Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
.InshAllah.

The problem with child marriage

Rate this topic

Yes there is a very strong impulse to judge everything that took place historically through a very contemporary lens.

There is little recognition that circumstances historically may have made the ethics/morals of a decision different then and moreover that we do not know what the future holds and that practices we don't find acceptable will reappear. I find this issue is particularly the case with something like slavery.

Guest Greta
3 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Yes there is a very strong impulse to judge everything that took place historically through a very contemporary lens.

There is little recognition that circumstances historically may have made the ethics/morals of a decision different then and moreover that we do not know what the future holds and that practices we don't find acceptable will reappear. I find this issue is particularly the case with something like slavery.

To be honest, I don't see a big issue with slavery , if it is done in a society where it is the norm, with regulations and good ethics.

A lot of the outrage these days is because it is now becoming more apparent there seems to be confusion whether or not females taken captive can be forced against their will into physical relations, molested, and sold to other men to do the same. One narration mentions that a woman was molested by an associate of a Muslim, he then proceeded to have physical intimacy with her - whether it was with her consent is not known - and his only punishment was paying 1/10th of her price.

Given Muhammed (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) came to perfect our morals, it does seem confusing that we are having debates whether it was acceptable to molest and force female captives (in those days) into physical relations without their approval.

This is what the confusion is about, and I argue that Islam does not condone this, and some traditions which permit molesting and forcing slaves against their will belong in the same category as the traditions stating the Earth rests on a whale, and promoting the same unscientific myths of the old societies. So I am between Sayed Ammar, and some of the more hard-line scholars. I don't want to be a cop out and throw it all out, but I cannot accept some of it on a moral standing. I just can't. 

9 hours ago, .InshAllah. said:

The Prophets marriage with Aysha is used by non-Muslims to attack Islam.  Lets assume that the famous opinion that she was 9 years old is correct.  I want to consider whether its morally problematic for us. ( yes its another Aysha marriage thread!!)

I can think of 2 possible reasons, one concerns the child in the relationship, and the second concerns the adult.

First the child: Child marriages are problematic because they harm the child. 

Whilst this is true today, I see no reason to think it was always true a thousand years ago.  Society was just too different.  There were no state funded schools with afterschool clubs, no university degrees, and no real job prospects for females.  I can see how marrying young could actually improve their lives rather than harm them - guarateed shelter and food, and the opportunity to raise a family early.  

The second reason concerns the adult: in order to want to marry a child you must be a pedophile. You must be sexually attracted to children. And thats wrong.

This is false.  People married for many reasons including bringing tribes together and forging new relationships.  Furthermore, you can have sexual relations with someone without being sexually attracted to them.  An example is countless homosexual men who married women and raised a family as it was socially unacceptable to be gay or remain single.  These gay men were mot sexually attracted to their wives.

As the above 2 reasons are the only ones I know of, I can happily conclude that the Prophets marriage with Aysha poses no moral problem whatsoever.

I agree with the points you’ve made here.

however, there is still controversy as to what age Ayesha actually did marry. Some say she was possibly in her teens there’s even some scholars who say she might have been in her twenties.

public activists like ayaan hirsi uses that against Muslims which is baseless cause history shows that it was a norm not only within Islam.

Their bodies were perhaps structured differently if you’re going to go back thousands of years ago humans eventually evolve. Maybe the women hit puberty early or fully gained maturity around that age. In their culture, a woman who would reach in their late teen years were considered old.