Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest anon

Spiritual Ascension Mentor -

Rate this topic

Guest anon

Salam Everyone, 

Tabatabai's Book - Light within me: https://www.al-Islam.org/light-within-me-mutahhari-tabatabai-Khomeini/part-2-2-twelve-worlds-allamah-tabatabai

In it he highlights the different levels of ascension one can attain through discipline, detachment of all materialistic things, meditation on the names of God and complete tawakuul, taqwa and much much more. Living in the west this is tougher to achieve given the strict Islamic code that must be followed 100% while keeping your head down from all things and being patient. Alhamdilluah I've managed to go up through a few levels which produced profound results which I cannot describe on this post but you can read the book further to understand what happened and what was needed of the 25 disciplines to tackle in order to reach ascension in this other chapter (https://www.al-Islam.org/light-within-me-mutahhari-tabatabai-Khomeini/part-2-3-rules-attaining-spiritual-perfection-allamah-tabatabai). 

My problem is that I cannot maintain one of the levels I reach long enough without the light fading due to one of my slips or perhaps ignorance on my part with regards to certain matters and thoughts since the book doesn't have specific ways to tackle issues in the West as opposed to Middle East audiences.

Tabatabai states in the beginning that it is extremely important to have a spiritual mentor who has gone through most of the levels and reached complete and utter detachment from all worldy things where his spirit has conquered the main stages and is in the realm of souls having conquered all base desires, meditated on the names and attributes of God and starts to have visions. Does anybody know of such as person in the West (Europe) who has achieved a state and stayed consistent?

Wasalam,

Eager Irfan Devouty

17 hours ago, Guest anon said:

Salam Everyone, 

Tabatabai's Book - Light within me: https://www.al-Islam.org/light-within-me-mutahhari-tabatabai-Khomeini/part-2-2-twelve-worlds-allamah-tabatabai

In it he highlights the different levels of ascension one can attain through discipline, detachment of all materialistic things, meditation on the names of God and complete tawakuul, taqwa and much much more. Living in the west this is tougher to achieve given the strict Islamic code that must be followed 100% while keeping your head down from all things and being patient. Alhamdilluah I've managed to go up through a few levels which produced profound results which I cannot describe on this post but you can read the book further to understand what happened and what was needed of the 25 disciplines to tackle in order to reach ascension in this other chapter (https://www.al-Islam.org/light-within-me-mutahhari-tabatabai-Khomeini/part-2-3-rules-attaining-spiritual-perfection-allamah-tabatabai). 

My problem is that I cannot maintain one of the levels I reach long enough without the light fading due to one of my slips or perhaps ignorance on my part with regards to certain matters and thoughts since the book doesn't have specific ways to tackle issues in the West as opposed to Middle East audiences.

Tabatabai states in the beginning that it is extremely important to have a spiritual mentor who has gone through most of the levels and reached complete and utter detachment from all worldy things where his spirit has conquered the main stages and is in the realm of souls having conquered all base desires, meditated on the names and attributes of God and starts to have visions. Does anybody know of such as person in the West (Europe) who has achieved a state and stayed consistent?

Wasalam,

Eager Irfan Devouty

Perhaps it might be helpful to you if you don’t see this “journey” as “a journey” or a “ladder”.  

On 12/4/2019 at 3:51 PM, Guest anon said:

Salam Everyone, 

Wasalam,

Eager Irfan Devouty

Irfan is something very simple and ordinary.  It is for dumb people.  

Isn't Islam supposed to be about the middle path, however “straight and narrow,” rather than asceticism? Yet we find the following:

Now then, Allah the Glorified, the Sublime, created (the things of) creation. He created them without any need for their obedience or being safe from their sinning, because the sin of anyone who sins does not harm Him nor does the obedience of anyone who obeys Him benefit Him.

If any one looks at them he believes they are sick, although they are not sick, and he says that they have gone mad. In fact, great concern (I.e., fear) has made them mad.

They are not satisfied with their meagre good acts, and do not regard their major acts as great. They always blame themselves and are afraid of their deeds. When anyone of them is spoken of highly, he says: "I know myself better than others, and my Lord knows me better than I know. O' Allah do not deal with me according to what they say, and make me better than they think of me and forgive me (those shortcomings) which they do not know."

