Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Any UK SCers voting in the General Election?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I'm wondering if there are any ShiaChat members  based in the UK? Will you be voting? Who will you vote for? 

I'm also wondering what the rest of the world thinks of the UK's ongoing Brexit chaos and upcoming elections? 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. Labour.

There are two things going on here. There's the Brexit issue and there is also unquestioning loyalty to Israel. Corbyn is the only British politician who is willing to stand up the Zionists. He puts m

Exactly. It totally beggars belief that he is willing to stand up for the oppressed of the Middle East including the Shias of Lebanon and then Shias can come along and say he's just like all the

Posted Images

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Moalfas said:

I'm wondering if there are any ShiaChat members  based in the UK? Will you be voting? Who will you vote for? 

I'm also wondering what the rest of the world thinks of the UK's ongoing Brexit chaos and upcoming elections? 

I think I could've voted in the UK if I was there, because they allow all commonwealthers to vote I believe. 

I think your election is all about Brexit, I think Boris is a joke but because of Labour's uncertainty over the issue and the whole confusion about their stance, it's unlikely they'll win and Boris the tories will prob bag it. I really think if the LP was less interested in undermining Corbyn and really making a meal out of that manufactured anti-semitism crisis, the party would be in a much stronger position than it is in now. So tories will probably win and the UK will probably leave the EU with a pretty bad deal.

Edited by Mohamed1993
  • Advanced Member

I got the poll card but I'm away that day. How do I apply for postal vote? Had anyone ever done Postal? 

Someone sent me this on Whatssap just now

Salaam. 
 Most important and Urgent Request.
A daily Newspaper in London reported today; Muslims can determine the outcome of Elections next month if they vote for the Labour Party in 31 Constituencies where they(Muslims) hold sway.
So, all Muslims living in Uk are reminded of the importance of their vote in this Election and vote for The Labour Party. 
Please remember Mr.. Boris Johnson  has been insulting:
1. Muslims;
2.Islam;and
3.The Qur'an.
Remember, Labour Party voted unanimously at their Annual Conference in support of  Indian occupied Kashmiris and denounced Indian Government.  
Indians will be  voting for Conservative Party to punish Labour Party. 
Let us show our gratitude to Labour Party by voting for them and bringing them to Power Insha’Allah. 
Never before in the history of Uk have Muslim voters held the outcome of General Election in their hands.
Good Luck. 
Pl pass this text on to as many people as possible.
Kind regards.
Daus

Edited by Liggel
Addition
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

I think I could've voted in the UK if I was there, because they allow all commonwealthers to vote I believe. 

Commonwealth citizens who reside in the U.K. can vote.

I think your election is all about Brexit,

It certainly is all about Brexit.

I think Boris is a joke but because of Labour's uncertainty over the issue and the whole confusion about their stance, it's unlikely they'll win and Boris the tories will prob bag it. I really think if the LP was less interested in undermining Corbyn and really making a meal out of that manufactured anti-semitism crisis, the party would be in a much stronger position than it is in now. So tories will probably win and the UK will probably leave the EU with a pretty bad deal.

Labour or at least Corbyn hasn't shown much leadership and taken a stance on Brexit. He's saying he wants to remain neutral on the issue which doesn't give voters much confidence in him really. 

And it is very unfortunate because Corbyn is probably the most, if I may say 'friendly to our causes' which is precisely why he's been constantly attacked whether by alleging 'anti Semitism' or 'sympathising with terrorists' etc

Farage won't contest Tory seats so that will help Boris a lot. But Lib Dems have also seen a surge in popularity as being the only party who are openly calling on Brexit to be revoked. They had the best results in the EU elections not long ago and I suspect they will also raise some eyebrows this election. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Yes.

Labour.

How do you feel about Corbyn's lack of leadership on Brexit? These elections were the result of the Brexit chaos after all. 

• Forum Administrators

I think he is being very shrewd.

