Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Hassu93

Fatwa on Marriage with Non-Shia

Rate this topic

I have a cousin of mine who wants to get married to a Sunni man. What are the fatwas of major Marja's on Marriage with a Sunni Person.

I have read Ayatollah Sistani's fatwa were he asks to avoid such marriages but couldn't find it.

I am not sure on this, but I think a Shia man is allowed to marry Sunni girl. But not the opposite.

But let me just ask this: Why would you as a female want to marry someone who follows the murders of bibi Fatima Zahra (عليه السلام)? your future kids, will most likely chose the sect of the father.

but in other words, many Shia Sunni marriages have worked out, and some havn't. It depends on the couples and in-laws involved.

Edited by AkhiraisReal

I didn't know there was such a big difference between Sunni and Shia until I joined Muslim women's groups. Their hadiths can be completely different. They don't celebrate the birthdays of the Ahlul Bayt, although some believe in celebrating the birth of the Prophet while some believe it's an innovation unrelated to Islam, and strongly condemn it. They also believe hadiths about the ahlul baht that makes them seem not infallible, like that Imam Ali AS wanted another wife while married to Hazrat Fatima AS, but she was jealous and didn't let him. Their practices, even within Sunni schools can be different too, like what type of seafood is halal. Overall, it seems that Sunni women have less rights than Shia women, like how they can't travel without a Mahram. If she does insist on marrying him just to be safe she should write that she will remain Shia after marriage and will raise their kids with Shia beliefs, so he can't claim that since she is his wife he has to listen to him. She might want to look up the topic of divorce, Khula, and the payment Khula requires the woman to pay the man. I'm not an expert in divorce in Shia Islam, so please look into this more and don't take my following words as 100% fact. But perhaps she can get the right to divorce written in her nikah so she doesn't need to do Khula, or at least specify the price of the Khula payment she has to make him, so he can't specify whatever amount he wants after marriage and she would have to pay him. Also, have in her nikah written that in case of divorce she gets at least partial custody of the kids, since I've heard some countries usually give all custody to the father. 

Edited by Lilly14