Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Would you let your son or daughter date?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assuming you live, like most of us on this forum, in the US, Canada or Europe ('the West') would you let your son or daughter date? What would be you reaction if s/he came home with their boyfriend or girlfriend?

• Moderators

The only dates my children are allowed 

162145210_images(61).jpeg.0008548c6c933ab46a3a2aec7fb4b759.jpeg

6 minutes ago, warisshah2012 said:

What would be you reaction if s/he came home with their boyfriend or girlfriend?

I don't live in the west but I don't think any Muslim kids ever 'bring'a date home. They are smarter than that.:dry:

• Advanced Member

I doubt that you'd find anyone here that would agree to their children 'dating'.

But being faced with such a scenario, a parent must tread very carefully because a knee jerk reaction will most likely push your son/daughter further away when you need them close more than ever. 

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, warisshah2012 said:

Assuming you live, like most of us on this forum, in the US, Canada or Europe ('the West') would you let your son or daughter date? What would be you reaction if s/he came home with their boyfriend or girlfriend?

Insha Allah when I grow up and if I ever have kids I will make sure they can open up to me as well as trust me. Now with your question, absolutely not. Highschool love is a huge NO. Young boys are absolute trash and make stupid promises to the girl, breaking her heart in the end. I will make sure she stays away from that. However, if she has a crush or deep feelings for someone, I wouldn't be hard on her, rather I'd guide her and give solid advice as to how she should deal with it. Also to avoid crossing boundaries. If she is interested in getting married to him, then obviously I need to check if he is the right guy for her, cause alot of men are players and only want to satisfy their desires. Insha Allah I will also make sure that she has the full right to find out if he's suitable for her or not. just as long as she does not cross her limits and that I am fully aware.

Think about it, certain things in Islam are forbidden for a reason. When being in a haram relationship, bad things happen. Heartbreak, unwanted pregnancies, STD and AIDS. Allah doesn't want us to go through that. in a relationship, the guy can just leave her whenever he wants, however marriage is when both parties have given rights to eachother through signing a contract  along with commitment, so its not so easy to just simply walk out the door and leave your wife and unborn child behind. the man has to fulfill his rights to the woman, thats why marriage is important. 

Edited by Hameedeh
Removed excess space in the quote.
  • Moderators

I would allow my children to go out with groups of friends if I believe those friends are reputable. If they are interested in some specific person, that person should come to talk with me like a mature, responsible, young adult. I have no plans to require my daughter's suitors to talk with her father first - he knows nothing about her and her needs and preferences - but I suppose it's a technicality that must be observed before she's allowed to get married. 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
2 hours ago, warisshah2012 said:

What would be you reaction if s/he came home with their boyfriend or girlfriend?

I'd obviously explain to them that dating is harram. I wouldn't judge them because maybe they're interested in a faithful Muslim guy/girl. I would give them options. It's important to ensure that they know what is permissible and forbidden. The three options I'll give them (obviously discussing every option in detail):

(1) Leave him/her to save yourself from further harram.

(2) Permanently marry them.

(3) Temporary marriage.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans
Guest Dating is good

I think dating is healthy.  Teenagers have a need to be with the opposite sex in a normal, none religious setting.  They can be chaperoned, not the overbearing type but sitting in the diner while they go to the theater.   Some oversight is necessary, but determine what is your fear? Do you fear they'll get involved in sex? Teach your daughter, son, etc how to be with the opposite sex, instead of separating kids all their lives let them be normal.  If a boy is respectful, and has been tested, he can come over my house and "see" my daughter.  Sure.  

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Guest Dating is good said:

Teach your daughter, son, etc how to be with the opposite sex, instead of separating kids all their lives let them be normal.  If a boy is respectful, and has been tested, he can come over my house and "see" my daughter.  Sure.  