The peculiarity of anyone of them is that you will see that he has strength in religion, determination along with leniency, faith with conviction, eagerness in (seeking) knowledge in forbearance, moderation in riches, devotion in worship, gracefulness in starvation, endurance in hardship, desire for the lawful, pleasure in guidance and hatred from greed. He performs virtuous deeds but still feels afraid. …

The coolness of his eye lies in what is to last for ever, while from the things (of this world) that will not last he keeps aloof. He transfuses knowledge with forbearance, and speech with action. …

If he is silent his silence does not grieve him, if he laughs he does not raise his voice, and if he is wronged he endures till Allah takes revenge on his behalf. His own self is in distress because of him, while the people are in ease from him. He puts himself in hardship for the sake of his next life, and makes people feel safe from himself. His keeping away from others is by way of asceticism and purification, and his nearness to those to whom he is near is by way of leniency and mercifulness. His keeping away is not by way of vanity or feeling of greatness, nor his nearness by way of deceit and cheating.

7 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

It is for dumb people.  

كلّ إناءٍ بالذي فيه ينضحُ

Every vessel will exude its contents 

46 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

كلّ إناءٍ بالذي فيه ينضحُ

Every vessel will exude its contents 

Imam Ja'far Sadiq (عليه السلام) said: "Our partisans (Shi'ah) are dumb."

Edited by eThErEaL

Lol source??

42 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Lol source??

https://www.al-Islam.org/light-within-me-mutahhari-tabatabai-Khomeini/part-2-3-rules-attaining-spiritual-perfection-allamah-tabatabai

you know that link the OP gave to the book under discussion?  Well, I actually read through it.  You might want to as well.

But if you are lazy, simply search for the word “dumb” and you will come across that Hadith.

Edited by eThErEaL

1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

Imam Ja'far Sadiq (عليه السلام) said: "Our partisans (Shi'ah) are dumb."

Dumb here = silence. Not talking excessively,not reduced intellect dumb.

Relative silence means to refrain from talking to people in excess to what is absolutely required. This kind of silence is necessary for the spiritual traveler at every stage. It is commendable for others also. Imam Ja'far Sadiq referred to this kind of silence when he said: "Our partisans (Shi'ah) are dumb." A report is mentioned in the Misbahush Shari'ah according to which Imam Ja'far Sadiq has said: "Silence is the way of the lovers of Allah because Allah likes it. It is the style of the Prophets and the habit of the chosen people."

Edited by starlight

1 hour ago, starlight said:

Dumb here = silence. Not talking excessively,not reduced intellect dumb.

You are absolutely correct. 

I found the said narration mentioned in Mikyalul Makarim Fi Fawa'id ad-Dua Lil Qa'im vol.2 by Sayed Mohammed Taqi Musawi Isfahani 

It's translated as mute, not 'dumb'.

IMG_0437.jpg

Also, went back to the source @ Al Kafi vol 2 page 113 (Arabic) and sure enough the word is الخُرس

"إنَّما شيعتنا الخُرس'

Which is 'the mute'.

Edited by Moalfas

1 hour ago, Moalfas said:

Also, went back to the source @ Al Kafi vol 2 page 113 (Arabic) and sure enough the word is الخُرس

"إنَّما شيعتنا الخُرس'

Which is 'the mute'.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Moalfas said:

You are absolutely correct. 

I found the said narration mentioned in Mikyalul Makarim Fi Fawa'id ad-Dua Lil Qa'im vol.2 by Sayed Mohammed Taqi Musawi Isfahani 

It's translated as mute, not 'dumb'.

IMG_0437.jpg

Thanks for the correction.  My apologies.  
indeed it does mean being few of words.  
I was thinking of another Hadith that mention that “only the fools shall inhabit paradise”....   

In any case.  Sorry.  :)

someone once told me that if you are sincere enough, the walls will be your mentor... 

there is a scene in the Prophet Yusuf series, where he is in prison and accidentally asks one of the prisoners being freed to ask the King about him... he instantly realizes his mistake, he says when I knew a much more Qadir King, why did I not turn to Him?

finally, dreams can be your source of guidcance, and that Knowledge is not limited to matter, time or space. It's not the sound waves or these words which teach you, or is it?

19 minutes ago, khamosh21 said:

someone once told me that if you are sincere enough, the walls will be your mentor... 

there is a scene in the Prophet Yusuf series, where he is in prison and accidentally asks one of the prisoners being freed to ask the King about him... he instantly realizes his mistake, he says when I knew a much more Qadir King, why did I not turn to Him?

finally, dreams can be your source of guidcance, and that Knowledge is not limited to matter, time or space. It's not the sound waves or these words which teach you, or is it?

Anyone can be ones teacher, true.  
But can anyone be taught?  

One has to be ready to be taught by the teacher that is right for him or her.  What is the seeker after at the end of the day?  Is he or she after Spiritual Ascension?  Climbing a spiritual “Ladders”?  Going into Higher and higher “Realms”?  

