Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mohammadi_follower

Treatment of slaves in Islam

Rate this topic

Salam aleykoum,

I saw many discussion about slavery in shiachat but I think that would be great to do a topic in particular about the treatment of slaves according to Islam.

More exactly I would like to know if it is possible to understand what are the limits a Muslim master has toward his slave. Are there some orders he can’t ask to his slave ? Are there some behaviors he can’t do ?

If brother @Ibn al-Hussain in particular could help that would be great.

Guest Gret
3 hours ago, starlight said:

We definitely needed this.

What we need is to sweep this discussion under the rug, on an issue which Muslims have increasingly been challenged on thanks to ISIS and Yazidi slave girls, and continue the insignificant small talk and daily life blogging and scores of completely useless threads.

1 hour ago, Guest Gret said:

What we need is to sweep this discussion under the rug, on an issue which Muslims

No, no, please go ahead. All of us on ShiaChat and our slaves will definitely benefit from the discussion. 

Guest Gret
1 hour ago, starlight said:

No, no, please go ahead. All of us on ShiaChat and our slaves will definitely benefit from the discussion. 

You are far too intelligent to think it's as simple as that, but this was a funny response.

While we may not have slaves any longer, on that thread, there was open and public sharing of ahadith whereby the holy Imam is told by another man he let his associate touch his slave sexually, until she was (possibly?) raped by him. There is also wide scale promotion of the idea it was permissible to force yourself on a female captive, then sell her to others. 

This is degradation, molestation and rape. How could anyone think the Imam of all people would ever promote that you can allow your associates to molest a female captive, rape her, and proceed to do the same?

Our definition of rape aside, and whether consent exists in a marriage in Shariah, you had people claiming on that very thread that ISIS were only wrong because they invaded illegitimate lands. 

I have resorted to full on white-washing things when I am with non-Muslims, until we can get some sort of humane answer, because even Sayed Ammar's lecture, where he claims you cannot force yourself on a woman, molest her, sell her to your friends was refuted on here.

I deal with Atheists a lot, and most of them are regularly challenging me on this, and I mean regularly. I just pray they don't find these threads. 

5 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Why is there so much sarcasm in this thread?

:salam:

Well, from what I sense, it is not just primary sarcasm.

I would say that the thread does not raise the fondamental questions to the issue of slavery, like 'How were slaves traded back then and how does it differ from the slave trade we know ?' or 'Can possessing someone be a part of today's social shari'a ?', etc.

Instead, all this topic will bring is questions about having sex with them and hitting them. That's where the issue of 'limits' always leads.

Edited by realizm

Guest hi!Monad!

I am assuming you want narrations that state issues like so you can say how great life is.

3 meals a day, shelter, washroom and lunch breaks, clothing, safety wear, water, food. Some access to Shiachat.. days off to meet other slaves and play some games.

No partners though.

Probably discarded when old or given a retirement home, although that would only depend if the master himself has not gone broke. But by then the slave would have become a useless thinker and would stick to his master and make his master his lord. Thus the master would then lay claim how honorable his slave was.

Every week on this forum I see topics about slavery and people being shocked by this. 

I thought that was a good idea to end this by doing something where we explain finally how a slave is supposed to be treated according to Islam or not. If you want to let people being confused ajout slavery in Islam after all it is your choice. 

8 hours ago, Guest Gret said:

I just pray they don't find these threads. 

You see now why I wasn't happy about another slave thread? 

Why is everyone so focused on the topic of 'nonconsensual sex with slave girls?' 

People want to know how Islam treated slave girls? Go read about the life of Hazrat Fizzah (عليه السلام).

Look Islam reforms the hearts of people. It makes us decent and civilized human beings.  Just study the verses of the Qur'an and how many are to do with spirituality compared to Islamic laws? 

There is no excuse if we lack aklaq. A person who forcefully has sex with his slave (maybe even using physical force) is a horrible human being. Period. Human beings who have class and a decent character would never do this to start with. Don't bring ISIS up, they're bloodthirsty terrorists who enjoy chopping people's heads off. They torture women because they enjoy it and it's because they're messed up in the head.

These issues shouldn't weaken our faith. It'll all be clear when Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) arrives. Of course there will be confusion and people who try to misuse Islamic laws, just how people misuse mutah. Isn't that life? Everyone misuses laws to suit their own desires. 

