Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2020

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

I complimented my 2nd daughter over her hand writing (which is average and irregularly sized) and ignored the oil stain she got on her book. *patience* Does this count? LOL

Yes. Definitely. 

There is a wide range of elements that make up the correct form of relation with Allah. Some of these have been mentioned in detail in the verses of the Qur’an, the traditions and supplications.

Some of these elements are: hope in Allah (raja’), fear of Him (khawf), pleading before Him (tadarru’), humility toward Him (khushu’), lowliness before Him (tadhallul), love of him (hubb), yearning for Him (shawq), intimacy with Him (uns), returning to Him (inabah), dedication to Him (tabattul), pleading for His forgiveness (istighfar), seeking protection from Him (isti’adhah), beseeching His mercy (istirham), total absorption in Allah (inqta’), extolling Him (tamjid), praising Him (hamd), craving for Him (raghbah), obedience to Him (ta’ah), His servanthood (‘ubudiyyah), His remembrance (dhikr), neediness to Him (faqr), and holding fast to Him (I‘tisam).

Imam ‘Ali bin al-Husayn Zayn al-’Abidin (‘a) says in a supplication, “O Allah, I ask You to fill my heart with love of You, awe of You, belief in You, faith in You, fear of You, and yearning toward You.”

source

“In the 19th century, the ‘scramble for Africa’ was carefully disguised as a humanitarian project. Now, 150 years later, what we saw at the UK-Africa summit was a desperate and unseemly grab for markets, dressed up as ‘development’.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/24/90-pe-cent-uk-Africa-energy-deals-fossil-fuels

Reminds me of the time when I was attending a meeting for the work my employer does in Africa. The issue came to how we deal with governments that are not LGBTQ+, I ventured the point that just as 19th century missionaries civilised Africa with Christianity we could now do the same with sexuality.

3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/24/90-pe-cent-uk-Africa-energy-deals-fossil-fuels

Reminds me of the time when I was attending a meeting for the work my employer does in Africa. The issue came to how we deal with governments that are not LGBTQ+, I ventured the point that just as 19th century missionaries civilised Africa with Christianity we could now do the same with sexuality.

:furious: we are not over the first mess yet.

2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

@habib e najjaar    l understand that as a 'yes'. Correct?

LOL. Preaching the devils words has never had much effect except on a few fools.. Occupation, genocide, imposition of culture, exiles, bombardment, destruction of history, property grabbing, destruction of civilisations and heritage, placement of puppet regimes.... the list goes on. THAT is what @Haji 2003 got a head smashing for indirectly supporting (for the sake of argument lets assume he was not doing any tongue in cheek stuff at their meeting) such perpetrators. Like Desmond Tutu says about those who came with the book, and left with the land.

My son just told me about Marcus Licinius Crassus and his fire brigade, and now the movement by a few billionaires to sabotage the entire world is starting to make sense. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Licinius_Crassus

O He who has been doing favors since eternity.

يَا قَدِيمَ الإحْسَانِ

Where is Your magnificent concealment (of one’s faults)?

أَيْنَ سِتْرُكَ الْجَمِيلُ؟

Where is Your irreversible pardon?

أَيْنَ عَفْوُكَ الْجَلِيلُ؟

Where is Your abrupt relief?

أَيْنَ فَرَجُكَ الْقَرِيبُ؟

Where is Your immediate aid?

أَيْنَ غِيَاثُكَ السَّرِيعُ؟

Where is Your boundless mercy?

أَيْنَ رَحْمَتُكَ الْوَاسِعَةُ؟

Because You are verily the Lord of righteousness and the Lord of forgiveness

لأنَّكَ أَهْلُ التَّقْوَى وَأَهْلُ الْمَغْفِرَةِ

You take the initiative in doing good out of Your graciousness

تُبْدِئُ بِالإحْسَانِ نِعَماً

(Dua Abu Hamza Thumali)

17 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

I remember @baradar_jackson being a huge fan of Kobe Bryant, otherwise would probably have never known him.

Sad for his family and especially his little daughters :(

The helicopter was full of parents taking their children to a basketball camp. Can you imagine being one of the children at that camp, waiting for these sport heroes to arrive, only to find out they've crashed? 

And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about.

Haruki Murakami Kafka on the Shore

One of these two statements is correct:

1 - I'm a terrible cook. 

Or

2 - There's something terribly wrong with my people. 

They'd rather eat store bought, highly processed, preservative filled food than the fresh, natural, and delicious foods that I make. 

I feel so unappreciated. 

9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

You cannot possibly be a worse cook than that damn mother we had. :furious:

My grandmother might be a worse cook. Her food is the worst I've ever eaten, so grey and mushy and flavorless, but we ate it politely and thanked her for it. The effort matters! My people are just so unappreciative! 

My mother cooks well enough, but she doesn't use any spice, unless salt counts. 

My stepfather is an excellent cook. Many of my recipes are inspired by his. A few are from my mom, but with added seasonings. 

28 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Does this bring back memories?

No, 

And besides, the iron is upside down to cook with. The picture's way will get drippings into the steam vents.

However, 50 years ago, l did use a steam radiator to 'cook' a pumpkin pie. No joke. l had bought this pie believing it was a pre-cooked. lt wasn't. So, l put it on the radiator in the barracks and covered it with towels. 

lt got hot alright, but not enough for the dough. So after three or four hours, l just went ahead and ate the filling.