Irfan is really something super-ordinary.  It is plain.  It is like nothing.  One doesn’t need knowledge to be an Arif, rather one needs to have less confidence in his or her already acquired knowledge (he or she needs to know how much he/she does not know—-  this is what I meant by dumb or a fool.  Paradoxically this is a sign of someone with a. Superior intellect.  One is the most intellectual the more one realizes how dumb he or she is.  

10 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Irfan is really something super-ordinary.  It is plain.  It is like nothing.  One doesn’t need knowledge to be an Arif, rather one needs to have less confidence in his or her already acquired knowledge (he or she needs to know how much he/she does not know—-  this is what I meant by dumb or a fool.  Paradoxically this is a sign of someone with a. Superior intellect.  One is the most intellectual the more one realizes how dumb he or she is.  

Is that right statement? Spiritual knowledge is not needed?

Knowledge can be intellectual (aquired) or spiritual knowledge.

The knowledge that our Prophet (عليه السلام) and Imams (عليه السلام) had consist of both types.

Adam (عليه السلام) was given knowledge (spiritually) and Angels have to make prostration. His intellectual knowledge failed him, and ate the fruit.  But he repented.

The only thing about spiritual knowledge, it descent from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  and by His permission.

We live in this world...we need both knowledge to survive.  We need to acquire knowledge to make clothes  otherwise we are naked.  We need spiritual knowledge, otherwise we will in knowing our Rabb.

An Arif knows both knowledge.

Edited by layman

On 12/7/2019 at 2:11 AM, layman said:

Is that right statement? Spiritual knowledge is not needed?

Knowledge can be intellectual (aquired) or spiritual knowledge.

The knowledge that our Prophet (عليه السلام) and Imams (عليه السلام) had consist of both types.

Adam (عليه السلام) was given knowledge (spiritually) and Angels have to make prostration. His intellectual knowledge failed him, and ate the fruit.  But he repented.

The only thing about spiritual knowledge, it descent from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  and by His permission.

We live in this world...we need both knowledge to survive.  We need to acquire knowledge to make clothes  otherwise we are naked.  We need spiritual knowledge, otherwise we will in knowing our Rabb.

An Arif knows both knowledge.

Alright.  

I am assuming one is going to acquire the knowledge needed to live in this world regardless of what anyone says.  No one I know, at least those that live in the West, have to be told about the importance of acquiring the knowledge that would help one earn their living.  This is something that our society has brought us up to do sufficiently well. 

By the way, You often times accuse me of being too much involved in spirituality while compromising this wordly and practical everyday life.  I don’t understand why you accuse me of this, except that maybe you have been taught to do so.  I remember that I was once taught while growing up that Sufis neglect this world and devout themselves entirely to the spiritual life.  I am not calling myself a Sufi but I think I might see where your criticisms come from.  There are many kinds of people who bear the name “Sufi”.  

if you call me a Sufi, I have no problem with this, I don’t care what you call me, whether I am Shia, Sufi, Sunni, or Garbage.  The labels are not so important.

but about myself, I am a very practical guy, I run a full time business and I am involved a lot of volunteer work, I mingle and participate a lot with people at my local Shia Mosque and my local Sunni mosque.  

Edited by eThErEaL

57 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

By the way, You often times accuse me of being too much involved in spirituality while compromising this wordy practical word.  I don’t understand why you accuse me of this, expect that you have been taught to do so.  I remember that I was once taught while growing up that Sufis neglect this world and devout themselves entirely to the other world.  I am not calling myself a Sufi but I think I might see where your criticisms come from.  There are many kinds of people who bear the name “Sufi”.  

if you call me a Sufi, I have no problem with this, I don’t care what you call me, whether I am Shia, Sufi, Sunni, or Garbage.  The labels are not so important.

but about myself, I am a very practical guy, I run a full time business and I am involved a lot of volunteer work, I mingle and participate a lot with people at my local Shia Mosque and my local Sunni mosque.  

I don't accuse you.  I am just responding to statements made by you.  Your statements revealed who you are.  

If I make a statement such as " I don't know but I know", it will confuse the public.  I shall not confuse the public.

2 hours ago, layman said:

I don't accuse you.  I am just responding to statements made by you.  Your statements revealed who you are.  

If I make a statement such as " I don't know but I know", it will confuse the public.  I shall not confuse the public.

Even I don’t know who I am.

how can you know who I am.

Edited by eThErEaL

35 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Even I don’t know who I am.

how can you know who I am.

