In the Name of God بسم الله

COVID-19 - Breaking News [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Guest window
Message added by Hameedeh

Information changes rapidly and some news reports can be unreliable. We appreciate participation during this pandemic, but some replies can be removed if inaccurate. This thread is ONLY for breaking news.

(Haji 2003) Safety information: https://sourceful.co.uk/doc/583/faqs-on-protecting-yourself-from-aerosol-transmiss

The Holy Prophet had given this dua'a to his daughter with instruction that whoso recites it daily, in the morning and evening, remains safe from fever

https://www.duas.org/pdfs/noor.pdf

• Moderators
On 2/27/2020 at 2:58 AM, Haji 2003 said:

To update, on March 4, 2020, after the first case of coronavirus inside Saudi Arabia, the Riyadh government banned Umrah pilgrimage (to Medina and Mecca) for everyone, including Saudi citizens and residents living in the kingdom. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umrah#Coronavirus_closings

However, Wikipedia did not give a source for that "information".

• Forum Administrators
33 minutes ago, al-Muttaqin said:

Well brothers and sisters, it's a very heavy and dark time to be living in. May God guide us.

There is always hope. Stay strong and know that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is with us. 

• Forum Administrators

Despite reports that Iran has implemented a tight lockdown on public life, the same person said the authorities have failed to quarantine cities and enforce social distancing.

Instead many citizens are gearing up for the Nowruz, the Iranian new year, on Friday. 

“Unfortunately many don’t understand and still travel around and are preparing to go on vacations,” the Tehran resident said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/coronavirus-Iran-update-death-toll-medical-shortages-facemasks-a9411416.html

• Forum Administrators

Sen. Richard Burr gave well-heeled constituents from the Tar Heel State a dire warning about the kind of chaos the coronavirus could cause at a luncheon in Washington three weeks ago.

The North Carolina Republican, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, is heard on a secret recording obtained by NPR telling members of the Tar Heel Circle on February 27 that the coronavirus was 'much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history.' 

'It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic,' Burr told the business leaders, who pay between $500 and $10,000 for membership of the group, according to NPR's reporting. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8132245/GOP-senator-gave-dire-coronavirus-warning-heeled-constituents-Capitol-Hill-social-club.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_desktop_news

Well we have been going on about the virus on Shiachat for even longer and you haven't had to pay a dime to read it, let alone $500 to $10,000. :sign_welcome:

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

And there is more than enough for everyone to be rich and happy. 

10% has 90% of total global wealth. 0.6% has 48% (this was maybe 5/6 years ago estimate by a " indepedent non-profit organization ", don't remmeber its name, saw it on PressTV.

Down with the Rothschilds, the Zionist Jews and the Zionist Christians

Don't let these numbers fool. 

Money doesn't exist.

Those who live in poverty are the ones without friends.

Wealth is counting your blessing.

• Advanced Member

@Mohammed-Mehdi

For me money doesn't exist.

For me, community, character and Allah's guidance is my currency.

For me , counting my blessings is wealth.

You have your opinion,  I have my opinion. 

Salam.

Edited by azizaliallah

• Moderators

This is very horrible: 

Iran admits one person dying every 10 minutes from coronavirus

So about 144 people dies everyday from corona in Iran. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) help them all. In Iraq it will be even worse, because the people of Iraq don't even care about the matter:

Edited by Abu Nur

• Veteran Member

2200EDT,Thurs,19March20

245,612 Confirmed Cases

10,048 Deaths  (+1,097)

88,437 Recoveries

147,127 Currently lnfected of which 7,378 are Serious or Critical

ltaly now exceeds China in total deaths with 3,405 of which 427 are for today, Spain +193, lRl +149, France +108, USA +68, UK +40

1st case in Chad, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Fiji (a flight attandant)

1st death in Russia, Mexico

• Veteran Member
26 minutes ago, MartyS said:

I look back in history for another event that impacted every human being in the whole world at the same time.

The Cuban Missile Crisis went global. WW2 was essentially global. The Cold War was global (even in NAM states) Tambora affected the global weather.

• Forum Administrators

"Iran benefited from America's sanctions. It made us self-sufficient in all areas," said Mr.... Khamenei, who looked healthy despite rumours that he had been infected with coronavirus that has killed 1,284 people in Iran.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/middle-east/Khamenei-says-us-sanctions-forced-Iran-to-become-self-sufficient?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sttw&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1584687478

Beijing has showered struggling European nations with aid as part of a diplomatic charm offensive.

In recent weeks, it has also donated hundreds of thousands of surgical masks and test kits to the Philippines and Pakistan, sent teams of medics to Iran and Iraq, and extended a US$500 million (S$724 million) loan to help Sri Lanka combat the virus.

https://www.straitstimes.com/Asia/east-Asia/mask-diplomacy-china-tries-to-rewrite-coronavirus-narrative?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sttw&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1584687465

Chinese media that I follow on Twitter has certainly been love-bombing lots of different countries with pics of planes carrying aid arriving from China.

And on another note:

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

And on another note:

l believe this is what l saw on this morning's news, that two members of a senate sold their stocks last month after a briefing by medical staff. Well, l sold last month too for the same reasons so for any crime to have occured l need to see/hear more.

• Veteran Member

0500EDT BBC News reported that other EU countries look at Lombardy as what they will be in 2 weeks.

My guesstimate is this will be the US-Canada in 3 to 4 weeks.

Meanwhile, Canadians are lining up outside their local 'weed stores' to stock up. 

ADDED 55 minutes later:

The US and Mexico are discussing/coordinating on closing the border.