I somewhat agree with this, but I define dating as spending time alone with someone. It's good for young adults to feel normal around potential suitors, but letting them be alone is likely to lead to emotional decisions. (Wiser adults make bad decisions too, but every parent wants to protect their children as much as they are able)

• Veteran Member

Since reactions to the word "date" varies around the World, l will avoid it in my post. [When l grew up, "date" did not mean sex.]

lf two young people want to see each other, do it at home. lt works fine. They are also more at ease because they are not pressured to talk. Talking is a difficult skill fo most young people. He has sisters and she has brothers to also converse with.

And they can avoid having to think they have to stare at each other.

l know two cases like the one l'II relate.

ln 7th grade in North Africa two kids "knew" it would be the other to marry. So it was worked out this way: every, yes every, Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon or after school, one would be at the others house are there was always someone there usually a parent plus other people in the family. Everything was scheduled. Then on the 3 others days it was the others house -same thing. When her family went on vacations, he went. When his family went on vacations, she went. When she was at his family's house, he and his sisters would walk her home.

After high school, she went to college and he got into a trade and saved his money. She finished college,  got a good job and saved her money. At home arrangements stayed the same all those years. They married at 25.

Guest HeLivesInYou

If by dating you mean no sex, sure. If by dating you mean to “court” or get to know someone for marriage, sure. 

There is no real definition of dating nowadays. “Dating” could mean a courtship, FWB, and hooking up. People in “The West” don’t date the same way, so it’d be inappropriate to make a blanket statement on the subject.

• Advanced Member

I would like to mention, to prevent this issue it starts far earlier than in the moment. I remember being 15, 16 and telling my parents I 'loved' someone (yes I know 15 y/o thinking) and as my parents were very close to me they did not judge straight away and say, NO!. They asked me about them, what it is that I like about them and what the future would look like with such a person. They didnt tell me its wrong, they showed me a different perspective to understand and draw my own conclusion as to why it was wrong. I tell you, had they not been so open with me and supportive, I would have definitely rebelled. It is thanks to that open minded thinking that helped me understand. 

Aoa

in west you can’t avoid kids from dating. Further it can be a non Muslim with your daughter. Keeping air and fire together...you can’t expect the fire not to spread.

on top when you try to teach them they will talk about equality and diversity which our religion teaches more then any other 

they think everyone is same and relationship with anyone is the same . They debate that all have the same God and religions have just caused breaches and the new generation can bridge those gaps 

... difficult to impress them specially for parents who have less knowledge 

• Moderators
On 12/1/2019 at 8:42 AM, starlight said:

The only dates my children are allowed 

162145210_images(61).jpeg.0008548c6c933ab46a3a2aec7fb4b759.jpeg

Years ago, I was at a Cub Scout meeting with my little boys. It was Ramadan and time to break the fast. I pulled a container of dates out of my bag. A boy looked over, curiously. I, always generous to children, tilted the bowl toward him and offered "want a date?" The boy looked at me in horror and exclaimed "I'm just a little kid!"

Guest Pschological Warfare

Our homes are not marketplaces for economic gains nor mini corporations that we need to adapt that culture of "everything allowed" and live with all opinions and be a team player as long as there is economic or profit growth. unlike a home, priority there is a cohesive team that produces results for the master in monetary terms. Master does not care about their salves personal lives or ethical growth nor they look beyond the current quarter or the fiscal years as they need to please the street since CEO's top management yearly bonus is linked to their company stock performance. President / lawmakers are concerned with reelection not your family'/societies ethical/moral growth.

Since some have adopted this corporate model, maybe that is what they know or have seen in this world. They tend to think and drive value system based on this Nurture. 

So, to have a conversation about morality and ethics will be foreign to them and they may look at it as something out of the realm of reality or not practical at all. 

Because, Divine Laws are followed by people. Secular/Man made laws and norms get rewritten based on the majority's view. To have a conversation with such audience will be very difficult as they only see laws/norms working for them not the other way around. 

Freedom to be with as many partners you want to be with, prior to marriage  is a post wood-stock /darwinism/WWII issue.  This would have been a immoral/unethical issue 100 years ago. So, this is a recent phenomenon even in the West. 

