In the Name of God بسم الله

Does anyone have any recipes they'd be willing to share?

Rate this topic

Suzy

• Basic Members

I live in the midwest of the United States. Where I'm located I don't have a ton of options in foods aside from American, Italian and Mexican. I love to cook! Do you have any recipes that you and/or your family love that you'd be willing to share? I do love spicy food so don't shy from sharing recipes that are hot. Any dishes are acceptable from desserts to vegetarian dishes to dishes with meat. 

Also - if you have a dish that is special to your family that you're willing to share, I would be honored to make it and share it with mine. For those of you outside of the states, if there's a particular recipe that is special to your country I'd love it as well. 

Thank you :)

• Advanced Member

The new generations don't do the old style recipes anymore.

Nowadays, recipes are so advanced and available everywhere. All You have to do is call and it comes to your door ready to eat lol 

IMG_7516.PNG

• Advanced Member

On a serious note, I just wanted to bump up your thread so other good cooks can help :) 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Suzy said:

I love to cook! Do you have any recipes that you and/or your family love that you'd be willing to share? I do love spicy food so don't shy from sharing recipes that are hot. Any dishes are acceptable from desserts to vegetarian dishes to dishes with meat. 

Check the topics in the Food Club here: 

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/forum/145-topics/

• Veteran Member

Since you put desserts in the first place, I will share "Halwa" recipe with you! I make this for my daughters as breakfast sometimes and they love it.

Ingredients:

- Semolina 250 grams

- Sugar 250 grams

- Gram flour 250 grams

- Cooking Oil 150 grams

- (Dairy) Butter 100 grams

- Resins 40 grams

- Dried Coconut shavings, chopped 40 grams

- Full Cream Milk 2 kg

Procedure:

Keep milk in a jug and gram flour in a large bowl before hand because you have to add them in fairly quick succession later. In a utensil of appropriate size and shaped like or/a Wok, put the oil and the butter both and heat it for a few minutes until hot. Add Semolina and let it fry for some minutes but keep stirring, until you notice its color changed to light brown (timing is necessary here, do not let it get too dark or it will burn, do not use too high burner flame or you will easily miss the next window and manage to add burnt taste) and you also notice the oil is beginning to separate from its particles at the edges proceed to next step and quickly add the gram flour in a spreading fashion so it does not make lumps and keep stirring until it is mixed and you notice it shares the same color as of the fried semolina before. Also you should be able to see the oil beginning to separate from the flour particles at the edges of the wok. Do not fry the gram flour for more than a few minutes, this is a step critical to success, don't let it start to burn before next step. At this moment add the milk and then the sugar. Now add the resins and stir. Keep your hand safe now because bubbles will form and pop continuously for some time. When you notice the bubbles are not so wet anymore and there is a thick consistency with oil starting to appear at the surface and the milk is almost dry, turn off the flame. Add coconut dressing. Eat warm. If done right with no burn taste and just right fry timings and reduction of milk's moisture you will love the taste. This is one of my favorite dessert for winters and it is filling and keeps nourishing for hours.

Edited by The Green Knight

• Veteran Member

How can anyone classify anything as a food group mixing American with ltalian and Mexican?

There is American food . . . :eat:

Then there is ltalian and Mexican heartburn  :fever: "Just ask Maxwell Smart (Get Smart 60s TV)."

My basic recipie is boiling water . . . and then dump in whatever l find on the shelf.

l do bake though. Biscuits out of a can, store-bought pies, potatoes.

Otherwise, l use a microwave.

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, hasanhh said:

How can anyone classify anything as a food group mixing American with ltalian and Mexican?

There is American food . . . :eat:

Then there is ltalian and Mexican heartburn  :fever: "Just ask Maxwell Smart (Get Smart 60s TV)."

My basic recipie is boiling water . . . and then dump in whatever l find on the shelf.

l do bake though. Biscuits out of a can, store-bought pies, potatoes.

Otherwise, l use a microwave.

How have you survived so far on processed food? Its industry waste being sold to you!

BestVeneratedInchworm-max-1mb.gif

• Veteran Member
5 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l supplement with vitamin tablets.

You have to be kidding, as usual. Synthetic vitamin is no match for natural. Also because they work in combinations we are only in the process of discovering. For example, protein nutrients essential for knee cap rejuvenation can not be absorbed without vitamin C. Or synthetic B12 is no match to natural B12. Etc. We haven't even discovered all the nutrients or their complete roles yet.

Eat natural brother.

