Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Kaya

Netflix 'Messiah' Series

Rate this topic

It draws parallels with the concept of the messiah generally as different faiths and schools of thought identify the messiah differently. 

The narrative appears to question whether he's a divine being or a just a good con artist. They obviously had to add the 'Israeli intel officer' to the plot who will probably 'save the day' along side the Americans lol 

It's a clever idea, with clever timing and poisonous propaganda.

Even though we have narrations of fakes claiming to be the messiah, I believe this could be an attempt to discredit the whole concept. 

Edit: it appears they're focusing on 'Al Masih' rather than the Imam ajf but still targeting the whole concept.

Edited by Moalfas

15 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Edit: it appears they're focusing on 'Al Masih' rather than the Imam ajf but still targeting the whole concept

The name of the actor playing the Messiah character is apparently Mehdi... 

Plus, it's interesting to note they chose a Middle Eastern guy to play the role. 

The narrative is 'He comes out of Syria, sent by his father, doing God's work'...

Twitter users are suggesting the character is based on the #Dajjal which is apparently trending! 

4 hours ago, Kaya said:

Do you guys notice any parallels of this with Imam Mahdi (atj)? Or any other thoughts about this? Positive or negative influence?

I was expecting to see a one eyed dude 

I think it gives a sketchy example of what we would expect to happen when dajjal or Imam Mahdi (ajf) comes. I don’t know if the show intends to depict Jesus or Antichrist, but based on the trailer he seems like the dajjal because who is his father? The messiah never had one.

this show gives both positive and negative influence. Positive because we know what’s about to come. It kinda raises awareness because I heard that one of the signs before dajjal’s appearance is that people will stop mentioning his name. But it can be negative too. This is mainly due to the character being presented as someone who is trying to help people so they’re also misrepresenting. It can possibly influence young Muslims into thinking that the antichrist is somewhat good. So it can be problematic.

I don’t think it should be considered a big deal. It’s just a series and they did the exact same thing where they spread controversy with this other show called Lucifer because it depicts the Devil and how he controls hellfire. 

Looks like a good show. I'll probably check it out.

Suspense, explosions for the male viewers, an attractive male for the female viewers. And in the end I'm sure they won't give a clear answer to who he is. They will just leave you hanging in suspense so that you can decide to view him however you wish to.

Edited by iCenozoic

to be honest everyone is already boycotting it but idc I’m just going to watch it. But what’s more important is: do we Shias believe in the monster dajjal or just the system? Like will there actually be a one eyed dude with kafir on his forehead or is that al-sufyani? 

The one part where the man says "he saved my daughter" reminds me of the book of Mark.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+5%3A21-43&version=NIV

Now they just need him to break a single loaf of bread for 5000 people and they'd be spot on.

2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Nah another nonsense series which has a hidden message. 

Since the Islamic Republic of Iran is always talking about preparing for Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام), it's clearly sparked the curiosity of many people in the world. Israel and major powers of this world know the strength of Hezbollah etc. They know how much Shias are even willing to give away their lives in serving the Imam (عليه السلام) of their time. It's an attempt to discredit this whole concept and place doubts in people's heads. 

Observe the timing and why did they show the man to be of an Arab origin? 

I used to think that way before, but then I realized how complex everything is and it was better to stay as political quietism, and not take any sides to any political groups, the way how Sistani and others have stayed. By preparing for Imam Mehdi (عليه السلام), that is best to purify the self and socially being justice to God creations.

Edited by Abu Nur

5 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

I used to think that way before, but then I realized how complex everything is and it was better to stay as political quietism, and not take any sides to any political groups, the way how Sistani and others have stayed. By preparing for Imam Mehdi (عليه السلام), that is best to purify the self and socially being justice to God creations.

And how do you prepare for the Imam exactly?

On 12/5/2019 at 4:45 AM, Abu Nur said:

Yes, being justice is essential.

Not sure if I understood you correctly, do you mean to say "by being just"?

I assume thats what you meant.

Then that makes me want to ask: how are you just without taking a stance against that which is batil? Wouldnt being just manifest in actions that are just, such as standing up against injustice, I.e. taking a stance against that which is batil?

On 12/5/2019 at 4:49 AM, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Not sure if I understood you correctly, do you mean to say "by being just"?

I assume thats what you meant.

Then that makes me want to ask: how are you just without taking a stance against that which is batil? Wouldnt being just manifest in actions that are just, such as standing up against injustice, I.e. taking a stance against that which is batil?

Just because I take a stance ageinst batil, that just not mean I am taking any political sides. By my intention and action I can stand ageinst batil. 

On 12/5/2019 at 5:09 AM, Abu Nur said:

Just because I take a stance ageinst batil, that just not mean I am taking any political sides. By my intention and action I can stand ageinst batil. 

Taking a stance against batil can sometimes mean to get politcally involved.

