Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Vindemiatrix

"Marry who you love, but don't marry your cousin" [WHY?]

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, AStruggler said:

As for cousin marriages done by the ahlul bayth, were any of these cousin marriages between FIRST cousins?

Yes, even by the Prophet. Zainab bt. Jahsh was his paternal cousin, his father's sister was the mother of Zainab. In later generations this was also practiced.

In addition, like a brother already expressed above, some scholars discourage it. For example, Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi discourages it if I'm not wrong (he has something about marriage on al-Islam.org, it should be written there).

I've myself heard him say on the mimbar that it is permitted though not necessary to do it in every generation when there are genetic diseases associated with it -- you can make of that as you will.

Can't say too much but maybe there are ways, conditions, and certain things that need to be understood first, before it comes to emulating the actions of the ahlul bayth and the holy personalities. For example, we know the Imams (a) did certain things in Taqiyyah, or because of the conditions of the time...

I'm not sure any scholar has ever identified cousin marriages to be among the things to Imams permitted under taqiyya.

1 hour ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

Yes, even by the Prophet. Zainab bt. Jahsh was his paternal cousin, his father's sister was the mother of Zainab. In later generations this was also practiced.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. 

I've myself heard him say on the mimbar that it is permitted though not necessary to do it in every generation when there are genetic diseases associated with it -- you can make of that as you will.

Yeah I wasn't sure about this that's why I said "if I'm not wrong", and later I commented on what I wrote here to correct/better it too.

I'm not sure any scholar has ever identified cousin marriages to be among the things to Imams permitted under taqiyya.

I never claimed cousin marriages were ever impermissible or that they were only permissible in certain conditions, nor did I make any direct association between cousin marriages of the Imams (a) and taqqiya in the first place. I brought up taqiyya simply to show how that the Imams (a) had to act in certain ways due to certain conditions of their time and the context they were living in...I expressed this as a possibility or idea too, not as a fact. Anyway, I can't comment much on this topic. This was just a thought/idea. 

3 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Maybe it has to do with akhlaq and religiousness the reason why they choose them and not because of family ties? 

Yes, this could definitely be a reason but then it only supports the argument that if your first cousin has excellent akhlaq and faith then risk of genetic complications is not a valid reason to refuse the proposal. 

7 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Islam is about ijtehad. You can't always compare today's time with what happened 14 centuries ago. We might as well marry women who are 9 years of age then. 

Islam is about ijtihad? 

With respect I think you've completely misunderstood what ijtihad is. Your example confirms this, because you can still marry a 9 year old baligh female today.

Ijtihad in simple terms is extracting Islamic laws from the Qur'an and the hadith. What was permissible during the time of our Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) remains permissible, and what was forbidden remains forbidden. 

If there are new topics for which rulings were not already existing then the faqih derives rulings for these topics (cloning, internet, factory slaughtered meat) based primarily on the Qur'an and hadith and where required supported through consensus and rationale.

36 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Ijtihad in simple terms is extracting Islamic laws from the Qur'an and the hadith.

I know.

I meant even mujtahids can use scientific evidence to derive Islamic law. There's a whole process. For example Nasser Makarem Shirazi has prohibited smoking? Why? Because of sufficient evidence that it's harmful.

The 9 year old example was a random reference I made, no need to look into it.

Guest Gross

People who want to push the narrative that marrying your first cousin is okay and blames scientific studies against the myriad of reasons why you should avoid doing so, are anti-science and don’t know much about “the west” to begin with.

There are millions of people out there in the world—marrying your first cousin is like marrying your brother. 

3 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I know.

I meant even mujtahids can use scientific evidence to derive Islamic law. There's a whole process. For example Nasser Makarem Shirazi has prohibited smoking? Why? Because of sufficient evidence that it's harmful.

The 9 year old example was a random reference I made, no need to look into it.

Smoking is a new topic which didn't have an existing ruling dating back to the early days of Islam. 

Useful piece of info from brother @Moalfas

كِفَايَة  ( اسم ): كَفَاءَة

ability ; adequacy ; capability ; capacity ; competence ; efficiency ; fitness ; suitability

From which these are derived:

غير كفوء ‏ [كيمياء] inefficient
كفوء [عامة] Efficient; Streamlined
كُفُوء [عامة] competent

https://www.almaany.com/ar/dict/ar-en/كفوء/

FYI @AStruggler @ali_fatheroforphans