Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Imam Reza

Why do most reverts choose Sunni Islam

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

2.Sunni System is completly obscure all tat all Dawah men & women just force pople to become Muslim without giving warning about punishment of living Islam &  etc

3.they are not independent majority of Sunni centers are linked with KSA or Turkey but except few cases about Turkish centers they don't face trouble from westerner countries but Shia centers are always accusing that are Iranian centers that they are trying to show themselves independent from Iran.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Imam Reza said:

Salam. 
 

Why do most reverts become Sunni. There Are Hardly any Shia reverts

Lolz, Shias don't have many channels to publicize, besides, majority of Shias believe that if one want to remain unpublicized, it's ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

2.Sunni System is completly obscure all tat all Dawah men & women just force pople to become Muslim without giving warning about punishment of living Islam &  etc

3.they are not independent majority of Sunni centers are linked with KSA or Turkey but except few cases about Turkish centers they don't face trouble from westerner countries but Shia centers are always accusing that are Iranian centers that they are trying to show themselves independent from Iran.

 

At an introductory level it's straight forward 4 schools hadith and rijal books available. Read a Sunni book or ask a local Imam they often take a hadith go through chains etc. Go to translated Shia books. How often do they go through chains of hadith from Al kafi. Ask a question Von fiqh you get the opinion of a marha with no explanation big how the ruling was achieved.

Financially I can't comment as I don't know. But in Europe most centres are run by locals there is no larger clergy system they are connected to. Eg my local mosque as Sunni brelwi, diobandi, and salafi speakers. Normally organised independently by members. Also the bigger centers have more racial diversity showing a independence to specific nations.

Edited by Warilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warilla said:

At an introductory level it's straight forward 4 schools hadith and rijal books available. Read a Sunni book or ask a local Imam they often take a hadith go through chains etc. Go to translated Shia books. How often do they go through chains of hadith from Al kafi. Ask a question Von fiqh you get the opinion of a marha with no explanation big how the ruling was achieved.

chain of hadith is not strong as confirming by Qur'an or not confirming by it that there is many Sahih Sunni hadiths with strongest chains are against Qur'an & rationality so having a strong chain is good but not enough but verifying by Qur'an is mandatory.

9 minutes ago, Warilla said:

Financially I can't comment as I don't know. But in Europe most centres are run by locals there is no larger clergy system they are connected to. Eg my local mosque as Sunni brelwi, diobandi, and salafi speakers. Normally organised independently by members.

 Sunni centers don't have a clergy system like as Shia centers and only Al-Azhar in Egypt is a bit like as Shia system but it doesn't has strong base out of Egypt & doesn't provide financial & enough clergy for outside of Egypt at the end any Sunni center that acts independently can receives financial support from KSA & Turkey without accusing to terrorism &etc but if a Shia center receives any aid from Iran will face such accusation &  Shia centers are receiving financial aid through financial network of Marjas that makes them free from influence of any country but Sunni centers excepts few ones must follow KSA &Turkey goverments orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Example:

when a researcher will start researching about Shia Islam, he will read books of 12vers. and not Ismailis or zaidis. Why?
its just natural.
They have large majority.
So when someone will start  researching, he will look at the Madhab that forms 80-85% of Muslims in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dis-agree with the part that beating or tatbir is a dis-grace nauzobilah.
I don't want to debate here, but if it was affecting Shias, then compare Shia population
in subcontinent of today with 100 years old graphs.

Tatbir and matam is done in subcontinent more than anywhere else.
And rise of Shia population from past 100 years uptil today is huge in subcontinent.
This claim is totally false and has non basis when we look at data we have.
practically, this claim is false.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

I dis-agree with the part that beating or tatbir is a dis-grace nauzobilah.
I don't want to debate here, but if it was affecting Shias, then compare Shia population
in subcontinent of today with 100 years old graphs.

Tatbir and matam is done in subcontinent more than anywhere else.
And rise of Shia population from past 100 years uptil today is huge in subcontinent.
This claim is totally false and has non basis when we look at data we have.
practically, this claim is false.

 

Alhamdulilah, 

I myself didn’t say it was a disgrace? I gave a scenario for how some people might have come to a decision about being Sunni convert instead Shia. There are many reasons people can come to that decision and that’s if they even thought about Sunni vs Shia conversion. A lot of people do just become Muslim as Muslim without the knowledge of being Sunni or Shiite but just Muslim. 

And yes as a Shiite myself I don’t agree with extreme forms of beating or self flogging. 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest the other white meat

Where I live there are 2 Shia Masjids out of 18 Masjids. Of those two only one replied when I emailed them and that reply was barely a reply at that. It may be different in other area's, but when I reverted/converted the Sunni Masjids where the only ones that replied and asked me to stop by. I am not Sunni & barely Shia (I only identify with the Shia because of my love and admiration for Ali Ibn Abi Talib (May peace be upon him and may blessings rain down upon his progeny) and belief that he is the first Imam.

