Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2020

Rate this topic

Notice: Now the church is just locked up. You can watch your priest on you-tube I guess. 

Weddings,etc. are postponed. 

No public Easter celebration.

The priests have, however, been taking the Processional Cross and Blessed Sacrament through the streets praying for protection from the virus. Everyone stays inside and listens for them.

Looks vaguely medieval, but is interesting and comforting.

39 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Notice: Now the church is just locked up. You can watch your priest on you-tube I guess. 

Weddings,etc. are postponed. 

Here in Kansas, private funerals are still taking place at graveside but only immediate family (less than 10 people are supposed to attend). Memorial services for big groups of people are postponed to a later date. 

This thought probably needs a critique, yet here goes:

Last night at the supermarket l got what l needed and what my sister wanted me to get for her. After l was done and being close by l walked a few extra steps tp check the paper productucts aisle. Except for a few table napkins the aisle was sheet metal bare. lt gleamed.

So about Noon today l saw the new  "Quilted Northern" bathroom tissue advertisement on TV. How they are stepping up production and shipping it out.

My thought after see this commercial: people are buying too much bathroom tissue for the same reason many people need "comfort food" and/or "consoling objects" or a "security blanket".

Someone can also complete this thought, too.

20 hours ago, hasanhh said:

My thought after see this commercial: people are buying too much bathroom tissue for the same reason many people need "comfort food" and/or "consoling objects" or a "security blanket".

I think a lot of people are trained to take comfort in buying things. It gives them a false sense that they have control over their environment. I got an email advertisement yesterday from a clothing company offering to make me feel better through something called "retail therapy" and I'm seriously considering never buying from that company again.

Meanwhile, our local grocery is still out of paper products.  We did manage to get some milk, but even without it we're ok.  I keep powdered milk on hand.

I find it strange that people are stocking up on perishable foods.  It seems more practical to stock up on canned or dry goods, but those grocery aisles are still normal.

@notme My husband makes it a point to buy one more of certain necessary  items  ( like toilet paper, shampoo, soap, water,etc. )than we need when he shops. Just one, but over time it stocks a pantry. So we're okay for now. Every few years the roads become impassable for a bit due to one or more natural disasters, so he has developed the habit. I am not as good at that as he is.

Our oldest son is a regular" Boy Scout". He probably has a bug-out bag ready at all times. Meanwhile DD is running around being Nurse Nancy, spraying anything new that comes into the house with homemade disinfectant and taking everyone's temperature on the daily. All of them are making sure their father and I remain under "house arrest".

Adult children are fun. I thought they left you alone more. They do not. I'm glad they love us, but it's a bit like when they were little and you were trying to take a shower or something and they woke up from the nap and  were banging on the door. I can't do anything without going through them first.

My life is now ruled by a committee.

20 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Here in Kansas, private funerals are still taking place at graveside but only immediate family (less than 10 people are supposed to attend). Memorial services for big groups of people are postponed to a later date. 

Same here. Fortunately, no one has died here for a few months. 

2 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Just one, but over time it stocks a pantry.

This is what I've been doing for years. I used to be too poor to buy what I needed, so since then I'm careful to not come close to running out. We have enough dry and canned food to go without shopping for three months. 

Baking soda and vinegar can be used for most personal and household cleaning. It's not very good as shampoo unless you don't mind smelling like a salad, and for laundry and dishwashing you'll still want a little bit of soap, but you can use a lot less. I keep a couple gallons of vinegar and a pool-treatment sized bag of baking soda. I also recommend bleach, though I don't use it because I'm allergic. I use the old brown liquid Lysol, which is hard to find nowadays. 

So l just finished watching ABC "Pandemic". So what do l have to endure? Their choices of music.

lt is the same with the other nutworks.

Why is it, or, what is it, that nutworks believe that we are in need of music.

#$%^&&*$#@ !  Everyone is worried about getting sick with C0VlD-19 and the nutworks are trying to kill US with their choice of instrumental noise.

8 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Why is it, or, what is it, that nutworks believe that we are in need of music.

Recently everyone is recommending that we listen to music as a therapy for anxiety. I have seen and heard these recently: Watch this, listen to that, our playlist will calm you down, these songs will make you happy. Instead of turning to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in prayer and dua, reading or listening to the Holy Qur'an, nasheed and noha, people are being lured away from the straight path. 

