Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2020

Rate this topic

Does anyone happen to know the bending strength of air dried golden bamboo? I can't find that information online. I want to use some of it to build furniture, but I have doubts about the strength. 

@The Green Knight

Edited by notme

9 minutes ago, notme said:

Does anyone happen to know the bending strength of air dried golden bamboo? I can't find that information online. I want to use some of it to build furniture, but I have doubts about the strength. 

@The Green Knight

Nope. If I ever felt bothered enough I would take a few pieces of varying cross sectional areas to my uni and have them tested.

21 minutes ago, The Green Knight said:

Nope. If I ever felt bothered enough I would take a few pieces of varying cross sectional areas to my uni and have them tested.

Ok thanks. I'll just use something else. Maybe I'll use it to make a panel just for looks. 

Another very interesting post I read on facebook: 

Whenever politicians start talking in mystical terms, beware. They might be trying to disguise and excuse real suffering by wrapping it up in big incomprehensible words. Be particularly careful about the following four words: sacrifice, eternity, purity and redemption. If you hear any of these, sound the alarm. And if you happen to live in a country whose leader routinely says things like "their sacrifice will redeem the purity of our eternal nation", know that you are in deep trouble. To save your sanity, always try to translate such hogwash into real terms: a soldier crying in agony, a woman beaten and brutalized, a child shaking in fear. 

So true, I hate these words, because whenever people around me have used these words, they always result in pain and suffering for me. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRRi-AazwuI91X9zg29Dz

4 seductions of arrogance:

The seductions of arrogance compound the elusiveness of humility.

1. Arrogance blinds you to personal weakness.

2. Arrogance distorts your appreciation of strength in others.

3. Arrogance prolongs ignorance under the guise of knowledge. The arrogant know. The humble learn.

4. Arrogance tries to matter more through selective comparison. Someone’s always worse than you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/leadershipfreak.blog/2018/05/17/the-seductions-of-arrogance-compound-the-elusiveness-of-humility/amp/

Photos: Who is Hussain? Mauritius chapter donated 110 hoodies to homeless in Port Louis

2efa611257e9dda0d0a1e0e225681194_574.jpg  d26ea36140414fb633e05fada9e36999_120.jpg  2cbd841c8a6bc7aca3747e7303bb4c6c_563.jpg

https://en.abna24.com/news//photos-who-is-hussain-mauritius-chapter-donated-110-hoodies-to-homeless-in-port-louis_1052905.html

Rare video of Imam Khamenei participated at funeral procession of Grand Aytaollah Golpaygani in 1993

https://en.abna24.com/news//rare-video-of-imam-khamenei-participated-at-funeral-procession-of-grand-aytaollah-golpaygani_1052359.html

July 4, 2020 - 10:39 AM News Code : 1052359 Source : Abna24Link:   

AhlulBayt News Agency (ABNA): Rare video of Imam Khamenei participated at funeral procession of Grand Aytaollah Golpaygani on December of 1993 in Tehran, Iran.

I don't know when the change happened, but somehow I've gone from embarrassingly weird mom to cool eccentric mom. :sunglasses:

I'd like to think I'm still as embarrassing to my kids as ever. 

You may be wondering if it’s even possible to ride a roller coaster without screaming. Well, Fuji-Q Highland president Daisuke Iwata and president of its parent company Fuji Kyuko, Koichiro Horiuchi, set out to prove that it’s actually not that difficult. They both took a ride on the park’s tallest roller coaster, the Fujiyama, and filmed it for our benefit – or amusement. The video shows them sitting in the front seats of the first car, Iwata on the left, Horiuchi on the right. Throughout the ride, both mask-wearing men remain completely silent, making serious faces. The video ends with a line of text reading ‘Please scream inside your heart’.

In Delhi, the 400-year-old Jama Masjid mosque, one of the biggest in India, is planning to limit worshippers to just three visits a day, instead of the usual five.

Praying three times a day. Hmm. Sounds familiar to many Shias. :itsok: 

Video:

Imam Khamanei: The secret behind resistance & steadfastness in facing Arrogant Powers?

https://en.abna24.com/news//imam-khamanei-the-secret-behind-resistance-steadfastness-in-facing-arrogant-powers_1054970.html

On 6/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, notme said:

@The Green Knight

l decided to look this up. The tensile strength is much higher than steel.

Look up "tensile strength bamboo vs. steel"

On 6/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, notme said:

Bamboo furniture for your own use or to sell to other people? What about making a bamboo fishing pole (cane pole), bamboo fence screen or bamboo room divider?   

8 hours ago, Ahmed Yusuf said:

This is really bad, something needs to be done about this so as not to encourage other anti religious segment of the society. 

If you have a direct link to the Facebook page that you are upset with, please create a new thread and post that link. Mods will not approve a post with a link to download a file from some unknown source that might contain malware. 

1 hour ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

Bamboo furniture for your own use or to sell to other people? What about making a bamboo fishing pole (cane pole), bamboo fence screen or bamboo room divider?   

I want to build a rope bed using bamboo poles. It's a low-cost, meant-to-be-fun project that I will keep for myself but if I enjoy the process I might take it up as a hobby and give furniture as gifts. 

Fence or room divider might be useful and beautiful too. Right now I want to throw out our sofa because it has springs sticking out, so I am trying to build something for sitting or reclining. (I would add cushions.)

I don't actually go fishing. 

11 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

A hammock or the charpai kind with four legs? 

My plan is to try for something like charpai. It will be challenging. Because I don't know if I'll be able to produce a usable result, I was hoping to use mostly materials I already have on hand. The legs will be 4x4 posts with holes cut for the bamboo rails. 

My hesitation is rooted in the fact that my family has broken a (relatively cheap) store-bought sofa in only two years. If the bamboo splinters, it could possibly hurt someone, and after many hours of work weaving the surface I'd be very disappointed to see it broken. 

Someone in the music world has been called out for anti-semitic tweets. A well known British businessman (Lord Sugar) weighed in against the musician, only for his own previous racist tweet to be quoted back to him:

On 7/4/2020 at 6:05 PM, rkazmi33 said:

Another very interesting post I read on facebook: 

Whenever politicians start talking in mystical terms, beware. They might be trying to disguise and excuse real suffering by wrapping it up in big incomprehensible words. Be particularly careful about the following four words: sacrifice, eternity, purity and redemption. If you hear any of these, sound the alarm. And if you happen to live in a country whose leader routinely says things like "their sacrifice will redeem the purity of our eternal nation", know that you are in deep trouble. To save your sanity, always try to translate such hogwash into real terms: a soldier crying in agony, a woman beaten and brutalized, a child shaking in fear. 

So true, I hate these words, because whenever people around me have used these words, they always result in pain and suffering for me. 

So when immam Mahdi(aswj) tells me to sacrifice my self for him (be an actual shaheed) and defend his pure nation which he will establish, I need to sound the alarm, got it.

Edited by HusseinAbbas

21 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I have been wondering if I'm a bad person lately.

Sometimes those negative thoughts we now have are just reminders of abusive language that someone told us when we were young. We can't change our past (what people said to us or did to us). Don't beat yourself up. Keep holding onto Allah and Ahle Bayt AS. 

21 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I have been wondering if I'm a bad person lately.

I do not believe you to be a bad person. 

Every person should wonder this from time to time though, and think about ways they can improve themselves.