Curious omission from this list of 2019 UN Security Council resolutions:

S/RES/2503(2019)

19 December 2019

The situation in the Middle East

S/RES/2502(2019) 19 December 2019 The situation concerning the Democratic Republic of the Congo
S/RES/2501(2019) 16 December 2019 Threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts
S/RES/2500(2019) 4 December 2019

The situation in Somalia

S/RES/2499(2019) 15 November 2019

The situation in the Central African Republic

S/RES/2498(2019)

15 November 2019 The situation in Somalia
S/RES/2497(2019) 14 November 2019

The situation in Abyei

S/RES/2496(2019)

5 November 2019

The situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina

S/RES/2495(2019)

31 October 2019

Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan

S/RES/2494(2019)

30 October 2019

The situation concerning Western Sahara

S/RES/2493(2019)

29 October 2019

Women and peace and security

S/RES/2492(2019)

15 October 2019

Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan

S/RES/2491(2019)

3 October 2019 Maintenance of international peace and security

S/RES/2490(2019)

20 September 2019

Threats to international peace and security

S/RES/2489(2019)

17 September 2019 The situation in Afghanistan

S/RES/2488(2019)

12 September 2019 The situation in the Central African Republic

S/RES/2487(2019)

12 September 2019 Identical letters dated 19 January 2016 from the Permanent Representative of Colombia to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council (S/2016/53)
S/RES/2486(2019) 12 September 2019

The situation in Libya

S/RES/2485(2019)

29 August 2019

The situation in the Middle East

S/RES/2484(2019)

29 August 2019

The situation in Mali

S/RES/2483(2019) 25 July 2019 The situation in Cyprus
S/RES/2482(2019) 19 July 2019 Threats to international peace and security
S/RES/2481(2019) 15 July 2019 The situation in the Middle East
S/RES/2480(2019) 28 June 2019 The situation in Mali
S/RES/2479(2019) 27 June 2019 Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan
S/RES/2478(2019) 26 June 2019 The situation concerning the Democratic Republic of the Congo
S/RES/2477(2019) 26 June 2019 The situation in the Middle East
S/RES/2476(2019) 25 June 2019 The question concerning Haiti
S/RES/2475(2019) 20 June 2019 Protection of civilians in armed conflict
S/RES/2474(2019) 11 June 2019 Protection of civilians in armed conflict - Missing persons in armed conflict
S/RES/2473(2019) 10 June 2019 The situation in Libya
S/RES/2472(2019) 31 May 2019 The situation in Somalia
S/RES/2471(2019) 30 May 2019 Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan
S/RES/2470(2019) 21 May 2019 The situation concerning Iraq
S/RES/2469(2019) 14 May 2019 Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan
S/RES/2468(2019) 30 April 2019 The situation concerning Western Sahara
S/RES/2467(2019) 23 April 2019 Women and peace and security: Sexual violence in conflict
S/RES/2466(2019) 12 April 2019 The question concerning Haiti
S/RES/2465(2019) 12 April 2019 Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan
S/RES/2464(2019) 10 April 2019 Non-proliferation/Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
S/RES/2463(2019) 29 March 2019 The situation concerning the Democratic Republic of the Congo
S/RES/2462(2019) 28 March 2019 Threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts: Preventing and combating the financing of terrorism
S/RES/2461(2019) 27 March 2019 The situation in Somalia
S/RES/2460(2019) 15 March 2019 The situation in Afghanistan
S/RES/2459(2019) 15 March 2019 Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan
S/RES/2458(2019) 28 February 2019 The situation in Guinea-Bissau
S/RES/2457(2019) 27 February 2019 Cooperation between the United Nations and regional and subregional organizations in maintaining international peace and security - Silencing the guns in Africa
S/RES/2456(2019) 26 February 2019 The situation in the Middle East
S/RES/2455(2019) 7 February 2019 Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan
S/RES/2454(2019) 31 January 2019 The situation in the Central African Republic
S/RES/2453(2019) 30 January 2019 The situation in Cyprus
S/RES/2452(2019) 16 January 2019 The situation in the Middle East  

4 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I'll never forget the story about her not removing the plastic from the cheese slices. That really blew my mind, how could someone make a mistake like that?

Her "excuse" was "but l can't get them off". She knew they were individually wrapped.

Do you remember me throwing the pie crust into the metal garbage can?

My phone suddenly has a cool new capability: if I take a picture of a book page, it offers to copy the text for me to paste. That's the handiest feature since phones were given cameras! 

25 minutes ago, notme said:

My phone suddenly has a cool new capability: if I take a picture of a book page, it offers to copy the text for me to paste. That's the handiest feature since phones were given cameras! 

That is great! What kind of phone do you have?

19 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

That is great! What kind of phone do you have?

Pixel 3. I don't know when was the last update, but last time I took a picture of a book page before today it didn't do this. 

I have used pictures of pages here to show that I have a source when sharing scholarly rulings. Before, the photos might have been hard for some people to read, or I might have typed it all out manually, but in the future I will be able to just copy and paste. 

But today I was just going to snap a picture of a paragraph in a library book so I could see it again later.

2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Her "excuse" was "but l can't get them off". She knew they were individually wrapped.

Do you remember me throwing the pie crust into the metal garbage can?

Yes, vividly. And wow, I can't imagine my own mother making an excuse like that.