Talking about "politcal quietism" can very easily slip into pacifism. For example: I talked to a very popular sheikh in Najaf when I was there and he said that we should be like quiet bees during the time of the Imams occulations and not get involved in anything, he also said we should not do amr bil maroof wa nahi anil munkar and that only an infallible has the right to do so. I disagreed with him as I do not believe that Islam is a private religion that is contained within the four walls of your house but a system for the entire humanity, which involves the society in which you live in. I believe that preparing for the Imam(ajf) is more than just working on oneself (although it is a must), its to also prepare the society for his return which includes performing amr bil maroof wa nahi nail munkar.

33 minutes ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Taking a stance against batil can sometimes mean to get politcally involved.

Talking about "politcal quietism" can very easily slip into pacifism. For example: I talked to a very popular sheikh in Najaf when I was there and he said that we should be like quiet bees during the time of the Imams occulations and not get involved in anything, he also said we should not do amr bil maroof wa nahi anil munkar and that only an infallible has the right to do so. I disagreed with him as I do not believe that Islam is a private religion that is contained within the four walls of your house but a system for the entire humanity, which involves the society in which you live in. I believe that preparing for the Imam(ajf) is more than just working on oneself (although it is a must), its to also prepare the society for his return which includes performing amr bil maroof wa nahi nail munkar.

Most of the students in hawza of Najaf have taking similar positions about the political quatisim. But about the amr bil maroof wa nahi anil munkar, that is an essential for all believers and it is mentioned in Qur'an. But I disagree that we need sometimes involve to politics, because we don't. I don't want to belong to any groups who highly possible can do injustice act, because they are fallible. We have narration that supporting such a groups even when they do injustice, you are also involved to such injustice. I don't trust our scholars who are involved to politics to do always justice.

Depending on how this plays out, if the Middle Eastern character is a villain or not, this could be the perfect example of orientalism. Put a Middle Eastern guy and discredit him so that when the true Messaiah comes everyone would be averted to the idea that he’d be Middle Eastern. 

Look at how the use the Arabic accent to produce a character who’ll probably be the villain.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:59 PM, Kaya said:

Do you guys notice any parallels of this with Imam Mahdi (atj)? Or any other thoughts about this? Positive or negative influence?

Just to create misconceptions so that people should question when Imam Mehdi (عليه السلام) arrives. It appears from this that they are undoubtedly afraid of Imam Mehdi (عليه السلام) and Hazrat Esa (عليه السلام). It is said that when Dajjal will see Hazrat Esa (عليه السلام), he will melt like salt in the water. 

13 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

Just to create misconceptions so that people should question when Imam Mehdi (عليه السلام) arrives.

I agree. It's hard to imagine the plot as anything other than the Messiah being fake and the Americans being the hero that saves the day. And as such, it will program the masses to doubt even further the idea of a real Mahdi being possible. 

35 minutes ago, Kaya said:

I agree. It's hard to imagine the plot as anything other than the Messiah being fake and the Americans being the hero that saves the day. And as such, it will program the masses to doubt even further the idea of a real Mahdi being possible. 

Yeah, but Imam Mehdi (عليه السلام) would not stay silent and would make things clear to them and everything will make sense to them. He will not be like ISIS to show people heaven for a death which does not make good. He will speak about meaning of life and making world as heaven before Judgement day. Imam Mehdi (عليه السلام) will make their heads spin with divine authority. These people think that he would be ordinary but he is special.

On a different note, a feature that stood out to me from the trailer was the notion of a dark-skinned Arab being either the Messiah/anti-Messiah. 

It'd be annoying if this ends up being a white saviour story like people have suggested in this thread, because on the flip side, there's potential for this to help contradict the false notion of a white, Spanish Jesus' second coming.

9 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Most of the students in hawza of Najaf have taking similar positions about the political quatisim.

The Najaf hawza might not be in a context where it can engage in politics as openly as its Qom counterpart, but you'd be foolish to try to pretend that Iraqi politics isn't dominated by Shi'I political parties that are deeply connected to the clergy.

It's the same reason Hezbollah and Amal are so strong on the Lebanese electoral scene -- a separation between mosque and state might work on paper, but you can't stop religious people from voting for religious parties that want to enforce religious morality.

Edited by Don'tMakeAس

47 minutes ago, Don'tMakeAس said:

The Najaf hawza might not be in a context where it can engage in politics as openly as its Qom counterpart, but you'd be foolish to try to pretend that Iraqi politics isn't dominated by Shi'I political parties that are deeply connected to the clergy.

It's the same reason Hezbollah and Amal are so strong on the Lebanese electoral scene -- a separation between mosque and state might work on paper, but you can't stop religious people from voting for religious parties that want to enforce religious morality.

The ones who are fully corrupted take advise from the clergy? I don't think so. But you are right that ulemas do give advice, but that is all, they do not attach themselves to any political parties. 

