Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mohammed-Mehdi

Translation of Allahu Akbar

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, Moalfas said:

Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) was once explaining the meaning of Allahu Akbar, he (عليه السلام) said: 

الله اكبر من ان يوصف

Allah is greater than to be defined. 

Thank you for the hadith but I am looking for opinions about the translation of Allahu Akbar.

Some Say Allah/God is Great, some say Allah is Greater, and I think there are other translations as well

13 minutes ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Thank you for the hadith but I am looking for opinions about the translation of Allahu Akbar.

Some Say Allah/God is Great, some say Allah is Greater, and I think there are other translations as well

It means Allah is Greater, literally, people translate it in other ways because of what they think sounds best in English.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:26 PM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Understanding the meaning of Allahu Akbar is the central pillar in the process of finding the most accurate translation. 

On 1/22/2020 at 7:41 PM, Cyrax said:

It means Allah is Greater, literally, people translate it in other ways because of what they think sounds best in English.

Would you agree with me that Allah is Greater is a better transaltion considering the meaning of Allahu Akbar

30 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Understanding the meaning of Allahu Akbar is the central pillar in the process of finding the most accurate translation. 

Considering the meaning of Allahu Akbar, what do you think is the best translation? If any

Western media pushing their divisive propaganda suggest it means 'Allah is greater than other gods' 

I believe the best translation would be one that leaves no room for misinterpretation.

Saying 'God is great' does not do it justice. 

Saying 'God is Greater' is incomplete. Because one asks: Greater than what? 

I would conclude that the best description is the Imam's words which is what I would go with:

الله أكبر من أن يوصف

'God is Greater than to be defined' 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:24 PM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

in the regard of Allahu Akbar, isn't it better to translate it to Allah is Greater

Yes, because the God of Noah, Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). is not only "greater" than anything you can think of, but "Greater" than anything you can bring-to-mind (unconscious impulses, natural reactions(like to flame).

WSalam

One problem with "Allah is greater" version is that it postulates something great other than Allah, whereas in comparison to Allah, nothing even deserves counting.

This has been narrated in Hadith, and is true for all comparative adjectives used in divine attributes. Scholars say such adjectives are not for Tafdil, but for Ta'yin. Roughly, they are not for comparison, but to state only Allah has that particular attribute.

1 hour ago, Anonymous-Male said:

The only thing that exists is Allah himself. Nothing else actually exists. So when Allah is the only existence there is, we cannot say " Allah is greater than everything "  because there is nothing else besides Him. 

Creation exsist even though Creation is not The Truth
Correct or wrong?

11 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Could you explain this more? How and why?

It's about superlatives and comparatives in Arabic (or almost any language)
When you say A is greater than B, it means B already has some level of greatness in itself, yet, in comparison, A has a larger share of greatness. 
If you say Allah is greater than anything, be it His own creation or anything else, you are attaching some level of greatness to the other side of the equation, which is wrong. in comparison to God, no greatness is even visible, like the light of firefly under sunshine, it is not less shiny, it is actually dark.

عَلِيُّ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ سَهْلِ بْنِ زِيَادٍ عَنِ ابْنِ مَحْبُوبٍ عَمَّنْ ذَكَرَهُ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ: قَالَ رَجُلٌ عِنْدَهُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ فَقَالَ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ مِنْ أَيِّ شَيْ‏ءٍ فَقَالَ مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْ‏ءٍ فَقَالَ أَبُو عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع حَدَّدْتَهُ فَقَالَ الرَّجُلُ كَيْفَ أَقُولُ قَالَ قُلْ اللَّهُ‏ أَكْبَرُ مِنْ‏ أَنْ‏ يُوصَفَ‏.

Narrated in al-Kafi.
in the presence of Imam al-Sadiq a, a person said: (Alllah Akbar (God is greater). the Imam asked: God is greater than what? the person said: than everything. the Imam said: then you have restricted Him. the person said: how should I say? the Imam said: say, God is greater than definition.

note: when you believe something else exists rather than God, and depart from God, you actually are saying and believing that there are limits for God, areas in which God's existence cannot enter. (in our oversimplified, physical imagination)

وَ رَوَاهُ مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ مَرْوَكِ بْنِ عُبَيْدٍ عَنْ جُمَيْعِ بْنِ عُمَيْرٍ قَالَ قَالَ أَبُو عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع‏ أَيُّ شَيْ‏ءٍ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ فَقُلْتُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْ‏ءٍ فَقَالَ وَ كَانَ ثَمَّ شَيْ‏ءٌ فَيَكُونُ أَكْبَرَ مِنْهُ فَقُلْتُ وَ مَا هُوَ قَالَ اللَّهُ‏ أَكْبَرُ مِنْ‏ أَنْ‏ يُوصَفَ‏.

Narrated in al-Kafi

Jumai' narrates: Imam al-Sadiq a asked me: what is it that God is greater than? I said: God is greater than everything. the Imam then said: and does there exist anything beside God so that God be greater than it? then I asked what is it then [its correct interpretation] the Imam said: God is greater than definition.