Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2020

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

A beautiful (Arabic) piece of poetry made into a nasheed for all those who smoke or take drugs, very strong words and extremely eloquent
Note:
-The Saudi Arabian flag in the thumbnail has nothing to do with the nasheed
-The English translation can be found in the comment section, but do be warned that there are some immature comments there.

 

"Would you buy death if it was sold, oh person, while you have children who are hungry?"

Edited by Husayni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

l read about the old Sylvester Roper's steam carriage. On one tank of water it had a 150 mile range and could travel 30 mph.

A Tesla Model S, basic pack, on 12 kilograms of lithium in a battery pack can travel ~250 miles, at 65mph.

https://www.wired.com.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact 

Not much of an advance to get to the grocery twice as fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 3:33 AM, Husayni said:

"Would you buy death if it was sold, oh person, while you have children who are hungry?"

it's just good for suivide bombers to use their explosive belts faster than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Not much of an advance to get to the grocery twice as fast

Just as the battery needs to be charged, the water needed to be heated. I wonder how those efficiencies compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notme said:

Just as the battery needs to be charged, the water needed to be heated. I wonder how those efficiencies compare. 

Since the water was siphoned into the boiler, there'd be some start time involved but much shorter than charging a battry pack.

Then there is the cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Motor_Carriage_Company 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found out there are fake books that you can use to decorate your house, but you can't read them. What in the world for?

If I ever meet a person who owns these, I will cut all contact with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, notme said:

I just found out there are fake books that you can use to decorate your house, but you can't read them. What in the world for?

If I ever meet a person who owns these, I will cut all contact with them. 

l have seeb these in offices, but not in any homes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hasanhh said:

l have seeb these in offices, but not in any homes.

Why not put a vase or sculpture or painting or historical item? Fake books is lying. 

I saw them online. I have no idea where they would be used. I'm just horrified that they exist. What next? Fake televisions? Simulated children's clutter for those who have no children? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, notme said:

Why not put a vase or sculpture or painting or historical item? Fake books is lying. 

When the manor houses of the 19th Century were built in England, companies sold entire, pre-selected libraries of thousands of volumes to fill the libraries of these houses.

Do you think many were read?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Do you think many were read?

I have some books that I haven't read, but I intend to. Some day. 

At least they could be. It's tragic if they never were, but at least it was possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, notme said:

I have some books that I haven't read, but I intend to. Some day. 

At least they could be. It's tragic if they never were, but at least it was possible. 

A big problem with books is many times you don't get as much out of them as you hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, notme said:

 

I just found out there are fake books that you can use to decorate your house, but you can't read them. What in the world for?

The spines of fake books would be aesthetically consistent and give the appearance you have a full encyclopedia set. It looks clean. Real books likely wouldn’t match well with one another, and it would look like a professors office rather than a nice living room. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

The spines of fake books would be aesthetically consistent and give the appearance you have a full encyclopedia set. It looks clean. Real books likely wouldn’t match well with one another, and it would look like a professors office rather than a nice living room. :grin:

A row of DVDs in cases is also neat and consistent, as is a collection of Xbox or PS games, and doesn't give the appearance of pretending to be a reader when you are not. As I said before, if the purpose is aesthetic, why not a piece of art or other visually interesting object?

Next up, framed photos of stock families so you can have the appearance of having a family without the bother of actually having one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a morning. :fever:

l need to go to the store. Pulling away from the house, what does my liberal radio station want to discuss?

Women's biology (to be polite). So l switch to Conservative radio. What are they discussing?

The plots of Russian hackers --which l thought was Hillary's complaint.

Turning the radio off, l proceed and soon, quickly, run into a double speed-trap the police set up.

The first part is an auto-ticket writer and hidden down the road is a police car. Yarrabi . . . it's a gov't plot.

Getting to the store, l go in, find what l need and check-out,

On my way out, l stop at the movie box. Everything is either really stupid . . .

or obscene. Getting into the car, l drive over to the gas station.

l hadn't bought any gas since November, Ahamduallah for everything.

Then l drive home, pass through the doubled speed-trap, and pull into my garage.