Edited by Abu Nur

3 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

The ones who are fully corrupted take advise from the clergy? I don't think so. But you are right that ulemas do give advice, but that is all, they do not attach themselves to any political parties. 

False generalization, if the Shia's had not taken direction from the Marja's, Iraq would have been engulfed in sectarian civil war a long time ago. Lebanon is another example of how a proper Shia leadership is inseparable from politics with positive impact on society, to the extend which would not exist without them.

If it wasn't for Shia's taking political stance in Middle East, the Muslim world would have been a very different place, and there would be no need for the zionist to create an anti Imam Mahdi tv series. Though, it's a good sign, shows they're scared.

59 minutes ago, Shiawarrior313 said:

False generalization, if the Shia's had not taken direction from the Marja's, Iraq would have been engulfed in sectarian civil war a long time ago. Lebanon is another example of how a proper Shia leadership is inseparable from politics with positive impact on society, to the extend which would not exist without them.

If it wasn't for Shia's taking political stance in Middle East, the Muslim world would have been a very different place, and there would be no need for the zionist to create an anti Imam Mahdi tv series. Though, it's a good sign, shows they're scared.

Marjas in Iraq, those who are not in politics are not political figures they are there to guide people to what is right and wrong. I don't care about government who says it takes advice from marjas at same time they are the most corrupted government in world. 

4 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Marjas in Iraq, those who are not in politics are not political figures they are there to guide people to what is right and wrong. I don't care about government who says it takes advice from marjas at same time they are the most corrupted government in world. 

Shia's involvement in politics/social movements goes beyond the weak government in Iraq. It was Ayatollah's Sistani's fatwa that threatened the Americans into setting up elections after the 2003 invasion, then holding back the Shias at the height of the suicided bombings from attacking the Sunnis and starting a Sunni/Shia warfare. However, when the time was right, he gave fatwa for mobilized the Iraqis against ISIS. Iraqis are still a long way from having political foresight to elect proper government leaders, however, marja's like Sistani are directing them towards that end. 

13 hours ago, Don'tMakeAس said:

but you'd be foolish to try to pretend that Iraqi politics isn't dominated by Shi'I political parties that are deeply connected to the clergy.

Iraqi politics is only dominated by fake 'Shia' parties who used the cover of faith to steal the wealth and stay in power.

The only connection they have to the Marjiya is using it and hiding behind it to stay in power. 

Sayed Sistani has been the 'safety valve' for Iraq, its unity, and against bloodshed. Guiding the masses in desperate times whilst the fake 'Shia political parties' only remember him when it's election times and to hide behind his picture.

13 hours ago, Don'tMakeAس said:

The character that Mehdi Dehbi is cast for is literally called Al-Masih ad-Dajjal, so Netflix really isn't leaving much to the imagination.

1357216137_ScreenShot2019-12-05at4_41_31PM.png.02977c3bca84a15f3b73f40583172c63.png

I believe the addition of 'ad dajjal' was made by Muslims connecting the dots rather than the producers. I've been reading that some Muslims have been blocked by Netflix for 'guessing' that the guy will lose an eye etc lol 

Also, according our narrations the Dajjal is not Al Masih al Dajjal. That's only in Sunni narrations. 

Shia narrations point to the Dajjal that will appear during the time of Imam (AJF) not before. It's also narrated that he'll be the last Fitnah and will be killed by the Imam AJF. So in essence, there will be many Fitnahs before Dajjal such as the Sufyani etc  

3 hours ago, Shiawarrior313 said:

Shia's involvement in politics/social movements goes beyond the weak government in Iraq. It was Ayatollah's Sistani's fatwa that threatened the Americans into setting up elections after the 2003 invasion, then holding back the Shias at the height of the suicided bombings from attacking the Sunnis and starting a Sunni/Shia warfare. However, when the time was right, he gave fatwa for mobilized the Iraqis against ISIS. 

Fatwa is not political action, thus it has nothing to do with politics. Yes it direct Shia's, and only those who follow him, but not beyond it. Under the Maliki government he did revenge attack towards Sunnis and he also did a lot mischief and all under the Shia Islam name.

Iraqis are still a long way from having political foresight to elect proper government leaders, however, marja's like Sistani are directing them towards that end. 

Guiding is fine, yes. But he is not an political figure nor do he is any political group. What he and many Najaf ulemas is doing is right, not going to politics.

Edited by Abu Nur

14 hours ago, Don'tMakeAس said:

None of them are connected to the major four Shi'a marjas in Najaf. 

Going back to the OP

There's now a petition threatening to boycott Netflix over this production. 

http://chng.it/VCf2yC8kMt

I find it pretty hypocritical as Netflix always produces Fasad and corruption that goes against much of our morals with money from its members. I don't recall anyone petitioning.