Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
hasanhh

Alert: l Have a Hindu Site Ghosting on my Computer

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, funklebits said:

I hope no one minds me adding my two cents to the thread. I am a Senior Info Sec Engineer for a hospital and wanted to make the following statements based off of what I read,

Apple products are not safe and are just as vulnerable as Windows.

Linux is an amazing free operating system that is far less vulnerable than Windows and Apple. If you are running a Nix (lingo for Linux) host, no matter the flavor you should have anti-virus on it. No exceptions. I only run Nix in my home and every server and host has antivirus on it.

If you have a device that connects to the internet the two main ways to protect your self is to turn on automatic updates and install anti-virus. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT OS OR PLATFORM YOU USE.

If anyone has issues and needs advice or help please feel free to DM me.

I would suggest that he installs ubuntu as it looks easy to use.

But ill say it as it is, I've only just finished the 1rst course of cisco I have still 3 to go and I am less specialized on systems as in my college program we also study the hardware of computers and we have courses in electricity.

The program is called

electronics: Computer and networks

in french

But the first year you study electricity with people from industrial electronics and the others from telecomunications, where we studied how to make circuits with transistors, resistances , lightbulbs, amplifiers, soldering, etc.

But when it comes to systems , I only have general knowlege of Powershell, a good amount on routers and commutators and cmd , windows, linux(ubuntu) and their history ,  BIOS, how to find info on the systems specs , etc.

Which is why I don’t want to be seen as an expert on this also.

So you seem more qualified on computer systems.

Edited by HusseinAbbas

46 minutes ago, HusseinAbbas said:

I would suggest that he installs ubuntu as it looks easy to use.

Ubuntu is incredible and the operating system I am using as I type this.

46 minutes ago, HusseinAbbas said:

But ill say it as it is, I've only just finished the 1rst course of cisco I have still 3 to go and I am less specialized on systems as in my college program we also study the hardware of computers and we have courses in electricity.

Very cool and all the luck my friend. You are smart for going Cisco. That beasty is everywhere.

4 hours ago, funklebits said:

Very cool and all the luck my friend. You are smart for going Cisco. That beasty is everywhere.

Good to know its one of the best  thats intresting.

11 hours ago, funklebits said:

Do you know about an anti virus for ubuntu? Since my father is old and common sense when it commes for the internet isn't something he is good at since he doesn't really use it, so the whole thing about ubuntu being secure wont do anything.

I've installed a free one but if you knew about a premium one that would be appreciated.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:50 PM, hasanhh said:

I see a cursor quite often. Then a while ago a site l linked to yesterday (Tuesday) or the day before from an S.C post came up with the cursor moving and then clicked something then faded from view.

Did you recently allow someone remote access to your computer? 

Anyway, I have spare licenses of Norton. Let me know if you would like to try it out. 

Please also uninstall most recently installed programs that you do not recognise.

1 hour ago, HusseinAbbas said:

Do you know about an anti virus for ubuntu? Since my father is old and common sense when it commes for the internet isn't something he is good at since he doesn't really use it, so the whole thing about ubuntu being secure wont do anything.

For anti-virus I prefer Sophos, both the free and paid version are pretty amazing and work well on Ubuntu. If you get the paid version it allows you to manage 5 devices (PC, Mobile or tablet). This will allow you, a good son who takes care of this father, to help remotely by being able to see whats happening and help him fix it.

I think Sophomight be a good paid solution

6 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Does this include Windows-Vista?

I this so? I found some info (link below) that may help you. 

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/security-news-trends/security-trends/vista.aspx

However, I can not encourage you enough to migrate away from that operating system. I am sorry yo say that it is end of life as of April 11, 2017. Meaning it will no longer get security updates or bug fixes.

If you are interested in finding something to replace it I would recommend a Linux distro such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, ZorinOS or Elementary (links to each below). The great thing about these operating systems are they are more secure than Windows and OSX (but still vulnerable) and you can make them look like the Windows Operating system you currently use. The other nice thing is they are all free.

Ubuntu

https://ubuntu.com/

Mint

https://linuxmint.com/

ZorinOS

https://zorinos.com/

Elementary

https://elementary.io/

Please find below a good website called Distro Watch

Distro Watch,

https://distrowatch.com/

If you want to go the shady route you can always torrent a cracked version of Windows 10.

Hope this helps.