• Advanced Member
On 12/19/2019 at 10:44 AM, Suzy said:

I live in the midwest of the United States. Where I'm located I don't have a ton of options in foods aside from American, Italian and Mexican. I love to cook! Do you have any recipes that you and/or your family love that you'd be willing to share? I do love spicy food so don't shy from sharing recipes that are hot. Any dishes are acceptable from desserts to vegetarian dishes to dishes with meat. 

Also - if you have a dish that is special to your family that you're willing to share, I would be honored to make it and share it with mine. For those of you outside of the states, if there's a particular recipe that is special to your country I'd love it as well. 

Thank you :)

You probably already know what brownies are because you're American, but im in love with them, and at the same time I hate myself for baking them sometimes because I normally eat half the batch.

Anyway, this is how I make them:

1 cup flour

3 eggs

3/4 cup of cocoa powder

1 and 1/2 cup of sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp of vanilla essence

1/2 cup of melted butter

I mix all that together and then sometimes just for fun and start being creative such as stuffing them with TimTams (an Australian biscuit) or Oreos. bake for about 15-20 minutes. let it cool and if I feel like it I just dust some icing sugar on top

im not really a fan of Arab sweets. full of syrup and sugar

• Basic Members
11 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

You probably already know what brownies are because you're American, but im in love with them, and at the same time I hate myself for baking them sometimes because I normally eat half the batch.

Brownies are my weakness! I am the exact same way, thanks for sharing!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Same here.  So sweet they are no fun to eat. A plain cooked potatoe tastes better.

Seriously? okay I am not a fan of Kunafah but Om Ali and Mamoul are so good and if anyone says one bad word about Baklava and I will ban him for blasphemy!! 

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, starlight said:

Seriously? okay I am not a fan of Kunafah but Om Ali and Mamoul are so good and if anyone says one bad word about Baklava and I will ban him for blasphemy!! 

l had to look these up.

Kunafah -too much sugar (to disguise the poor product?)

Om Ali -is a lot like Fruit Compote but without any bread

Mamoul -we have something like this, but l do not know what it's called

Baklava ---- _________________________and to much sugary on top.

[ ______ = l can be intimidated :) ]

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Om Ali -is a lot like Fruit Compote but without any bread

Without any bread? Om Ali is bread pudding! 

18 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Baklava ---- _________________________and to much sugary on top.

It's not that sugary, at least not the whole bite. The nut filling neutralizes the sugar. 

• Advanced Member

My recent favorite. Made it twice in its proper way, and the second time was better than the first.

Name: Punjabi Chana Daal

(Google ‘chana daal’ to see what I’m talking about, people call it gram lentils but I doubt if it’s correct)

Method:

Step 1: Add half tsp turmeric and half tsp salt in two cups of Daal, and two cups of water. Put it in pressure cooker. Put it on medium high and wait till the pressure is built. Then count 12min. Then turn off the stove.

Step 2: Add 1/4 cup oil in a deep pan, heat under medium high.

Add freshly chopped one square inch ginger, three garlic cloves, and two green jalapeño in hot oil. Simmer for three minutes. This is enough for these to release their aroma.

Add one thinly chopped onion in the pan, let it stir fry on medium high till the onion is slightly brown. 

Add 1/2 tsp red chilly powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala, 1/4tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric. Mix it in the onion and keep moving it around till the spices are sort of roasted. 

This whole procedure should take you about 15 min. 

By this time, the pressure cooker is done. Wait till the pressure is released. Open the lid and pour the stir fried paste into the Daal. Mix as Dall is remained at Medium High heat. 

Deviation: in original Punjabi recipe, the tomatoes are also stirred with the onions. This is not the sophisticated way, as I was told by a few UP cooks, so I skip it. Tomatoes take away that signature Daal color as well, so I see the point.

Step 3: Take another frying pan. Heat 1/4 cup oil at medium high. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them pop a bit without them being burned. Add methi leaves and bay leaves, enough in quantity that they could crush in your fist (maybe one ounce total) and sprinkle them in the oil. Let it fry for a few minutes. As soon as the aroma touches your nose, pick up the pan, and pour the oil in the stirring Daal. 

Step 4: Take a spoon full of Daal out, and taste it like a professional cook. It would boost your cook-ego. Add more salt in it if needed, and stir.

DONE 

P.S. Serve with Naan (or any bread), Achar (the oil mango pickle). Or serve with boiled West Asian rice (not the East Asian tiny rice cousin). 

P.S.S. Turn the kitchen exhaust on at HIGH. Subcontinent foods aromas stay.

P.S.S.S. I purchased a 6quart Instant Pot so I can turn on the exhaust all along (the stovetop flame goes all over if I turn the exhaust on during cooking), and I also get the benefit of automated pressure cooker. You should definitely purchase it if you don’t like babysitting the food.