Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
confusedandannoyed

Blasphemy Law and Death Penalty: For or Against?

Rate this topic

Blasphemy Law and Death Penalty: For or Against?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should those found guilty of blasphemy be sentenced to death?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends (please elaborate in the comments)

As some of you might know, a prominent lecturer/academic in Pakistan, Junaid Hafeez, was recently sentenced to death for committing blasphemy, in violation of the anti-blasphemy law in Pakistan which carries the death penalty as a consequence of a guilty verdict.

What do you all think about blasphemy laws and the death penalty for such a crime? Do you think it is justified? Do you think it should be reduced? If so, what is an appropriate penalty for this?

Please vote in the poll. I'd like to hear what members think about the law and its attendant consequences.

This law is highly controversial basically because the Prophet never awarded death sentence to any blasphemers. If he did then Umar bin Khattab would have been killed, to name just one. Its also not in Qur'an. Ending a life in Islam is allowed under 3 circumstances only. (a) During jihad under an infallible representative of God (b) In self defense of your life and property and those of loved ones while facing mortal threat, and lastly (c) when awarding capital punishment under Islamic court. It is also no secret, especially after recent events in Pakistan that our judicial system is very long overdue for a complete overhaul (british colonial system designed police force as well) and there is lots of corruption so such laws that can so easily get a person killed are like fire in the hands of a monkey which endangers all birds' nests.

That said, I quote Wikipedia:

He was accused of using the account Mulla Munnafiq to comment about Muhammad's wives in the closed group "So-Called Liberals of Pakistan." The police claim to have gathered 1200 pages of material that incriminates him from his computer as well as a book called "Progressive Muslims" that he had received.

No individuals whosoever should be allowed to hurt the religious or other deepest feelings of any other citizens. Not in Pakistan at least, please. Perhaps branding the tongue of someone who wrote "1200 pages" of cancerous hate speech would be a good alternative to deter such compulsively offending individuals? Or some real punishment like that.

2 hours ago, confusedandannoyed said:

As some of you might know, a prominent lecturer/academic in Pakistan, Junaid Hafeez, was recently sentenced to death for committing blasphemy, in violation of the anti-blasphemy law in Pakistan which carries the death penalty as a consequence of a guilty verdict.

What do you all think about blasphemy laws and the death penalty for such a crime? Do you think it is justified? Do you think it should be reduced? If so, what is an appropriate penalty for this?

Please vote in the poll. I'd like to hear what members think about the law and its attendant consequences.

I Thank God I live in the US.  here I can freely say things like:  

I am an Atheist.  :)  

I think people should be respectful of other people’s religion, but death penalty is way too extreme.  Rather I think people should simply get fined like how people get fined for traffic violations.  

Edited by eThErEaL

4 hours ago, confusedandannoyed said:

What did he say or did exactly? 

Man made and man executed laws are majorly lacking in justice. The only situation where such law would be acceptable and just would be by the order of the Imam AJF. 

7 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

I Thank God I live in the US.  here I can freely say things like:  

I am an Atheist.  :)  

I think people should be respectful of other people’s religion, but death penalty is way too extreme.  Rather I think people should simply get fined like how people get fined for traffic violations.  

Not all religions are acceptable and America is actually a good exemple of that. 

22 hours ago, confusedandannoyed said:

Salam they do takfir on Shias too with same accusation that used against him also similar case happened about martyr Hasan Shahhata (رضي الله عنه) in Egypt that he in response of some wahabist in a public speech he threatened them that he will expose secrets of Aisha from Sunni sources to public because as a former Sunni scholar  from Al Azhar he had vast information from her life than any other person but his promise caused that famous egyptian wahabi preacher the Yusuf al-Qaradawi announced his speech as blasphemy that in the end angry people rushed to the house that martyr Hasan Shahatah (رضي الله عنه) was attending as a guest to celebrate Imam Mahdi (aj) birthday in a village that had a small Shia community between a large group of Salafists & wahabists that angry people rushed to their community &hit them to death & martyred Hasan Shahhata (رضي الله عنه) in most brutal way.

The Killing of Hasan Shahhata | Full Documentary

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

23 minutes ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

If this is a joke this is not funny. 

