Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts 2020

Rate this topic

ShiaChat Mod

• Veteran Member

This past Saturday the 15th, l was returning home when l saw this Blue Jay fly headlong into my right fender. lt must have been reacting to a reflection like l have seen cardinals do on my windshield.

Sunday l was in the kitchen and this blue jay landed in my little hemlock tree as they often do, and was cawing out. l wondered if this was the other half  -as l researched these birds are monogamous. Same thing l believe on Monday.

So, l figure the bird was killed by the impact on my fender. l haven't seen them recently.

Edited by hasanhh
spelin'

• Forum Administrators
On 8/10/2020 at 2:10 AM, Ali_Hussain said:

A very therapeutic watch.

But she cuts the onions before the garlic.

I've found that the onions help kill the smell of garlic if you cut them after the garlic.

• Veteran Member
16 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

But she cuts the onions before the garlic.

I've found that the onions help kill the smell of garlic if you cut them after the garlic.

Really? Recently I've started just bashing the garlic with the bottom of a mug, the clove comes out of the shell quite easily and then I either blitz it or throw it in the oil as is, no need to touch it too much. But it is always good to know little tricks to deal with the smell.

• Forum Administrators
3 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Really? Recently I've started just bashing the garlic with the bottom of a mug, the clove comes out of the shell quite easily and then I either blitz it or throw it in the oil as is, no need to touch it too much. But it is always good to know little tricks to deal with the smell.

You can put the bulb/s of garlic in water for a while too and that also helps soften the cloves and they come out of their shell easily. Using a pestle to bash them is also helpful. It’s a lot heavier and you don’t risk breaking your fav mug! 

• Veteran Member
3 minutes ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

You can put the bulb/s of garlic in water for a while too and that also helps soften the cloves and they come out of their shell easily. Using a pestle to bash them is also helpful. It’s a lot heavier and you don’t risk breaking your fav mug! 

4cbset.jpg

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Recently I've started just bashing the garlic with the bottom of a mug, the clove comes out of the shell quite easily and then I either blitz it or throw it in the oil as is, no need to touch it too much.

I need the garlic chopped to put in an omelette. The bashed solution does not spread out as much. Though it would be good for another type of omelette I have been experimenting with where I try and have specific intense flavours in different parts, so I don't whisk much or at all.

• Veteran Member
28 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I need the garlic chopped to put in an omelette. The bashed solution does not spread out as much. Though it would be good for another type of omelette I have been experimenting with where I try and have specific intense flavours in different parts, so I don't whisk much or at all.

There is also the garlic crusher, but it is a bit annoying to wash.

Depending on the dish sometimes it is nice to let the garlic really crisp up, when it turns an light brownish colour.

71BdmhBoQsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

Have you tried using garlic paste? I don’t like using the shop bought one but you can make the paste at home too. 

Maybe you could share the recipe once you’ve perfected it!

• Veteran Member
49 minutes ago, starlight said:

The rose gold one looks so pretty. Let's hope I can find it in Pakistan.

Typical female.

l mush/paste my garlic with a simple tool --a hammer.

Tap ... tap ... crunch . .. crunch ,,, mash ... mash ... mush ... mush and l am done. No buying anything. Nothing inconsequential that takes up drawer space.

And what could be more 'pretty' than a well-made claw hammer l have in my kitchen drawer. The ball-peen and other hammers l have are out in the garage, so l'd have to clean them, which unnecessarily uses my watered-dish soap.

. . . the garlic crusher, but it is a bit annoying to wash.

And l do not have to "wash" it --the hammer. Just wipe it off.

Edited by hasanhh
clarification

• Veteran Member

Well, since l am already on the thoughts thread, here is my current thought:

l have the TV on in the background --and you may have guessed it-- there is another dumb-dog program on.

As Captain Binghamton use to say, "l could just scream."

• Moderators
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l mush/paste my garlic with a simple tool --a hammer

Doesn't it damage your counter?

Actually we have a hammer too for the purpose -the subcontinent  version of pestle and mortar

1756977650_images(36).jpeg.2bfcca6a63738bb5e3ff7a291e08b1cb.jpeg

But it's cumbersome to use when you are cooking for one or two people and want to use only a couple of cloves. I mostly end up finely chopping it or not using it all. I have been thinking of getting a small sturdy grater or garlic press for some time now.

Edited by starlight
spelling

• Veteran Member
37 minutes ago, starlight said:

Doesn't it damage your counter?

l use a cutting board or a plastic plate underneath. Sometimes a jar lid.

My ex wasted money on a mortar and pestle -made of brass- and you could hear it all over the house.

The first time l heard her use it, l forget exactly what l thought, but l needlessly jumped-up to see what was going on.

Maybe l thought she was freaking-out, going ape, or some other characterization for hysterical.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Well, since l am already on the thoughts thread, here is my current thought:

l have the TV on in the background --and you may have guessed it-- there is another dumb-dog program on.

As Captain Binghamton use to say, "l could just scream."

So now l have the local "news" on. 

And what kind of programming are they producing?

What l thought yesterday, there is no old-style, hard news anymore. These are variety shows.

:fever: Yarrabi

• Moderators

My ex wasted money on a mortar and pestle -made of brass-

The one we have is made of stone and for most middle class Pakistani households the sound is as familiar as the running water and the phone ringing. It's does the job very well, but I find it inconvenient to scoop the mush of two cloves out of it and then carry the heavy appliance to sink to wash. 

Maybe l thought she was freaking-out, going ape, or some other characterization for hysterical.

I never imagined you as someone easily scared!

Edited by starlight

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Typical female.

l mush/paste my garlic with a simple tool --a hammer.

Tap ... tap ... crunch . .. crunch ,,, mash ... mash ... mush ... mush and l am done. No buying anything. Nothing inconsequential that takes up drawer space.

And what could be more 'pretty' than a well-made claw hammer l have in my kitchen drawer. The ball-peen and other hammers l have are out in the garage, so l'd have to clean them, which unnecessarily uses my watered-dish soap.

And l do not have to "wash" it --the hammer. Just wipe it off.

Oh yeah!? Well I chew it in my mouth then spit it in the food.

• Veteran Member

Oh yeah!? Well I chew it in my mouth then spit it in the food.

Well, it would chew like chewing tobacco.

Probably healthier, too.

But l wouldn't necessarily use my food as a spittoon.

The food particles from between your teeth might get into it.

Edited by hasanhh

• Forum Administrators
22 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Though it has been heavily 'produced' I think. She's always got just the right implement or ingredient to hand on that shelf next to her and some of the smaller condiments are covered in clingfilm.

Clingfilm?

From the bucolic context you'd get the impression that she was miles from any civilisation, but I would not be surprised if there was a motorway just behind the house.

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Though it has been heavily 'produced' I think. She's always got just the right implement or ingredient to hand on that shelf next to her and some of the smaller condiments are covered in clingfilm.

Clingfilm?

From the bucolic context you'd get the impression that she was miles from any civilisation, but I would not be surprised if there was a motorway just behind the house.

True but for me she had surpassed the Indian guy who builds elaborate water palaces with a stick