3 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

I thought that was a good idea to end this by doing something where we explain finally how a slave is supposed to be treated according to Islam. 

It is a very good idea, brother.

I would like to quote a few verses of the Holy Qur'an but before I do that, in my reading of the biographies of our Masoomeen, I have come to believe that a slave must be treated as part of the family.   Which means

• He (or she) eats what everyone else in the family eats.,
  • He (or she) wears clothes that the rest of the family does
  • He (or she) has access to all facilities that the family does. This would include education, health care, personal dignity etc.

We all know about Zaid bin Haris, who had bonded with the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) after his marriage to Lady Khadija ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)).

I am not 100% sure how Zaid became a slave.

Presumably he was kidnapped and sold into slavery.

Be that as it may, at some point in time, his father tracked him down and came to see him.

Father and son must have been so happy to see each other.

But when Haris asked the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) if he would let his son go with him, the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) had no objections.

But Zaid said that he would not leave the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) under nay circumstances.

And the reason for this was that the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) had always treated him as a member of the family.

In short therefore, that is how we must treat a slave, whether male or female.

Sister Starlight has given the example of Lady Fizza.

Fizza was also treated so well that she would not leave the family, under any circumstances.

The fact that she was treated like family can also be seen in the fact apparently that she had full access to education, just like a family member.

Her  access to education enabled her tp master the Qur'an and she is known to have spoken frequently in the Quranic language.

So with those two examples, that is how we must treat slaves, regardless whether they are  prisoners of war or kidnapped by hughwaymen.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyway, here are a few verses in regard to slavery. (translations adapted from Yusuf Ali)

(4:25) If any of you does not have the means to wed free believing women, they may wed girls from among those your right hand possesses. And God has full knowledge about your faith. You are from one another. Wed them with permission from their owners, and give them dowers, according to what is reasonable. They should be chaste, not lustful, not taking paramours: when they are taken in wedlock. If they fall into shame, their punishment is half that of free women.  This permission is for those among you who fears sin, but it is better that you practise self-restraint. And God is Forgiving and Merciful.

(4:36) Serve God and join not any partners with Him. And be good to your parents, kinsfolk, orphans, the needy, neighbours who are near those those who are strangers, the companion by your side, your fellow-traveller and those your right hand possess. God does not love the arrogant, the vainglorious. 

(16:71) God has bestowed his gifts of sustenance more on some of you than on others. (Why would) those so favoured not share their sustenance with those sustenance with those whom your right hands posses, so that they are their equals. Will they deny God's favours.. 

(24:33) Let those who cannot afford to marry keep chaste, until God gives them the means by His grace. And if any of your slaves asks for a writ of freedom, give it to them, if you find them deserving. Also give them some of your wealth that God has given you. But do not force your maids to prostitution, in order to make some gains. But if they are forced, they will find God Forgiving and Merciful to them.

(30:28) He gives you an example from your own experience. Do you share your wealth that We have bestowed on you,  with those whom your right hands possess?  Do you fear them as you fear one another? Thus do We explain to people in order that they may understand.

(90:11-16) And he will not attempt to scale the uphill road. And do you know what that is? It is the freeing of a slave, giving food on a day of hunger to an orphan related to you, or a poor man lying in the dust.

The above should give you a good idea how we should treat slaves. 

90:12 deems the freeing of a slave as the better option. 

16:71 and 30:28 expect us to share our wealth with them so that they are equal to us in wealth

24:33 also requires that we set them free, if we think they can manage on their own. 

(4:25) permits marriage with slaves. But self-restraint is better, which seems to disapprove of sexual relations with them.

It is obvious from the above, that the best option is to free slaves and as long as we have them, we treat them well and give them part of our wealth, so that they are equal to us. 

Edited by baqar

...Once again we are incorrectly using Rasulullah (s) and the Ahlul Bayt (a) to generalize how slaves should be (or are allowed to be) treated. They had a higher standard for everything they did. This method ignores how most slaves would have been treated by the general Muslim population. This is a clear weak point if arguing with non-Muslims (arguing with non-Muslims is what most of you seem to be bringing up).

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

Salam,

For laws regarding slavery, you can check the brother's blog:

https://www.iqraonline.net/the-issue-of-slavery-in-contemporary-Islam/

You need to be a member in order to read the article. 

If you do end up registering and reading the article, I can assure you that it is not for the faint of heart.

