Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
3wliya_maryam

Saying ‘merry christmas’ is haram?

Rate this topic

Thought this would be interesting. But I need answers as to why it’s not haram bc I know how some of those Sunni scholars are literally close minded.

Basically I posted a thread from a Shia sheikh who said that saying merry Christmas is not haram and doesn’t mean shirk but mutual respect between two different religions and not a propagation of the belief system . We’re not suddenly losing our faiths just by saying it

my friend replied to it and told me that it was fitnah. Saying merry Christmas means that you’re agreeing to the fact that Jesus was born as the son of God. Which also implies shirk., therefore it’s best to say happy greetings . She also said that’s like saying oh go enjoy your holiday, it’s against Allah.

whilst she does have a point I don’t entirely agree. What are you thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

Saying merry Christmas means that you’re agreeing to the fact that Jesus was born as the son of God.

Why does it mean that? Can't we take it to mean that it refers to the birth of a major Prophet ((عليه السلام).)? My reading of the Qur'an is that Islam takes all the Old Testament Prophets as Muslims, I.e. Jesus ((عليه السلام).) is as much ours as theirs. So why should we let them have the monopoly on celebrating his birth?

22 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Does 'Merry Christmas" mean "Happy worship Christ day"?

Muslims & Christmas Trees?

Christmas Greeting: The birth of Jesus

or you can just say Ho Ho Ho like Papa Noel :party::hahaha:

ho ho ho pere noël

On 12/26/2019 at 10:24 PM, 3wliya_maryam said:

my friend replied to it and told me that it was fitnah.

Yes I too have noticed that some Sunnis can get quite up in arms over this issue :rolleyes:  Especially if they have been listening to sheikh's that promote a certain ideology that comes out of Saudi-Arabia. From what I could see from their arguments there is nothing in the Qur'an that supports their claim that it is Haram. Instead they are quoting hadith's that is generally considered weak such as Sunan Abu Dawud as well as comment and rulings by Ibn Taymiyyah. If I am not mistaken I think that these are texts that Shia Scholars usually don't take into consideration for different reasons.
As far as I understand the ruling by Ali Khamenei, it is OK to celebrate Jesus as the "Christ" which is the Greek word for Messiah under which name among others that Nabi Isa is mentioned in the Qur'an. I think that Ali Khamenei has taken it for granted that no Muslim would honor the Christian claim that Jesus was suppose to be God. A claim that is obviously Shirk. However Nabi Isa is actually the Prophet that is mentioned the most times in the Qur'an, (I read somewhere a 187 times), so I think that this would underline the importance of that Prophet.

I think that the Sunni position on this issue stem from the fear of accidentally doing something that is haram. And if they have that fear then perhaps it is better to stay away, but it is also possible to use common sense. Such as avoiding Christmas Carols that claim that Jesus is God and of cause avoiding the type of mixed gathering of non-maharam people where alcohol and pork is usually consumed.

Iranian Muslims give flowers to compatriot Christians

https://en.abna24.com/news//iranian-Muslims-give-flowers-to-compatriot-christians_997303.html

December 29, 2019 - 6:59 PM News Code : 997303 Source : FNALink: 

Iranian Muslims give flowers to compatriot Christians

Scores of Iranian Muslims went to churches across the country to celebrate the ceremony of "the Appointment of the Cross and the Crescent" with their compatriot Christians, handing bunches of flowers to Armenians and Assyrians.

Spokesman of Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs attended the ceremony of "the Appointment of the Cross and the Crescent" at Saint Sarkis Cathedral in Tehran where many Muslims showered their fellow Iranians of Christianity with flowers.

The ceremony was held on Sunday as a manifestation of the friendship between Muslims and Christians on the advent of the Christian New Year and with the purpose of deeper friendship between the divine religions.

Mousavi also met with Archbishop Sebuh Sarkisian.

On Friday, Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei in a message advised followers of the Jesus Christ together with Muslims to adhere to righteousness.

"The honor Muslims attribute to Jesus Christ ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) is no less than his position and merit in the eyes of the Christian believers in Christianity," Supreme Leader wrote in his Twitter account.

"The guidance of Jesus, the son of Mary (peace be upon our Prophet and her) is guidance towards worshiping God and confronting the Pharaohs and tyrants," he said.

"Following Jesus Christ requires adherence to righteousness and abhorrence of anti-righteous powers, and it is hoped that Christians and Muslims in every part of the world will adhere to this great lesson from Jesus ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) in their lives and deeds," he reiterated.

Catholic Christians celebrate the birth of Holy Prophet Jesus Christ ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) on December 26.

Two years ago, Zarif had commemorated the occasion quoting verses from the Holy Qur'an.

“The angels said, Mary, God gives you glad-tidings of a Word from Him whose name is Christ, Jesus, son of Mary; highly honored in this world and the next" Qur'an 3:45,” Zarif wrote on his Twitter message.