurant I liked on Saturday as my reward to following a schedule.

I hope this helps my friend and all the luck as you seek self improvement.

Edited by funklebits
added the p in hope at the bottom

13 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

I have a great problem with procrastination its making me very lazy and putting me down heavily; I aspire to do so many things, read all the books on my shelf, go to the gym consistently, study assiduously, write, meditate, I can just go on and on. 

I could really use some advice that can help me beat this issue. :(

We can all relate brother. I also have tons of books in my room that I haven't touched

Its not about depression, or even laziness. A lot of us are unable to manage our time either

I think one advice I can give you is to try and wake up early. These days alhamdullilah ive been waking up earlier than usual and I was able to fit in some reading time. You can do it, but all that is going to be benefecial is that you motivate yourself. None of the advice or motivation you're going to get here will make a difference, because it all depends on you and whether you'll take the action yourself. That's something I've learnt myself, you can't depend on anyone to help you succeed. Sure a couple of words will help, but it will only be effective if you're standing on your feet.