Nature will dictate purity as it is essential for pure and healthy generation. Disease free spouse, and one with multiple partners-  prior to you is not Natural or a preferred choice  if we are to be turth-ful and not political correct.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:53 AM, notme said:

I have no plans to require my daughter's suitors to talk with her father first - he knows nothing about her and her needs and preferences - but I suppose it's a technicality that must be observed before she's allowed to get married. 

No its not only a technical requirement. Its the most Natural things. As He is aware of his kind and sees things in a very different way, compared to a mother. 

• Veteran Member
On 12/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, warisshah2012 said:

Assuming you live, like most of us on this forum, in the US, Canada or Europe ('the West') would you let your son or daughter date?

The non-Muslim definition of "dating"?...no.

The Muslim definition of "dating"?...yes. 

I define the two in different ways.

1. The non-Muslim manner of dating is haram. Plain and simple. Nothing else to be said for it.
  2. The Muslim manner of dating is a bit of an oxymoron. Its not really dating in the popular sense of the word. It is getting to know one another for the purpose of marriage through the proper, respectful channels of decency, etiquette and decorum. 
    1. Nothing is done without the Parents' knowledge and consent. In fact, I am of the mindset that the rules should be defined by the girl's family as to who, what, when, where, how and why the interactions take place and they should have full authority to say no to anything that is outside of their comfort level.
    2. This really serves multiple purposes...
      1. It establishes a level of trust and respect between the boy and the girl's parents.
      2. It establishes that the girl's reputation is maintained if for whatever reason the boy and girl do not wish to continue the "fact finding" mission. This is completely normal and is in fact the reason for the entire exercise.
      3. To determine if the two are compatible and to have them both come to this realization on their own prevents any doubts or regrets on their part.
        1. This mutual and respectful arrival at that conclusion allows for a "peaceful coexistence" between the families post breakup. No one has been harmed and it was originally approached as a means to make the determination of potential compatibility.
    3. A mutah can be entered into if the families are comfortable with it.
    4. It encourages communication between both sets of Parents.
      1. Its critical to get to know the other side as a Parent. As everyone is well aware that's already married, you don't just marry the person you marry the family.
        1. You marry into their mindset.
        2. Their manners.
        3. Their status in society.
        4. How the Parents come across. 
          1. If its a Mother in Law who gives off the vibe of sticking her nose into their life, and you are not comfortable with that it allows for you to make an informed decision as to make a Parental decision on it.
          2. Are they someone you would want your Grandchildren to have as Grandparents?
          3. etc...

I think this approach works well because it allows for a proper, decent means for the boy and girl to get to know each other, with everything being above board with the families knowing all that's happening. It also allows for secrecy to be maintained, especially for the girl because as we all know there is a despicable double standard when it comes to girls vs a boy. This to some degree allows for the privacy of the girl to be maintained based on what her Parents are comforable with.

Just speaking as the father of a son and a daughter. Just my opinion on the matter.

• Veteran Member
On 12/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, warisshah2012 said:

First, I would consider it a failure on my part as a Parent for not having educated my children on the proper Islamic morals and etiquette. If my son comes home and introduces his girlfriend to me, I would have a conversation in private with him in which I explain my opinion on the matter, what Islam mandates us as what is haram and what is halal in a situation of that manner, and finally I would explain to him my disapointment in his choice of action. I would then leave it up to him to decide what to do from that point forward, but the bottom line is that it is ultimately a failure in my responsibilities as a Parent for not having imposed on him what Islam mandates, and most importantly why it mandates what it does. 

Now, if this was a situation with my daughter doing this, I would do the same with her but also inform her of the completely unfair double standard that exists. Women are quickly accused on a character basis of conducting immoral acts even when there maybe absolutely zero valid evidence. I'm not defending or condoning the double standard but you can't deny the existence and destructive impact of it. I would also then inform her of my dissapointment in her choice of action, remind her of what Islam mandates as haram and as halal, and then leave it up to her to choose what to do next. Again, this is a failure on my part as a parent because I didn't do enough to impart on them what is haram and halal from an Islamic perspective.