So, I guess, long story short I think its due to there being so few places to experience and be exposed to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the excellent question. From my experience is boils down to access. There are a ton of Sunni mosques in the area and hardly any Shia mosques.

This next bit is from my own experience so please forgive the anecdotal evidence,

But for my part, trying to contact any Shia Mosque is way hit or miss. I think I have a success rate of 1 reply for every 5 or 6 emails I send. But my love for the Ahl al-Bayt could not be deterred by the lack of replies and I chose books to increase my knowledge and faith.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many reasons, many of which have already been mentioned. One I would add is that I think one of the big attractions of Islam to a lot of people is the pure monotheism and the direct connection with God. These are things that are perhaps not as promoted amongst Shias compared with Sunnis. Shias tend to put more emphasis on talking about the Imams, and the Imams are also at the centre of many of the acts of devotion Shias tend to take part in.

Another factor to keep in mind in the modern age is that most famous Muslims, and speakers on the internet, are Sunnis. Even many Shias find themselves listening to Sunni speakers because they feel they get something from those speakers that they don’t get from Shia speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Haydar Husayn said:

Shias tend to put more emphasis on talking about the Imams

Yes true, but the Imams ((عليه السلام)) are a means to know the Prophet (s) and the Prophet is a means to know Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 
But perhaps the Mawlanas should talk about what the Imams said (especially in relation to tawhid) instead of solely focusing on historical events relating to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say it's because the culture of da'wah and tabligh is very scarce among the shi'a, and as a consequence the amount of time and effort we are willing to collectively contribute to Islam outside of our own homes is also limited. 

As some brothers mentioned, in the rare instance that one does come across a shi'a masjid or Islamic center it is hardly that active and mainly limited to mourning rituals (often done in a manner which doesn't relate to the local culture)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accessibility. Shias are awful compared to Sunnis at talking about Islam and awful at accommodating converts. Shias will talk about Karbala before somebody even understands tawheed or how to pray. Shias act like a sect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 10:30 AM, Guest the other white meat said:

Where I live there are 2 Shia Masjids out of 18 Masjids. Of those two only one replied when I emailed them and that reply was barely a reply at that. It may be different in other area's, but when I reverted/converted the Sunni Masjids where the only ones that replied and asked me to stop by. I am not Sunni & barely Shia (I only identify with the Shia because of my love and admiration for Ali Ibn Abi Talib (May peace be upon him and may blessings rain down upon his progeny) and belief that he is the first Imam.

So, I guess, long story short I think its due to there being so few places to experience and be exposed to it.

Thanks brother very succinctly you put it 

We do see more Sunni convert to Shia than nonmuslim convert to Shia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of reasons really:

1) No Da'wah obviously.

2) Centers are empty.

3) Centers are divided by culture.

4) Lack of connection the Qur'an.

5) Lack of connection to the Arabic language.

6) Lack of clear evidence for the 12er concept of Imamah in the Qur'an (remember, most converts start out anti-Hadeeth).

7) Mutah.

8) Tatbeer.

9) Support of Bashar al-Assad and other dictators when it suits them.

10) Lack of focus on the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.

11) Ritual cursing.

12) What they see of Sunni and Shi'a debates.

13) Too much focus on shrines.

14) Combining Dhuhur/Asr and Maghrib/Isha even at the mosque.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cyrax

Brother I agree with almost all you said but come on Bashar is not the same category as most blood thirsty tyrants.And I'm not saying this out of Shia solidarity either.Objectively I feel the Assads were cruel out of necessity than simply sadism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 11:13 PM, 3wliya_maryam said:

Bc they are the majority

 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:47 PM, Imam Reza said:

Salam. 
 

Why do most reverts become Sunni. There Are Hardly any Shia reverts

Shias only recruit Sunni, its easier that way.  Shia dawa is to other Muslims 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 2:46 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

chain of hadith is not strong as confirming by Qur'an or not confirming by it that there is many Sahih Sunni hadiths with strongest chains are against Qur'an & rationality so having a strong chain is good but not enough but verifying by Qur'an is mandatory.

 Sunni centers don't have a clergy system like as Shia centers and only Al-Azhar in Egypt is a bit like as Shia system but it doesn't has strong base out of Egypt & doesn't provide financial & enough clergy for outside of Egypt at the end any Sunni center that acts independently can receives financial support from KSA & Turkey without accusing to terrorism &etc but if a Shia center receives any aid from Iran will face such accusation &  Shia centers are receiving financial aid through financial network of Marjas that makes them free from influence of any country but Sunni centers excepts few ones must follow KSA &Turkey goverments orders.

Shia centers and only Al-Azhar in Egypt is a bit like as Shia system

Al- Azhar was founded by Shia Fatimid. corret if im wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As most have said here already, accessibility is number one reason. In my city, Columbus, Ohio, there was no Shia Islamic center until just a couple years ago. And we have probably at least 20 masjids by now...though when I became Muslim 19 years ago there was only 2 maybe.

Also when I asked about Shia I was repeatedly told they're not really Muslims and unfortunately that kept me from looking deeper in the matter for years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...