After getting re-settled, l had this thought:

Maybe l need a prescription so l can be in a dream-state of reality.

Where rationality, sensibility and decency exist.

Maybe l should ask starlight for such a prescription.

No, better not.

After some of the things l have posted on S.C . . .

whatever she prescribes might have some serious side effects.

:grin:

There, . . . l feel better already.

lt is surprising what a little humor can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, notme said:

Next up, framed photos of stock families so you can have the appearance of having a family without the bother of actually having one. 

Oops... I actually have that in my living room right now :blush: we bought the frames a year ago but haven't replaced the stock photos yet, but they're nice pics so we don't mind. And the people look like they could be related to us so we've confused a few guests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

l hadn't bought any gas since November, Ahamduallah for everything

Nice! Do you stay in, or take alternate transportation? I try to walk as much as is reasonable, but we live in the suburbs so there's hardly anything close enough to walk, (grocery store 0.4 miles and library 1.8 miles) and no sidewalks anywhere. I still have to fill the gas guzzling behemoth about once per month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, notme said:

Nice! Do you stay in, or take alternate transportation? I try to walk as much as is reasonable, but we live in the suburbs so there's hardly anything close enough to walk, (grocery store 0.4 miles and library 1.8 miles) and no sidewalks anywhere. I still have to fill the gas guzzling behemoth about once per month. 

Actually, l found out l have a 22 gal (88litre) tank rather than the 16 gal l believed l had.  Today l put 21.3 gal into it at $2.19. Yesterday, gas was $2.55, which saved ~$7 1/3 by getting it today.

l still get 14-16mph around town, but l increased my highway mph from 21 to 24-26mph -depending on wnid and weather by modifying the aerodynamics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to apologise for my tone in the other thread I created recently, sorry if anyone felt targeted. I guess all the negativity and hatred on social media got the better of me, so I couldn't explain my message in softer and human way. I created more trouble in that thread. So yeah, my apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe l am getting too cynical in my decrepitude, but l have to wonder about a question in last night's Demoncratic Debate.

Abby Phillip of CNN asked Bernie about an alleged remark he made in 2018 that a woman could not be President. Now Bernie's denial is not important here as is Pocohaunted Warren's remark: that the men on the stage had lost 10 elections.

How the heck would she know that? That is a statement requiring actual research. Not something quickly ascertained in the moment.

So . . . my suspicion is Warren was informed of the question before the debate. Not unusual as Hiller-ry was in the 2016 election cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 8:49 PM, hasanhh said:

Pulling away from the house, what does my liberal radio station want to discuss?

You drive? For some reason I cannot imagine you driving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, starlight said:

You drive? For some reason I cannot imagine you driving. 

Yep. l have been on the road since l was 12 --but that was with farm equipment. Five miles or so at a time.

Three times l have been stopped because the cops thought l was driving too slow, too.

My ex use to hop in the car and say in an elevated voice, "Turtles Away."

Do you drive? A car l mean. Not a donkey cart or an elephant. Or from what l saw on the news, a dog sled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Three times l have been stopped because the cops thought l was driving too slow, too

Now this is something which is easier to imagine..Hahahah....

But it's good that you have both the opportunity and the temperament to take life slow. I have neither and it's pretty unhealthy always trying to beat the clock (driving and otherwise) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, starlight said:

Now this is something which is easier to imagine..Hahahah....

But it's good that you have both the opportunity and the temperament to take life slow. I have neither and it's pretty unhealthy always trying to beat the clock (driving and otherwise) 

With work, normal worries and two wee-ones (lrish idiom) don't forget to take care of yourself first. Think as a stewardess on an airplane is taught to think.

This is one of the best pieces of advice l ever read and this was 50 years ago. The airlines tell them l read, 'no matter what happens, take care of yourself first, because if you do not then you will not be able to help anyone else.'

This came in handy a couple of times.

Oh, l was in my twenties all three times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

'no matter what happens, take care of yourself first, because if you do not then you will not be able to help anyone else.'

Very useful advice indeed. Thank you. I try to.. :/

Edited by starlight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...