I think it would be funny either way.  Whether it was a joke or not.  

I voted depends.

I think certain Religious truths can be known by "natural" reason alone, basically crude ethical Monotheism. Punishing people for deliberately denying those truths and teaching others to does make sense to me. After that though I am not so sure. 

I think Plato was correct in saying that atheists should be locked up for five years and argued with, and at the end of being argued with they are still atheists (we have lie detector tests these days) ideally they should be executed. 

1 hour ago, Celtic Twilight said:

I voted depends.

I think certain Religious truths can be known by "natural" reason alone, basically crude ethical Monotheism. Punishing people for deliberately denying those truths and teaching others to does make sense to me. After that though I am not so sure. 

I think Plato was correct in saying that atheists should be locked up for five years and argued with, and at the end of being argued with they are still atheists (we have lie detector tests these days) ideally they should be executed. 

Can you please explain how monotheism is explained by natural reasons, as opposed to, let's say, polytheism or atheism?

3 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

Agree. Even for guests. And could be detrimental for youngsters.

Even though people shouldn't take advice online regarding important subjects, some do.

Oh I see... what are you guys going to do,

give me a death sentence?

7 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

This is confusing for other members. Please be more clear. 

If you read his posts from say over a month or two ago all will be crystal clear. And if you read them before he wrote "Islam" as his religion in his profile then only a few posts will suffice.

14 minutes ago, The Green Knight said:

If you read his posts from say over a month or two ago all will be crystal clear. And if you read them before he wrote "Islam" as his religion in his profile then only a few posts will suffice.

6 weeks ago. Mods noticed. Wondering if his account has been hacked. 

10 minutes ago, AkhiraisReal said:

If you are not Muslim then you shouldn't have religion set as Islam. Because your views and replies won't be according to Islamic standards.

Are YOU a Muslim?

1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

So is the entire universe.  

the universe being every created thing?

15 hours ago, Celtic Twilight said:

Most interesting. But I think instead of executing them we should just send them to NATO countries instead or put them in a school. Its against chivalry to just execute people. Hence I partially agreed.

Just now, Mohammadi_follower said:

Stop say stupidities and you will not be offended. 

First you called me weird and then stupid.  
I am surprised this forum allows such personal attacks to occur.  

I have not said anything stupid.  

18 minutes ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

For me saying atheism is great and insulting scholars is stupid honnestly. 

How am I insulting scholars?  I hope you have not intentionally lied.  

I respect all scholars.

Some, if not many Atheists are more sincere in Islam than most of the Muslims who merely call themselves Muslims.  

when one says the Shahahdah,

they must first become an Atheist.

Laa Ilaha—-(there is no God)

and then Illallah. (If not God)

So yes, this is why I am a proud Atheist.  

Edited by eThErEaL

8 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

How am I insulting scholars?  I hope you have not intentionally lied.  

I respect all scholars.

Some, if not many Atheists are more sincere in Islam than most of the Muslims who merely call themselves Muslims.  

when one says the Shahahdah,

they must first become an Atheist.

Laa Ilaha—-(there is no God)

and then Illallah. (If not God)

So yes, this is why I am a proud Atheist.  

I am maybe wrong but I remember one guy in this forum who said scholars were "extremists" if that was not you then sorry. 

For the rest I just stop to try to understand the nonsense you are writing. 

On 12/21/2019 at 7:57 PM, confusedandannoyed said:

I don't get how blasphemy requires a death sentence. Sure a few years sentence is punishable enough, but death, really? I mean I'm not surprised that a strict country like Pakistan would induce such laws. God knows what they'd do to a girl whose accused of committing zina.

I voted for that it depends. It really does. For instance, say someone murdered a person out of self defense, they deserve a lesser sentence or perhaps even no sentence at all. Doesn't prove him to be a killer. If it was a psychotic killer on the loose murdering people due to some mental problem then he'd be transferred to a psych ward. Some people even kill others while sleepwalking. 

But if it was truly a killer whose intentions were to mercilessly kill others carelessly, including his loved ones, then thats the kind of person who should receive the death penalty. If it was a pervert stalking and raping girls then perhaps he could receive life imprisonment. so really it all depends on the person and the type of crime.