Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sumerian

Islamists have lost popularity

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Some people say when the Arab Spring first happened, it was an "Islamic awakening", as parties like the Muslim Brotherhood gained more power and prominence in the Middle East.

But this "awakening" led to the rise of extremist terror groups as well - especially in the Syrian crisis - and it also highlighted the corruption of the Islamists and their failure to govern.

It would seem these two things 1) radicalism 2) corruption of Islamist parties has led to a region-wide backlash not just against Islamists, but sadly against religion itself. 

This is proof that the biggest danger to Islam is not a "liberal secularist", but it is the corrupt who hides behind the veil of Islam in order to steal and cause harm.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/12/05/arabs-are-losing-faith-in-religious-parties-and-leaders?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/dailychartarabsarelosingfaithinreligiouspartiesandleadersgraphicdetail

20191207_woc956.png

Edited by Sumerian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's narrated that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said 

بئس القلادة قلادة الدين 

The wretched necklace is the necklace of Deen. 

Shareh Ghurar AlHikam 3/256

The ones who've used faith to gain, maintain and abuse power and have literally worn Deen like a necklace to fool the masses as Imam Ali (عليه السلام) described, have done more damage to the faith than the 'outside enemy' since the beginning of the 'Arab spring'.

For the average Muslim who hasn't strengthened his/her Aqeeda, they see the actions of these corrupt as a reflection of Islam itself and run the opposite direction. These are exactly the trends we're seeing across our communities with agnosticism and secularism at unprecedented levels. 

 

Edited by Moalfas
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 7ssein said:

Why is Lebanon in all of the graphs except "Trust in Islamist parties"

Salam because all of chats  are negative charts not a positive ones that in Lebanon trust to Hizbullah as dominant Islamic party in Lebanon even between non Muslims  highly increased that this ruins all other charts so they replaced it with Jordan that doesn't has a popular Islamic party.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say two things about your publication.

First that depends what we mean by "islamists" because some people called equally Erdogan and Bagdadi as "islamists" while we could say that there are some little differences between these persons.

Secondly it is true that islamists had lost popularity in most of Arab countries (excepted maybe in Yemen and Lebanon) but it looks to be quite the opposite in some Muslim countries like in the Sahel or in Afghanistan.

Anyway I am not so surprised to see such statistics about Arab countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

I would say two things about your publication.

First that depends what we mean by "islamists" because some people called equally Erdogan and Bagdadi as "islamists" while we could say that there are some little differences between these persons.

They are both Islamists, but one is more radical than the other. Either way, the region is coming to reject all forms of Islamism.

5 minutes ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Secondly it is true that islamists had lost popularity in most of Arab countries (excepted maybe in Yemen and Lebanon) but it looks to be quite the opposite in some Muslim countries like in the Sahel or in Afghanistan.

I wouldn't know about Lebanon, there is really only one major Islamist party, and they represent only one sect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sumerian said:

They are both Islamists, but one is more radical than the other. Either way, the region is coming to reject all forms of Islamism.

 

By definition Islam is mixed with politics so islamism= Islam. As for the region rejecting "islamism" I would say that depend for each country.

 

2 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

 

I wouldn't know about Lebanon, there is really only one major Islamist party, and they represent only one sect. 

That's true but even if protests in Lebanon are ongoing I don’t see Hezbollah becoming weak soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not blame people for loosing faith in Islamist's who blow them selves and others up. The brands of Islamism that has been spearheaded by Salafi/wahabi/takfiri ideology has made a mockery of a beautiful religion. Before the Syrian conflict Salafi/Wahabi ideology was heavily influencing mainstream Sunni way of thinking. Hopefully not so much any more. I wouldn't be surprised if the Western/Saudi support for the most extreme and sectarian branches of Islam is a deliberate act designed to tarnish the entire religion it self.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Revert1963 said:

I would not blame people for loosing faith in Islamist's who blow them selves and others up.

Add to that, islamists who loot and suck the blood of a country whilst hiding behind the guise of an 'Islamic political party' supported and by a 'Islamic' political system.. 

 

10 hours ago, Revert1963 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Western/Saudi support for the most extreme and sectarian branches of Islam is a deliberate act designed to tarnish the entire religion it self.
 

Absolutely plausible. But what about the corrupt 'Shia' politicians backed by 'Shia' political systems? They also share the responsibility in tarnishing (Shia Islam specifically) do they not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, Sumerian said:

I wouldn't know about Lebanon, there is really only one major Islamist party, and they represent only one sect. 

Amal which predates Hezb is also represented in parliament. They are more associated with siyasah than Hezb if anything, the latter primarily being a social movement above all else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Amal which predates Hezb is also represented in parliament. They are more associated with siyasah than Hezb if anything, the latter primarily being a social movement above all else.

I wouldn't really call Amal an "Islamist" party, they are Shi'a but they call for secularism, unlike Hezbollah which has officially called for Islamism in the past and follow wilayat al-faqih.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...