Parents are just responsible for the failures of their children, as the children themselves are. If not enough time and effort is spent on their education on all aspects of their life, religious and otherwise, then depending on the age of their children and other factors then they are the cause of their children's decisions and the reason for their successes/failures in anything. That's why in Islam when a person sins, their ancestry is charged with that sin as well. Same applies to good deeds as well, any good deed benefits the ancestry as well. The logic behind this is that if they had done a good enough job teaching their children the mandates of Islam as well as passing on the importance of it to their children, they will then have done the same with their own children.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Guest Pschological Warfare said:

No its not only a technical requirement. Its the most Natural things. As He is aware of his kind and sees things in a very different way, compared to a mother. 

It's also a natural thing for a parent to NOT abandon his child. We aren't dealing with a sane and competent person. Mind your business. 

• Veteran Member
On 12/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, warisshah2012 said:

This is probably the main reason I did not get coaxed to move to those greener pastures. What's the point in bothering for all that just to raise a bunch of devil worshiping animals? Think about it.

Better one handful with tranquillity than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind.

• Advanced Member

THanks for the replies. I do not have a son or daughter at the age where they are yet interested in sex but the reality is that dating (I use the term in the way it is used in the USA or Europe amongst the main non-Muslim population, especially in Europe which doesn't have a large fundamentalist Christian right wing like the USA does) is normal nowadays and Muslim kids are dating as much as non-Muslims and having pre-marital sex (most of them hiding it from their parents of course). I am a high school teacher and I see Muslims dating as much as non-Muslims. I'm a Muslim myself and I know in Shariah it is haram but the reality is, having lived my whole life in Europe, my attitude towards premarital sex has also changed. I don't think a parent can actually stop a teenager/young adult (say 16 - the age of consent in most of Europe) from having sex in the society in which we live. The 'old solutions' like getting them married from 'back home' or, God forbid, using threats or physical violence don't work. ! Wouldn't it be easier to just accept that the cost of our parents or grandparents moving to the West was that 3 generations down the line our chlidren/grandchildren are more or less assimilated and that the best and most logical thing to do is to accept it and try to just guide them within that paradigm. Just tell them to try and date Muslims as much as possible with a view to getting married? Just some thoughts.

• Advanced Member

I don't think referring to people as 'devil worshipping animals' is helpful in any way btw and I guess the last poster was just joking.  My question came to me when I thought what would I actually do if my son/daughter told me they had a bf/gf or vice-versa and the honest answer is probably nothing other than talk about it with them and tell them to use protection. 

Edited by warisshah2012
  • Advanced Member

People are talking about raising them with good Islamic morals but that doesn't seem to stop them does it?! It just seems to lead to one life at home and another outside in college/high school etc or amongst their peers.  I also know that desi Muslims have double standards when it comes to sons and daughters. I would try to avoid that.  I am assuming the majority of parents try to raise their kids with good values but that doesn't seem to have led to a different outcome than the one we observe. I heard a recent statistic, I think from a Yasir Qadhi talk (I'm not a big fan of his but just saying) that 43% of Muslims brought up in the USA have now said in a survey that they have no religion. THat's a crazy statistic...and the trend seems to be going one way only! Realistically, 99.9% of us are never going to leave and 'go back' let alone our following generations and hence my original question was a direct extrapolation of this trend....(often parental strictures on just this issue leads them to leave Islam)

• Advanced Member
On 12/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I'd obviously explain to them that dating is harram. I wouldn't judge them because maybe they're interested in a faithful Muslim guy/girl. I would give them options. It's important to ensure that they know what is permissible and forbidden. The three options I'll give them (obviously discussing every option in detail):

(1) Leave him/her to save yourself from further harram.

(2) Permanently marry them.

(3) Temporary marriage.

And if they reject all three options?

• Advanced Member

@warisshah2012

I must say that last line telling them to use protection cracked me up.

It's obviously not a funny subject but I don't sense too much concern on your part if they God forbid engage in zina. 

You said your attitude towards premarital sex has changed. I'm sure you don't condone zina do you? As there are options such as through temporary marriage. 