Edited by Follower of Ahlulbayt

Guest Pschological Warfare
21 hours ago, Guest Gret said:

I deal with Atheists a lot, and most of them are regularly challenging me on this, and I mean regularly. I just pray they don't find these threads. 

What do Atheist have to do with Morality? 

Why are you not able to explain to them that without 'The God" your outlook on life is "Anything Goes". So, why are they interested in this? 

Wouldn't this be a waste of time for a non believer, and by chance entity, shouldn't they be productive according to their own religion of I am here by chance and gone by chance - and there is a 50% chance that I would not be here tomorrow- what do I have to do with anything else except my own life and pleasures , while I am here? To them every one and everyhting is their slave and they are the masters - I mean this is the crux of this matter - An Atheist is concerned about other by chance entities- Why? 

If  you get an answer that you are whitewashing the issue or putting it under a rug. Ask them, why are you a by chance entity concerned? Since there is no purpose of your life/existence, what is the point of asking purposeful questions- it is not been untrue to your creed ? 

On 12/11/2019 at 2:43 AM, Mohammadi_follower said:

I saw many discussion about slavery in shiachat but I think that would be great to do a topic in particular about the treatment of slaves according to Islam.

Human capital is always tied to economic activity. Today we call them "employees" or citizens- slaves of the "System" . All have one thing in common- your limits are defined by your Master. 

Back then, what you call a Slavery was a part of economic ecosystem. As such, it needed to be managed and reform(s) introduced. You can't eradicate something on a whim, if its is tied to the economic system.

Beyond that read the following and understand them, move one- this is one of the musical chair topics like the age of the wife, or treatment of women, or whatever the prevailing theme is that they want to pressure you one- that topic gets the chair and we the "Slaves " are asked by the Masters to give accountability. We need to get of out this Mental Slavery and we Maters of our own domain.

Or live in perpetual mental slavery. 

https://Qur'an.al-Islam.org/

The English translation (accompanied with original Arabic text) of the supremely eloquent sermons of the Commander of the Faithful, Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (peace be upon him). 

https://www.al-Islam.org/nahjul-balagha-part-1-sermons

The present book is an English translation of Sautu'l `Adalati'l Insaniyah, the biography of Imam Ali, written in Arabic by George Jordac, a renowned Christian author of Lebanon. 

https://www.al-Islam.org/voice-human-justice-sautul-adalatil-insaniyah-George-jordac

1 hour ago, Guest Pschological Warfare said:

What do Atheist have to do with Morality? 

Why are you not able to explain to them that without 'The God" your outlook on life is "Anything Goes". So, why are they interested in this? 

It is extremely unwise and ignorant to assume that the moral compass of atheists is determined by the concept of 'anything goes.' This implies that atheists are unable to grasp fundamental ethical concepts such as kindness, compassion, virtue, love, honesty, etc. only because they don't adhere to a religious deity. There are law-abiding atheists and there are thieves, terrorists, and rapists who supposedly adhere to Islam. Just putting this out there.

9 hours ago, confusedandannoyed said:

It is extremely unwise and ignorant to assume that the moral compass of atheists is determined by the concept of 'anything goes.' This implies that atheists are unable to grasp fundamental ethical concepts such as kindness, compassion, virtue, love, honesty, etc. only because they don't adhere to a religious deity. There are law-abiding atheists and there are thieves, terrorists, and rapists who supposedly adhere to Islam. Just putting this out there.

Any "good" atheists are simply confused and irrational. They believe in the survival of the fittest by any means necessary like animals and that humans are animals too, that's what their faith Darwinism tells them. Its devoid of virtues or morality so these should be equally irrelevant to an atheist as going to church on sundays. One of them could do that but why should he?

21 hours ago, confusedandannoyed said:

Let me clarify, we are discussing Ideology/Religion. 

Based on Ideology /Value System/ Religion in both cases above followers are not adhering to their own creed. I hope this makes it clear. 

------------------

However, you did not address the real question/concern- System/Ideology/religion which has at its core-  fundamental of religion of No God/No accountability/No Day of Judgement  leads to "Anything Goes" mentality/value system. No relationship has value or is safe or is anyone else except that by chance entity. Neo-Individualism does not have morality/ethics/love as its core values- Its "Me" and nothing else. Since its "I"-  who is the God here. "I" am a servant/slave to my desires. 

The "Why" question- why should one with such value system care?