Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2020

Rate this topic

On 2/27/2020 at 7:07 AM, Haji 2003 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/china-to-dispatch-army-of-ducks-to-Pakistan-to-devour-locust-swarm

I'm now worried about the Chinese experts involved in this project. Has anyone taken their temperature?

Turkeys will do a whole-lot better. l have seen them chase-don a grasshopper. Locusts and all are like a drug for turkeys.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:06 AM, hasanhh said:

Gosh, this is something from a really old codger.

Back in the 50s and 60s, the newspapers would print the national weather map. What l saw now on NHK is a colorized version showing a low pressure system stretching across the American South, over the Atlantic and on over England and Norway. 

Back then, we had only black-&-white prints that frustratingly stopped at the 49th Parallel. Like nothing was north of there. And there was jokes about it: "Not important", "There is nothing above there" and so on. lt was maddening for us kids who wanted to  see it.

@Son of Placid  Do you remember this?

When I first got internet I was talking with a woman from Nova Scotia and two guys from the States. She was complaining about spring and how her igloo drips on her keyboard. I told them I had to fix a strap on the dog sled. They had no idea. 

First conversation was "Where are you?" Calgary. Where is that? Alberta, Where is that? Canada, Canada? Yes, North of the 49th parallel...oh. Still not sure if he got it or gave up.

My wife had a salesman coming from the States to visit their office. He asked what he should wear. She told him to dress warm. He showed up in a parka...in July.

1 hour ago, Son of Placid said:

My wife had a salesman coming from the States to visit their office. He asked what he should wear. She told him to dress warm. He showed up in a parka...in July.

This reminds me of a time we went for tank-fire up near our common border . . . in January.

l had already been to "snow school" (Arctic Warfare). So we slept in platoon sized tents and of all the amenities, we had cots, which l hadn't expected. l came in late and everyone was in their mountain sleeping bags. Almost none had taken their clothes off and l could hear people trying to stay warm. Me? l Iaid out my shelter half, then my poncho and my wool blanket on top of the cot. Then stripped down to my long johns. l even took my socks off so they would air out. Then laid down and pulled half the blanket over me, then the poncho and then the shelter half and used my laundry bag as a pillow. Went to sleep.

Five or six times somebody woke me up to ask me if l was cold. The last time was by my unit commander who some dumb arse also had woken up to tell him about. So when he came over l wasn't fully awake and was quite aggrivated. Then l went outside the tent in my bare feet, urinated off to the side and went back. l said to him, politely, he ought to try try it as he'll sleep better. Sat down brushed the snow off my feet and went back to sleep. Later, when the leaders were drinking coffee while the troopie ate, he told me he did it, only he got two garbage bags from the mess tent. He said he was warmer than in his mountain bag, as we watched the troopies who didn't sleep properly -in some cases- shaking so badly they couldn't keep their food on their plates .  As l remember, it was fifteen below Fahrenheit. Another five more below and it would have been a very nice morning.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:39 PM, hasanhh said:

This reminds me of a time we went for tank-fire up near our common border . . . in January.

l had already been to "snow school" (Arctic Warfare). So we slept in platoon sized tents and of all the amenities, we had cots, which l hadn't expected. l came in late and everyone was in their mountain sleeping bags. Almost none had taken their clothes off and l could hear people trying to stay warm. Me? l Iaid out my shelter half, then my poncho and my wool blanket on top of the cot. Then stripped down to my long johns. l even took my socks off so they would air out. Then laid down and pulled half the blanket over me, then the poncho and then the shelter half and used my laundry bag as a pillow. Went to sleep.

Five or six times somebody woke me up to ask me if l was cold. The last time was by my unit commander who some dumb arse also had woken up to tell him about. So when he came over l wasn't fully awake and was quite aggrivated. Then l went outside the tent in my bare feet, urinated off to the side and went back. l said to him, politely, he ought to try try it as he'll sleep better. Sat down brushed the snow off my feet and went back to sleep. Later, when the leaders were drinking coffee while the troopie ate, he told me he did it, only he got two garbage bags from the mess tent. He said he was warmer than in his mountain bag, as we watched the troopies who didn't sleep properly -in some cases- shaking so badly they couldn't keep their food on their plates .  As l remember, it was fifteen below Fahrenheit. Another five more below and it would have been a very nice morning.

-15F is kinda cold. I have been ice fishing in that. It's annoying when the hole freezes over every two minutes but it's those days my son can't work.  If you're not able to climatize it's not so fun once "chilled to the bone" <-- idiom.

Probably wasn't nice but I burst out laughing when in Mexico and my friend said over the winter it had dropped to 15C, aka 60F. We've been taking them microfiber blankets ever since. 

Edited by Son of Placid
One more thing...

On 3/2/2020 at 7:44 PM, peace4alltheworld said:

.I wanted to kiss his hands for all the great works he has written

You are not allowed to kiss anyone's hands until the Corona virus has disappeared.

When we have people licking shrines and others disinfecting with vodka, it's hard to imagine how we can fight this virus with common sense.. 

IMG_7860.JPG

On 2/27/2020 at 6:16 PM, hasanhh said:

On the radio today, the report is that 1 out of 4 children in America are illegals or children of illegals.

I'm skeptical of this statistic, but even if true, what implication does this have? Children are future workers, right? Does it matter who their parents are? It's just fortunate that useless parasite billionaires tend to have fewer children than normal humans. 

Is it ethical to capture and keep some chickens that have been hanging around on my property? None of the neighbors know who they belong to. It is a hen and a rooster, and local ordinance prohibits keeping roosters in residential zoning without a special permit, so it is possible that he belongs to someone but they don't want to admit it so that they don't have to pay a fine. 