I agree with everything you said about the double lives inside the house and outside as well as the struggles in the west but the main issue here is zina.

Edited by Moalfas
Typo
  • Advanced Member

AoA,

I'm a brother not a sister!  I would not be happy if they engaged in zina and I wouldn't want it happening in my house ('no, he can't sleep over!) but its more just a case of accepting the inevitable and so adopting a 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude. The protection quip was so they at least don't have to deal with the added issue of teen pregnancies and STDs.  I am not Shia so temporary marriage isn't a solution either [even if I was I don't think it is a realistic one.]

Zina is haram. Period. That's not the point -- the point is people do it knowing it is -- they don't see it as a big deal and the bigger issue is that if you try to stop them it can lead to the bigger problem of them leaving Islam. It sounds far fetched but it's not. A lot of 3rd gen Muslims leave for exactly these kind of practical reasons and not for philosophical reasons! 'I want my freedom' is their argument in a nutshell which all religions curtail to some degree.  So I think its better to choose the lesser 'evil' of zina compared to apostasy. 

Edited by warisshah2012
added clarity
  • Advanced Member

Apologies brother, error fixed! 

I think that as your children grow older inshallah, you'll realise that you wouldn't want to adopt a 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude at all.

Before accepting the 'inevitable', and because they are young, you can work on instilling the pillars of faith, boundaries and ethics in them. Encourage critical thinking and not simply going with every flow. 

That way once they're older, they'll be able to withstand peer pressure and would be better prepared to deal with situations. Rather than letting them just go with the flow of society. 

I also don't think it's correct for us to blame the possible lost generations on our parents who moved to West. I feel it would be a easy way out of investing in our children and teaching them the morals and ethics that we hold dear. 

• Advanced Member
24 minutes ago, warisshah2012 said:

So I think its better to choose the lesser 'evil' of zina compared to apostasy

If you see zina which is one of the Kabaer (major sins) as a lesser evil, then there's not much I can say as this turns into a subjective issue. 

The jurisprudence regarding zina is very clear and the reasoning behind it is also very clear. It's up to you take it aboard and pass it onto your kids along with the rest of the teachings that we believe make us into better human beings. Or not.

I pray Allah sub. guides us all in doing what's best for our children. 

• Veteran Member
11 hours ago, warisshah2012 said:

So I think its better to choose the lesser 'evil' of zina compared to apostasy. 

If zina is fine to a parent and child both and they can also like each other then perhaps some such parents wouldn't mind doing the honors themselves? Yep, take God out of things and the possibilities are endless.

15 hours ago, warisshah2012 said:

I am a high school teacher and I see Muslims dating as much as non-Muslims. I'm a Muslim myself and I know in Shariah it is haram but the reality is, having lived my whole life in Europe, my attitude towards premarital sex has also changed.

You claim to be a "freethinker".You follow the religion of love and humanism - this is what you have written in your profile here for all to read. 

This term "Freethinker" implies many things to many people. As you live in the West, you are aware that the state does allow you to think freely as a mental exercise Only in certain matters that are of vital importance to the State. Your illusion of Freethinking does not change the outcome in these matters are they are dictated to you. for example- National Security issues, Foreign policy issues, Economic/Monetary /Tax issues nor does the corporate world allows free thinking in issues of vital interests. All these matters are policy issues and a few control these, the rest of the population just follows- or is dictated to. 

Only freedom you have is to do whatever you want to do with your life and morality, ethics etc...Even here you will be constrained as the majority can dictate new meaning to norms like Marriage. In essence you have freedom untill some one wants to make a policy and at that time you loose this illusion of freedom. 

As far as love and Humanism is concerned- good personal stuff. But Societies/States need laws. So you have two ways of life- A personal way and the other is dictated to you, in terms of norms and laws which make things harm (not allowed) and halal ( allowed) in terms of you dealings with people around you and of things of vital interests to the state. 

