Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mohannad_Haydar_Matar

Martial Arts | Boxing (Haram/Halal)

Rate this topic

Salam Alaykum everyone!

Some may see the title and chuckle, because I know I did :grin:

You all know that some...websites, I wont name them, tend to be extremists and often very negative with everything that has nothing to do with Islam, like personal hobbies and such. But reading some of their arguments regarding Martial Arts, specifically Boxing, kind of makes sense. I'm simply wondering if it is permissible to participate in these sports as I have much yet to learn in Islam.

I thank Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for giving me physical and mental strength. Alhamdullilah I inherited my uncle's mass and strength and I've absolutely loved Martial Arts since I was a kid. I've moved on from TaeKwonDo to Amateur Boxing and I hope to make it to the Pro scene.

But now I'm being told from some elderly brothers at the gym that boxing is haram as it causes harm to ourselves and others. A couple of people mention ahadith that I don't know are authentic or not which mentions self harm or harms to others generally isnt allowed, which I fully understand, but I don’t know if that relates to sport and what us Shia say about this.

I absolutely love Martial Arts, but if it is deemed haram by our scholars and deen, then I am fully willing to give it up. I hope to get some answers and I know my question may sound laughable, but im honestly just trying to do good in life Inshallah.

Thank you!

I'm typing this after I just signed up for boxing classes.

But yeah, Ayatollah Sistani (I follow him) said it's allowed as long as it doesn't lead to serious bodily harm.

I haven't heard of manys scholars saying outright it's harram. 

3 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I'm typing this after I just signed up for boxing classes.

But yeah, Ayatollah Sistani (I follow him) said it's allowed as long as it doesn't lead to serious bodily harm.

I haven't heard of manys scholars saying outright it's harram. 

Hope it goes well for you brother!

Hmm, it's really tough to do boxing without getting body harm, as most develop brain injuries or body injuries after a long time whether it be amateur or pro boxing :/ 

10 minutes ago, Mohannad_Haydar_Matar said:

it's really tough to do boxing without getting body harm, as most develop brain injuries or body injuries after a long time whether it be amateur or pro boxing

Well there'll be injuries in any sport. AFL or rugby are pretty dangerous as well. Even in soccer I got a serious leg injury ages back. There's always going to be risk. I don't think one can say it's harram if your intention is to get fit and appreciate the sport. 

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

6 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Well there'll be injuries in any sport. AFL or rugby are pretty dangerous as well. Even in soccer I got a serious leg injury ages back. There's always going to be risk. I don't think one can say it's harram if your intention is to get fit and appreciate the sport. 

No arguing with that!

5 hours ago, Mohannad_Haydar_Matar said:

Salam Alaykum everyone!

Some may see the title and chuckle, because I know I did :grin:

You all know that some...websites, I wont name them, tend to be extremists and often very negative with everything that has nothing to do with Islam, like personal hobbies and such. But reading some of their arguments regarding Martial Arts, specifically Boxing, kind of makes sense. I'm simply wondering if it is permissible to participate in these sports as I have much yet to learn in Islam.

I thank Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for giving me physical and mental strength. Alhamdullilah I inherited my uncle's mass and strength and I've absolutely loved Martial Arts since I was a kid. I've moved on from TaeKwonDo to Amateur Boxing and I hope to make it to the Pro scene.

But now I'm being told from some elderly brothers at the gym that boxing is haram as it causes harm to ourselves and others. A couple of people mention ahadith that I don't know are authentic or not which mentions self harm or harms to others generally isnt allowed, which I fully understand, but I don’t know if that relates to sport and what us Shia say about this.

I absolutely love Martial Arts, but if it is deemed haram by our scholars and deen, then I am fully willing to give it up. I hope to get some answers and I know my question may sound laughable, but im honestly just trying to do good in life Inshallah.

Thank you!

Don’t be silly.  You can learn to be a better Muslim when you learn to fight (like self-discipline, focus, knowing your body and thereby controlling it).  Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was a skilled fighter, he fought better than any ninja could ever be able to fight.  Fighting is a skill that has to be developed for those who are interested.  It takes time and dedication.

Eastern Martial arts especially is an ART of living.  It isn’t something that you confine to the ring or the fighting mat.  Eastern Martial Arts is about living beautifully and about being present in the moment.  It is about flowing like water (remember what Bruce lee said:, “be like water”). In the same way you should learn to flow like water and embrace all that God is giving you by accepting it with thanks and praise.  This is Included in Martial Arts.  By understanding your body you can begin to then understand your emotions and your thoughts.  You will will then begin to know your heart and know God. 

go for it!

Edited by eThErEaL

4 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Don’t be silly.  You can learn to be a better Muslim when you learn to fight (like self-discipline, focus, knowing your body and thereby controlling it).  Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was a skilled fighter, he fought better than any ninja could ever be able to fight.  Fighting is a skill that has to be developed for those who are interested.  It takes time and dedication.

Eastern Martial arts especially is an ART of living.  It isn’t something that you confine to the ring or the fighting mat.  Eastern Martial Arts is about living beautifully and about being present in the moment.  It is about flowing like water (remember what Bruce lee said:, “be like water”). In the same way you should learn to flow like water and embrace all that God is giving you by accepting it with thanks and praise.  This is Included in Martial Arts.  By understanding your body you can begin to then understand your emotions and your thoughts.  You will will then begin to know your heart and know God. 

go for it!

Can't argue with that, thank you!

Alhamdulilah, 

My father was a professional boxer. He fought 100 amateur fights and 20 pro fights and is a golden Glover and fought in the jr Olympics. His pro career was short due to out of ring and in life issues. He suffered torn retina from his boxing career. He actually fought Floyd Mayweather Sr and beat him easily.  Before suffering retina problem his camp was in negotiations to fight sugar Ray. 

But this champion boxing lifestyle wasn’t in the plan that Allah had for him and probably for good reasons. 

Fighting for glory and money is not better than fighting strictly for the pleasure of Allah. My dad and his trainers thought I would be a great boxer due to my at the time coordination, height, and arm span. I love all martial arts but thought fighting for sport would be too much so I didn’t follow in my Fathers footsteps in boxing professionally. 

Learning how to defend oneself and fight is a great thing in Islam. Doing it for the pleasure of Allah and not the self ego is much better. There is a huge ego battle within oneself in being a professional champion fighter for sport. This type of ego could be in conflict with being humble as a servant of Allah. 

My brother was a professional boxer, I fought amateur in Europe, and I had 2 cousins that were also pros. Boxing was excellent exercise, self-discipline, and sportsmanship. There was also great fraternity among fighters--everyone was equal when he entered the boxing ring, and only skill, courage, and fortitude mattered.