There are foxes and other wildlife around, and local traffic, plus a highway not far. We would love to have some eggs to raise chicks, but mainly I'm concerned for their safety. Is there Islamic guidance on unclaimed, stray livestock? 

(Note that they probably won't let me catch them anyway, and keeping roosters in the suburbs isn't allowed, so the question is mostly hypothetical.)

1 hour ago, notme said:

There are foxes and other wildlife around, and local traffic, plus a highway not far. We would love to have some eggs to raise chicks, but mainly I'm concerned for their safety. Is there Islamic guidance on unclaimed, stray livestock? 

If chickens belongs to someone you only can use their egg equal to amount of damage that they made in your property. 

11 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

If chickens belongs to someone you only can use their egg equal to amount of damage that they made in your property. 

They haven't made any damage, and nobody in my neighborhood knows who they belong to.

I've seen them for a few months, but a family down near the highway says they've been wandering their property for about a year. They look healthy and well fed. They were afraid of me at first, but now they follow me around when I'm outside alone, though they are still afraid of my family members. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

but a family down near the highway says they've been wandering their property for about a year.

Salam acording to Imam Khomeini (رضي الله عنه) risalah if you find such animals at first you must search for their owner but if you could not find their owner you can take care of them but you must pay price of them in form of charity & then you must fully take take care of them  but it can be  Makruh . 

http://www.Imam-Khomeini.ir/fa/c78_31448/ترجمه_تحریر_الوسیله_امام_خمینی_س_/ج_2/لقطۀ_حیوان

7 hours ago, notme said:

It's just fortunate that useless parasite billionaires tend to have fewer children than normal humans. 

l.E.D.s flow over the border, bankrupted hospitals (Congress has appropriated money to compenstate for this now), collect Welfare, overload the schools, only pay sales taxes . . . 

so l do not view billionaires as "parasites'.

32 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l.E.D.s flow over the border, bankrupted hospitals (Congress has appropriated money to compenstate for this now), collect Welfare, overload the schools, only pay sales taxes . . . 

so l do not view billionaires as "parasites'.

You can hate undocumented immigrants and still realize that billionaires are parasites. 

I mean, I don't hate "illegal" people, they are just trying to live their lives in safety, same as anyone else, but if you want to you can. 

Billionaires, however, only drain society, no benefit. Can you convince me of the benefit to humanity of the existence of billionaires? Do you realize it's not possible to earn that much in a lifetime or a hundred lifetimes, only to steal it from others? 

1.Read Ayatullah Nasr Makarem`s autobiography and was just impressed by the humility of the man.May Allah bless with even more fruitful years.

2.Please pray that Allah helps me reading his Tafsir of Najul Balagha.

3.I remember talking to my family members who live in the States.Apprently Noam Chomsky isn't much read there as in the third world.

4.I do not agree with Chomsky views on sexuality but rest of his work on empire and political system is worth reading.

5.For all those who do not have time read his interviews with David Barsamian or just listen to them worth it.

I opened my mother's tablet and I realized she can see all my online activity. My facebook account, my emails, even my whatsapp, all you need is type id and it gives you password and you can log in and see everything. Even my paypal account, thank God that no one can do any transactions other than my own phone, otherwise I would have lost all my money by now. She can even see which youtube videos I watch. This is why at every place I work, all my co-workers seem to know everything I do online, everything I write in my personal messages. How do people have so much time to take so much interest in a complete stranger's life? Even if I had access to my co-workers' passwords, I wouldn't want to check what they do. I have life outside of work and when I am not at work, I don't even want to think about them. Yes, I would love to check online activity of my evil sister and see what she's planning next against me. But other than that, I wouldn't want to pry into someone's life so much. 

Edited by rkazmi33

20 minutes ago, starlight said:

Why are people stockpiling toilet paper?

To clean up their scattered brains?

Scatterbrained -disorganized; unable to think clearly;

Edited by hasanhh
definition

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

To clean up their scattered brains?Scatterbrained -disorganized; unable to think clearly;

Yeah, makes no sense otherwise.

I wish people were more rational instead of having this herd mentality. 

On 2/7/2020 at 5:56 PM, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Requesting everyone's prayers please, I think I am about to face what I believe will be the hardest and most challenging task of my work career soon.

Alhamdullilah wa shukr, thank you all for the prayers, 4 weeks and around 320 work hours later I am finally done and now sitting in the airport waiting for my flight home, hopefully ill avoid catching corona along the way.

l wonder if l am going to make it through Spring. Saturday l started getting these upper resiratory gasping-spasms. l have gotten through three of these, inshallah, so far. 

So today, our governor and the head of the health dept gave a news conference. She said that the "mathematics" is not up to speed, that ltaly has a 6-9 week delay between testing and admissions. However she explained it, she said the "numbers" for 40-49 year olds is not 0.1% but 3+%. Older people even higher.

2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l wonder if l am going to make it through Spring. Saturday l started getting these upper resiratory gasping-spasms. l have gotten through three of these, inshallah, so far. 

I hope you're alright, @hasanhh! Shiachat wouldn't be the same without you. You've talked with your doctor? 

47 minutes ago, notme said:

I hope you're alright, @hasanhh! Shiachat wouldn't be the same without you. You've talked with your doctor? 

l think l am about allright.

You ever bang your leg or arm or otherwise injured and your limb trembled violently?

That is what my inside chest was doing under my clavicals, l did calm-yourself-down and gulpped air for about 20 minutes. That was Saturday. My reaction was a "ah-hell-not now-not this way-should l shoot-myself?-rememeber-4:29 . . .". Sunday's was not as painful and today's was discomforting and worrying.

Whatever l picked up l have felt it at some leveI since January. Numbie-ness in the temples, rigour, and so on. Right now l have a headache.