If you are a teacher in a high school, you will understand the impact of Nurture/Environment/peer pressure. So, it will be normal for kids who become the ward of the state or the public school system to adopt the trend. You can't expect them to be outcasts. For this reason, for Muslims living in the west its is imperative that if Accredited Islamic School ( a full time grade 1- 12) available that you send them to a Islamic School which offers all classes as a regular public school but with an Islamic environment/ethics/morals/teachings. Due to outside Nurture and environment ( TV, Movies, general observation is the society) Here you can still run into issues of promiscuity but you have given them an environment which gives them a choice to two ways of life. Which is not really available  in a public school - only one way or you are an outcast or some there is some issues that you do not have a friend with opposite gender and not engaged in such activities. 

Immigrants tend to focus on survival issues, and free schooling is appealing as some are burdened with financial issues, maybe both parents have to work. So, less attention is paid to the next generation. Some are more concerned with accumulating wealth and assimilate or due to lack of knowledge of the System they are in. So, kids will suffer in this situation, but the next generations will weed out the stuff and once they realize the dangers they will make the right decisions. Not all, but some will. So, not all is lost here.

You got used to a life style seeing at 24/7/365 and after while it grew on you, and now you think its ok. We do tend to follow the flow, and it is natural. Does not  make it correct, but this is what happens and people drop their resistance and become part of the system and start to like it, as its the easy way to go, after all financial gains is what priority and with this comes all the good stuff for R&R. Less worries, so the liberal part is wholesome and regarding, let it happen and be free is good for long life a life of few worries and struggles and more focus on individual gains and quality of life. But this is all an illusion, for you and your generations

State is handing out contraceptives, people follow and say we will do the same- Its a natural flow or order of things- People are Nurtured in this way. 

21 hours ago, notme said:

It's also a natural thing for a parent to NOT abandon his child. We aren't dealing with a sane and competent person. Mind your business. 

Who said that there is not communication between the parents? 

• Advanced Member

I'm not against Islamic schools from K1-K12 in theory but I've yet to see one that produces well rounded individuals who can live and thrive in the modern world. I don't know about the USA but in the UK the Islamic schools produce people with the mentality of the Taliban who don't want to interact with the world around them -- not all but mostly. It's also not a practical solution at the moment. There are 2 million Muslims in the UK! If even a quarter of that are school going age how many schools can we build?!

The point about zina has been totally misunderstood: what's worse: doing zina or leaving Islam altogether? At least if you give them freedom they're more likely to stay in Islam even if nominally. 

2 minutes ago, warisshah2012 said:

I'm not against Islamic schools from K1-K12 in theory but I've yet to see one that produces well rounded individuals who can live and thrive in the modern world. I don't know about the USA but in the UK the Islamic schools produce people with the mentality of the Taliban who don't want to interact with the world around them -- not all but mostly. It's also not a practical solution at the moment. There are 2 million Muslims in the UK! If even a quarter of that are school going age how many schools can we build?!

If an Islamic school is an Accredited School it offers the same courses except that they usual replace the Music class with Arabic or Religion. However, the environment is different. Not sure, what you are referring to I have seen people graduate and go on with la schools, medical schools and got Masters in other fields- 

Science is governed by Ethics.

So, the modern world you are referring to has its own issues, of Individualism, premarital and marital promiscuity, Divorce, abandoned kids and families, sharks devouring the naive  public as Divorce lawyers, physician, pharma, fast food, fashion industry. Gender Identity crisis, not sure what this world "Modern" implies. 

If by Modern you mean, iphone. computers, space ships and neo capitalism in economic/state and corporate world which gets adopted into the families and we do not have families we have mini business- people live together for mutual Monetary Benefits. No this is backwardness. Darwinism is driving humans to pre Isamic era of all is free to catch and eat - no regard of moral or ethical issues. No God centric society is only Monetary centric and Anything goes- No moral/ethical Limits - No one is save - mother or sister, teacher, elderly women or neighbor wife nothings is sacred. If we can get away with it, lets have fun- IS not modern is going back to animal kingdom. We got laws /norms which animals will frown on . 

---------

So, kindly enlighten me on this Modern world and what is expected of me?