Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2020

Rate this topic

On 1/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, notme said:

Just as the battery needs to be charged, the water needed to be heated. I wonder how those efficiencies compare. 

Here is something l found, The 8th paragraph down begins "Colombic Efficiency" which also explains SEl and battery life.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die 

As to the steam powered buggy, steam was so well studied in the 19th Century and all manner of data relationships developed, an analysis of th heater shoud be available somewhere in the company records or derived from standard practice.

Trivia l know: the old steam locomotives used 1 tonne of water per mile under most conditions.

2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Americans using fish antibiotics (on themselves rather than fish) is actually a thing:

This is the second time I've heard of using fish antibiotics. I've myself used the dog's prescription when I had insurance issues and couldn't get mine immediately refilled. If I don't take it, I might go into a coma and die. The dog is on 4x the dose I take, and if he doesn't have it, he might lose his fur and get fat, so without hesitation I took two of his pills and cut them into quarters to get me through a week. I researched on the internet first, and it's exactly the same medication, manufactured by exactly the same process. This particular medication is not expensive, but the pharmacy wouldn't give it to me until I'd had an examination and blood tested at the doctor's office, and my doctors office decided to stop talking my insurance. 

My son's health insurance decreed that he only needs 26 speech therapy sessions per year, disregarding the fact that his doctors and therapists all agree that he needs twice per week. This is, of course, after my husband pays in over a thousand dollars per month. 

The US health insurance industry is a scam, a racket, a mafia. It should be illegal. 

9 minutes ago, notme said:

The US health insurance industry is a scam, a racket, a mafia. It should be illegal. 

Correct. Ever notice that "out of network" charges and services always find their way into your bills?

I have a question I can't find a good answer on the internet: if a person doesn't have panic attacks but feels awkward and uncomfortable in social situations, and is unable to maintain conversation with strangers and acquaintances, and therefore avoids these situations, is that social anxiety, or is it something else? 

Also, what advice would you give this individual for overcoming this situation? (Don't say call a psychiatrist - apparently phone conversations are a particular phobia for this person.)

Edited by notme
Added thought.

18 minutes ago, notme said:

I have a question I can't find a good answer on the internet: if a person doesn't have panic attacks but feels awkward and uncomfortable in social situations, and is unable to maintain conversation with strangers and acquaintances, and therefore avoids these situations, is that social anxiety, or is it something else? 

I think it can be classified as social anxiety. The term itself entails a wide spectrum of behaviours and symptoms and an extreme form of it would be the panic attacks, whereas a mild form would be feeling awkward and uncomfortable. 

This is my personal opinion as I'm not a health professional. 

35 minutes ago, notme said:

if a person doesn't have panic attacks but feels awkward and uncomfortable in social situations, and is unable to maintain conversation with strangers and acquaintances, and therefore avoids these situations, is that social anxiety,

Could it be that he is an introvert?

51 minutes ago, starlight said:

Could it be that he is an introvert?

Absolutely this person is an introvert, but the avoidance of social situations is problematic, maybe pathological. This person wants to be active in the community, but doesn't participate in organized activities, has great difficulty making and keeping appointments, doesn't work outside of home, doesn't really have any social support network, perhaps even is lonely... 

4 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha: I killed myself laughing. Kudos to the guy at reception for maintaining a serious tone. 

@Moalfas See this is what happens when you learn a language by watching cartoons. 

Edited by starlight

17 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

This is absolutely hilarious. 

36 minutes ago, starlight said:

If you feel it's pathological then he should probably see a psychologist. 

Yes, but

2 hours ago, notme said:

- apparently phone conversations are a particular phobia for this person.)

And it seems that no family member thinks there is a problem, or at least no family member is willing to help. 

5 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

tJp6bSP.thumb.jpg.b533c8ad56c8f92d55580222d18e30bb.jpg

In our defence, I do come up some very accurate diagnosis of some illnesses which often tally with what someone is then told by a doctor. Even as a lawyer, sometimes a client can give you an approach you did not initially think of, then all you have to do is execute it using legal jargon/tools etc, similar to what a doctor can do for you after you have diagnosed. Often, I call up my friend who is a doc and tell her my kid has xyz, she asks me a few questions then sends me a prescription on whatsapp 

"l'll be fine. l believe in our gov't and our country"  

BBC News, 20Jan20

This was a young Chinese man's response to: Are you worried about the spreading coronavirus?

lnshallah, l do not think like this. Ahamduallah.

I started a blog. I'm not going to share it here because it's mainly intended as a "diary" to cultivate a habit of writing. But today I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas for what to write about? 

7 minutes ago, notme said:

I started a blog. I'm not going to share it here because it's mainly intended as a "diary" to cultivate a habit of writing. But today I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas for what to write about? 

I've written some ideas for you on my blog, which I am also not going to share. :keeporder: check them out and let me know what you think

*trollalert*

15 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

I've written some ideas for you on my blog, which I am also not going to share. :keeporder: check them out and let me know what you think

*trollalert*

Oh my goodness! This made day. :clap:

Challenge for you all: today give someone a compliment. Bonus points if it's a stranger.

But make sure it's a real compliment, not for something they don't have control over, for example, "wow, great outfit!", not "wow, you're so pretty!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdK4LozJt9UGisG9wTNJN

1 hour ago, notme said:

Framing a blank sheet of paper.

2 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Also I can't promise I'll maintain PG rated aqlaq.... I think so far I'm ok, but I can't promise. I talk like a mom but I write like an edgy teenager. That's why I need practice - to mature. 

I think maybe today I'll write about being a terrible judge of character. 

For a moment I thought about sharing the blog address here, but then I didn't. Coward. 

Edited by notme

2 hours ago, notme said:

Challenge for you all: today give someone a compliment. Bonus points if it's a stranger.

But make sure it's a real compliment, not for something they don't have control over, for example, "wow, great outfit!", not "wow, you're so pretty!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdK4LozJt9UGisG9wTNJN

I complimented my 2nd daughter over her hand writing (which is average and irregularly sized) and ignored the oil stain she got on her book. *patience* Does this count? LOL