I came across this on a forum that is made up of my neighbours:

I have just returned from my daily walk to *** where the majority of walkers and runners are being very considerate and much smiling and thanking going on.  However, I had an unpleasant exchange with a gentleman who I thanked for stepping aside but I commented that it was not the requested two metres. He then continued with much abuse that I was not wearing a mask and I was probably the one carrying the virus and did I expect him to step off the path ( there was plenty of safe space to do so) to create the two metres. ( I had the *** to my left so I couldn’t move aside). If, Sir, you are reading this, I hope you think next time before slagging a stranger off.

Funny isn't it how we develop new etiquette, social norms, etc. to cope with new situations and as ever there are liberals and fundo's for the new rules.

8 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

on a forum that is made up of my neighbours:

I am so glad I live in the rural east! I would literally suffocate if I had to interact with real world people in online world too and vice versa. 

8 hours ago, starlight said:

I am so glad I live in the rural east! I would literally suffocate if I had to interact with real world people in online world too and vice versa. 

The way it works is that it comprises people in a neighbourhood.

But it's very good, people report any suspicious characters they have seen and the reg plate numbers of their cars. Urbanites and especially Londoners are accused of having less sense of community, but this helps break that stereotype.

Right now the app is helping people do the shopping for each other etc.

3 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Some stupid pastor in Floriduuuuh held a service for his 4000 member some- kind -of -church in violation of county emergency ordinances and got his dumb  self arrested. Hope they quarantine his whole flock,too. 

What do you expect from evilgelicals? Earlier in the month he proclaimed he'd not close his coven until the wrapture.

40 minutes ago, starlight said:

Is there a way to kill Zoom? Asking for a friend. :P 

I thought it's pretty cool, especially how you can change the background to something more fun. Makes Adobe Connect look prehistoric. 

20 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I thought it's pretty cool, especially how you can change the background to something more fun. Makes Adobe Connect look prehistoric. 

I.do.not.want.to.work.:braveheart: 

I want to get paid without working.

I just want to sleep and bake and read books. 

Guest In Allah we trust
11 minutes ago, starlight said:

I.do.not.want.to.work.:braveheart: 

I want to get paid without working.

I just want to sleep and bake and read books. 

I don't know how you do it/ did it. A qualified doctor, with kids, and then teaching after. Any one of those is a handful, but at the same time? Real strength of character. 

14 minutes ago, starlight said:

I.do.not.want.to.work.

That's the whole point. Zoom can tell if you are looking at the screen it doesn't tell the others what is on your screen.

When you are screen sharing remember to quit Shiachat.

2 minutes ago, Guest In Allah we trust said:

I don't know how you do it/ did it. A qualified doctor, with kids, and then teaching after. Any one of those is a handful, but at the same time? Real strength of character. 

Not a big deal. Millions of single parents do this and more everyday. 

Just now, Haji 2003 said:

That's the whole point. Zoom can tell if you are looking at the screen it doesn't tell the others what is on your screen.

When you are screen sharing remember to quit Shiachat.

I have to deliver lectures so I can't slack off and I am always on screen sharing. :cry: but it's a couple of hours only so I will survive Inshallah :P 

Thank you for the reminder about ShiaChat. 

21 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Fatiha and namaze wahshat request for my grandmother tonight 31.03.2020 Fatima bint Sayf.

Inna lillah wa inna ilayhi rajioun.

اللهم اغفر للمومنین و والمومنات و المسلمین و المسلمات 

Edited by imaan=faith

Is it allowed to say your salams and end your prayer before the leader of a jamaah prayer has ended his salams?

A friend of mine says you can but to my understanding you should follow the lead of the person leading the prayer from start to end.

Edited by Soldiers and Saffron

On 3/31/2020 at 5:33 AM, hasanhh said:

What do you expect from evilgelicals? Earlier in the month he proclaimed he'd not close his coven until the wrapture.

ln my area, this trashy church is trying --succeeded-- in getting publicity by not closing. So now the health department is involved. These bible-babblers have what they want now --publicity even at the expense of killing their own parishioners.

This place has made national news before in not the best of ways.

2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

These bible-babblers have what they want now --publicity even at the expense of killing their own parishioners.

I feel sad for the poor brainwashed idiot followers. The pastor should be jailed, same as those "pranksters" going around contaminating food in grocery stores. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

I feel sad for the poor brainwashed idiot followers. The pastor should be jailed, same as those "pranksters" going around contaminating food in grocery stores. 

A couple of days ago and not in releation to this tragedy-in-the-making story which came out yesterday, l was trying to form a phrase to describe these "brainwashed idiot followers" --about none of whom can even recite the ten commandments.

The flow-chart was "jesus stupid" to a more mythologically generalized "zeus stupid."

l think the Victor Hugo quote, "you get one idea in your head and you see it in everything" applies here.