There is a hadith...

الإمام علي (عليه السلام): من عرف نفسه فقد عرف ربه

One who knows his self knows His Lord.

That will summarize who you are. 

Edited by layman

9 hours ago, layman said:

There is a hadith...

الإمام علي (عليه السلام): من عرف نفسه فقد عرف ربه

One who knows his self knows His Lord.

That will summarize who you are. 

And who is that?

do you k ow who you are?

Edited by eThErEaL

Why do some people have to hijack and derail interesting discussions they have no interest in or relevance with and admittedly find "dumb"?............................................................

1 hour ago, The Green Knight said:

Why do some people have to hijack and derail interesting discussions they have no interest in or relevance with and admittedly find "dumb"?............................................................

Knowing the Self is dumb and off topic?

Edited by eThErEaL

7 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

And who is that?

do you k ow who you are?

An Arab asked the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))...teach me a doa.

The Prophet said .." say to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) ..Anta Rabbi wa anna abdikka"..

"Say to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)..'you are the Rabb and I am your slave".

No explanation needed.

13 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

do you k ow who you are?

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) says in Dua Kumayl… who we are:

يَا سَيِّدِي فَكَيْفَ بِي

O Master, so what about me?!

وَأَنَا عَبْدُكَ الضَّعِيفُ الذَّلِيلُ الْحَقِيرُ الْمِسْكِينُ الْمُسْتَكِينُ

For I am Your weak, lowly, base, wretched and miserable slave.

@eThErEaL claimed he doesn't know himself, therefore he doesn't know his RABB. 

We are just slave of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  Whether we know or not, all humans are slaves of God.  That is best way to explain about our self.

Edited by layman

1 hour ago, layman said:

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) says in Dua Kumayl… who we are:

يَا سَيِّدِي فَكَيْفَ بِي

O Master, so what about me?!

وَأَنَا عَبْدُكَ الضَّعِيفُ الذَّلِيلُ الْحَقِيرُ الْمِسْكِينُ الْمُسْتَكِينُ

For I am Your weak, lowly, base, wretched and miserable slave.

@eThErEaL claimed he doesn't know himself, therefore he doesn't know his RABB. 

We are just slave of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  Whether we know or not, all humans are slaves of God.  That is best way to explain about our self.

So, do you see yourself to be a slave of God?  

5 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

So, do you see yourself to be a slave of God?  

If the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) regarded himself as slave of God, and if we acknowledged in syahadat he is our Prophet, then we have to accept his footstep and acknowledge that we are slaves of God.

I trust my Prophet(عليه السلام) and Imams (عليه السلام).

3 hours ago, layman said:

If the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) regarded himself as slave of God, and if we acknowledged in syahadat he is our Prophet, then we have to accept his footstep and acknowledge that we are slaves of God.

I trust my Prophet(عليه السلام) and Imams (عليه السلام).

So it isn’t coming from your heart.  It is simply reiteration.  

who is worse, one who doesn’t know that he doesn’t know or one who knows that he doesn’t know?  

8 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

So it isn’t coming from your heart.  It is simply reiteration.  

who is worse, one who doesn’t know that he doesn’t know or one who knows that he doesn’t know?  

The above statement and assumption is from a person knows nothing about himself and his Rabb.  

When the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) says a truth (and it is from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)).  You believe in it and you convey it to others (to those who want to listen).  Telling a truth to others doesn't means he is blind about the truth.

Guest Cantremember

I wish people would stop all this irfan stuff. I don’t know if people think they’ll be flying on some magic carpet! Let go of the word ‘irfan’ or wanting to attain ‘levels’. Simply put its your level of God-consciousness. Learn your jurisprudence properly, adhere to the rules, stick to your wajibats properly, prayer fasting etc. reduce food intake, make sure your income is halal. Pray salatul layl. Recite salawat often. Get closer to the words of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) through reciting and reflecting on Qur'an often.  Search on youtube Sheikh Azhar’s lecture on the wayfarer. He documents steps about building your spirituality pretty well. The best mentors is the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام). Stick to what they said and you will reach your potential. Be mindful that your ‘level’ of spirituality will fluctuate and that is very normal. The real struggle is also to kill the ego; the more closer you think you are getting to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) the more the thoughts ‘look at me I’m praying on time so I must be better than so so’ type thoughts come in to your mind, those are the very thoughts that you need to be aware of and do something about. In everything you do from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep how busy are you in the remembrance of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)? Only you can answer that question as that will determine your God-consciousness - and you don’t need any human mentor for that. Also remember a person with more God-consciousness doesn’t forget about others in this world - the rights of others, bringing people closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), easing the pains and tribulations of their brothers and sisters and indeed humanity - God-consciousness is not about the ‘I’. Seek knowledge, teach knowledge and do good in the way of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

54 minutes ago, layman said:

The above statement and assumption is from a person knows nothing about himself and his Rabb.  