Trump has called off the G-7 Summit at Camp David

Edited by hasanhh

• Veteran Member

Americans panic buying guns is the most American response to coronavirus

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/16/americans-panic-buying-guns-American-response-coronavirus-12403358

Americans have been seen queuing down the street to buy guns saying they are worried that coronavirus panic could descend into social disorder. Gun sales across the US are currently surging as the Covid-19 pandemic grows, with the hardest hit states of California, New York and Washington seeing some of the biggest hikes in the numbers of guns being sold. Sellers are reporting a wave of first-time buyers coming in saying they fear that panic buying will see people running out of food and supplies. Others have said they are worried that the government might use its emergency powers to restrict gun purchases. Pictures and videos show people lining up outside stores, while several people have tweeted pictures inside gun shops heaving with people trying to buy ammunition.

Edit: I have always written on here that our world does not need zombie apocalypse, only a gentle nudge and the right conditions will turn masses into monsters.

Edited by The Green Knight
:(

• Veteran Member

Spooky Alert

Not a joke: A few minutes ago, DeutscheWelle posted a broadcast notice reading, "The Coronavirus Crisis may disrupt our broadcast schedule"  --l believe l have it quoted correctly.

Could refer to gov't announcements or press conferences.

dw.com says German leaders are discussing a lockdown and yesterday reported on over 100k Germans traveling overseas that the gov't is trying to get home.

ADDED:

Bravaria has gone into Lockdown

lnterim Serum Therapy ?  https://ww.dw.com/en/coronavirus-drugs-can-antibodies-from-survivors-help/a-52806428 

Edited by hasanhh
Added

• Veteran Member
14 hours ago, hasanhh said:

0500EDT BBC News reported that other EU countries look at Lombardy as what they will be in 2 weeks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/italian-army-move-coronavirus-dead-bergamo-lombardy-144606448.html 

Cruise Liners:  https://mynbc15.com/news/coronavirus/trumpfloatinghospitals 

• Forum Administrators
12 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Sounds good.

But we don't know if the control sample was matched with those receiving this treatment. You can't really say that the treatment group had 3-5 days shorter stay compared to the average that the hospital has. 

What I am generally finding surprising is that in China especially there have been so many cases that studies of different treatments could have been done with reasonable sample sizes.

• Veteran Member

^^^^ "You are making a joke out of our own lives."

What is this mayor's name?  And this is a very good example of what the old folks use to say, "you cannot fight stupidity".

Elsewhere;

Spain's death toll tops 1k; at 1415GMT KSA will borrow more money

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus-live-updates-italy-overtakes-china-death-toll-200319224219279.html 

Edited by hasanhh
link correction

• Veteran Member

Since the last few days especially, for weeks, I have been secretly noticing that Pakistan's name and statistics are not showing up among the big wigs of Corona struck countries. Today I drove to town wearing a mask and bought some supplies, medicine, groceries and stuff. Its a rural town but I rarely met others wearing masks. Only one pharmacy workers were wearing masks. I was careful with change and spent so that no change was left to put in my pockets. Anyway I fear Pakistan might get seriously hit. I hope not. When the incubation period ends its already too late.

• Forum Administrators
12 hours ago, hasanhh said:

What is this mayor's name?

It's Gianfilippo Bancheri.

In a message to staff, Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow said it has no critical care capacity left and has contacted neighbouring hospitals about transferring patients who need critical care to other sites.

The message, sent last night and seen by HSJ, said: “I am writing to let you know that we have this evening declared a ‘critical incident’ in relation to our critical care capacity at Northwick Park Hospital. This is due to an increasing number of patients with Covid-19.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/hospitals-critical-care-unit-overwhelmed-by-coronavirus-patients/7027189.article

• Forum Administrators
59 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

"You are making a joke out of our own lives."

I think this pretty much sums up why the virus will linger in Europe for far longer than it did in China, for whom the lockdown seemed to work within 2 months. But it was pretty draconian, achieving the same in Europe would be much harder and even using national armies would be difficult.

China had the advantage of millions of Party apparatchiks who could enforce the lockdown.

The U.S. is in a completely new situation, because you have an armed population. Hate to imagine how that will play out in a tense situation.

• Forum Administrators
7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l believe this is what l saw on this morning's news, that two members of a senate sold their stocks last month after a briefing by medical staff. Well, l sold last month too for the same reasons so for any crime to have occured l need to see/hear more.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

China had the advantage of millions of Party apparatchiks who could enforce the lockdown.

Right. The other day my son and I were talking about advantages of a totalitarian government. Perhaps the world is fortunate the virus emerged in China where it could be locked down somewhat. 

• Veteran Member
11 minutes ago, notme said:

The other day my son and I were talking about advantages of a totalitarian government

l do not see any advantage except in shorter time responses, but then it also has a very narrow outlook towards anything. So in the end, it loses.

l personally saw the military police gun down someone for disturbing-the-peace when l was there.

Argentina went on national lockdown.

Brazil l think will have a serious nation-wide problem at the Lombardy-level in another week-ten-days. They had Carnival while it was known what was happpening.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l do not see any advantage except in shorter time responses, but then it also has a very narrow outlook towards anything. So in the end, it loses.

Agree. But in a country where people are not used to having their lives controlled, there is inevitably more non-compliance by some members of the population. 

• Advanced Member

Guys supposedly 627 died in Italy in one day alone!! This is really serious and if you do the maths that's like 2 to 3 minutes one person drops dead! Worldwide that means people are dying by the second :( this is really sad and it's hard to find the words

Edited by 313 Seeker

• Forum Administrators

@Hameedeh

Got a letter the editor of the FT is sending to all subscribers:

We are keenly aware of our responsibility to those of you who pay to read the FT. But in times like these we feel that we also have a responsibility to inform the wider community. That is why I have taken the step to make a few of our great number of stories on the Coronavirus free to read. I know I can count on the support of our longtime subscribers for this measure.