When the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) says a truth (and it is from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)).  You believe in it and you convey it to others (to those who want to listen).  Telling a truth to others doesn't means he is blind about the truth.

One should not believe in it and then convey it.  Rather, one has to BE It and this itself is a manifestation of the Truth without any need or effort to “convey” it.  This is the difference between hypocrisy and sincerity.  

2 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

One should not believe in it and then convey it.  Rather, one has to BE It and this itself is a manifestation of the Truth without any need or effort to “convey” it.  This is the difference between hypocrisy and sincerity.  

Even the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) has to convey/deliver the truth... and took effort to do it.

[Shakir 5:67] O Messenger! deliver what bas been revealed to you from your Lord; and if you do it not, then you have not delivered His message, and Allah will protect you from the people; surely Allah will not guide the unbelieving people.

Deliver/convey the truth is the job of a Believer.  Whether others want to understand it, that is their problem.

Summary:

1. You don't even know your ownself. 

2. Assume other just reiteration or blind followers.

3. Cannot even convey the truth to others.

Certainly, you don't live on the lower Earth.  You parked yourself somewhere up there (eventhough your physical body is on Earth) that you think we might not know.  Parking your so-called heart in the realm of God, that you see nothing but Him...and you may thing others don't understand and has not reach that stage.

Just be careful, Iblis has reached that level too and will not accept to follow commands of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to submit to Adam(عليه السلام).  Iblis (عليه السلام) wanted to melt his existence to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) alone and directly.  No reference to Adam (عليه السلام).  He turned into syaitan.

The sincere followers of Ahlulbayts will not reveal openly to the public about true spirituality that exist in their heart to others, except by permission.  

Ayatollah Noori Hamedani:

Promoting exercise spirit to cure many illnesses

https://en.abna24.com/news//promoting-exercise-spirit-to-cure-many-illnesses_992819.html

December 10, 2019 - 3:11 PM News Code : 992819 Source : RasaLink: 

Promoting exercise spirit to cure many illnesses

In a meeting with the pres. of Qom medical university, Ayatollah Noori Hamedani emphasized on the importance of the prevention of illnesses.

Ahlul Bayt News Agency (ABNA): 

“In Hadithes there are many appreciations for the Medicine job” Ayatollah Noori Hamedani said in a meeting with the pres. of Qom medical university.

“in Islamic viewpoint Jurisprudence and the Medicine are of high significance among sciences. In every field the person’s intention is important and if one perform his/her actions for Allah’s satisfaction they will be beneficial, but if just the mundane aspect be in consideration, the value of action will be low”, he added.

Noting to the effect of the exercise on curing the illnesses, Ayatollah Hamedani said, “If the spirit of the exercise promoted in the society, many of the illnesses will be wiped out and if the exercise publicized, half of the physician visiting will be decreased.”

Ayatollah noori Hamedani concluded, “Islam has considered every aspects of the heman life and it has important prescription for human health which all physicians should consider.”

10 hours ago, layman said:

Even the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) has to convey/deliver the truth... and took effort to do it.

[Shakir 5:67] O Messenger! deliver what bas been revealed to you from your Lord; and if you do it not, then you have not delivered His message, and Allah will protect you from the people; surely Allah will not guide the unbelieving people.

Deliver/convey the truth is the job of a Believer.  Whether others want to understand it, that is their problem.

Summary:

1. You don't even know your ownself. 

2. Assume other just reiteration or blind followers.

3. Cannot even convey the truth to others.

Certainly, you don't live on the lower Earth.  You parked yourself somewhere up there (eventhough your physical body is on Earth) that you think we might not know.  Parking your so-called heart in the realm of God, that you see nothing but Him...and you may thing others don't understand and has not reach that stage.

Just be careful, Iblis has reached that level too and will not accept to follow commands of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to submit to Adam(عليه السلام).  Iblis (عليه السلام) wanted to melt his existence to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) alone and directly.  No reference to Adam (عليه السلام).  He turned into syaitan.

The sincere followers of Ahlulbayts will not reveal openly to the public about true spirituality that exist in their heart to others, except by permission.  

I find this very flattering.  Lol

unfortunately we intended to talk about knowing the Self and now here we are talking about ourselves.  Lol

Edited by eThErEaL