A lot of the people who voted Labour previously want to leave the EU. He risks alienating them if he strongly supports Remain. And there is precedent of a Prime Minister taking a neutral position in such a matter.

Overall I think he would be criticised whatever stance he takes because of his wider platform to address inequality. There are some very powerful interest groups ranged against him.

• Advanced Member
Just now, Haji 2003 said:

I think he is being very shrewd.

A lot of the people who voted Labour previously want to leave the EU. He risks alienating them if he strongly supports Remain. And there is precedent of a Prime Minister taking a neutral position in such a matter.

Overall I think he would be criticised whatever stance he takes because of his wider platform to address inequality. There are some very powerful interest groups ranged against him.

Corbyn was historically extremely anti-Brussels. This new softening on that issue since he came to the leadership I find really annoying. He has obviously been under a lot of pressure but to actually bring in the positive changes he wants a hard Brexit, and the harder the better is extremely necessary.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Liggel said:

I got the poll card but I'm away that day. How do I apply for postal vote? Had anyone ever done Postal? 

I suspect you're a little late for a postal vote as you have to apply before hand and receive it by post and send it back which should all be done before the date of the general election. Worth checking online though. 

3 hours ago, Liggel said:

Someone sent me this on Whatssap just now

Salaam. 
 Most important and Urgent Request.
A daily Newspaper in London reported today; Muslims can determine the outcome of Elections next month if they vote for the Labour Party in 31 Constituencies where they(Muslims) hold sway.
So, all Muslims living in Uk are reminded of the importance of their vote in this Election and vote for The Labour Party. 
Please remember Mr... Boris Johnson  has been insulting:
1. Muslims;
2.Islam;and
3.The Qur'an.
Remember, Labour Party voted unanimously at their Annual Conference in support of  Indian occupied Kashmiris and denounced Indian Government.  
Indians will be  voting for Conservative Party to punish Labour Party. 
Let us show our gratitude to Labour Party by voting for them and bringing them to Power Insha’Allah. 
Never before in the history of Uk have Muslim voters held the outcome of General Election in their hands.
Good Luck. 
Pl pass this text on to as many people as possible.
Kind regards.
Daus

I think the 'Muslim' vote will go between Labour and Lib Dems. 

Had Corbyn made a stronger stance against Brexit, he would guarantee the Muslim vote but would then lose the white working class lifetime labour voters so he's playing it very safe.

• Moderators

I am not British and I do not vote. Labour and tories are both fasiqeen and both have the blood of muslimeen and innocent people in general on their hands so I can't imagine why any Muslim would want to vote for either.

Regarding Brexit, the people voted for it and now Labour refuse to deliver it. One way or the other the UK needs to leave Europe otherwise they will lose the last remaining traces of credibility among the British population. 

The best outcome for the UK is that Tories secure a majority and finalize Brexit so that they can move on and start focusing on domestic issues.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Had Corbyn made a stronger stance against Brexit, he would guarantee the Muslim vote but would then lose the white working class lifetime labour voters so he's playing it very safe.

I fail to understand why British Muslims shouldnt care less about Brexit. 

Edited by Mahdavist
  • Advanced Member
Just now, Mahdavist said:

I am not British and I do not vote. Labour and tories are both fasiqeen and both have the blood of muslimeen and innocent people in general on their hands so I can't imagine why any Muslim would want to vote for either.

Regarding Brexit, the people voted for it and now Labour refuse to deliver it. One way or the other the UK needs to leave Europe otherwise they will lose the last remaining traces of credibility among the British population. 

The best outcome for the UK is that Tories secure a majority and finalize Brexit so that they can move on and start focusing on domestic issues.

Corbyn is very sincerely anti-imperialist. It is a different party now to what it was under the butcher Blair. Politics often in this fallen world involves choosing to bad in order to prevent the evil.

• Moderators
Just now, Celtic Twilight said:

Corbyn is very sincerely anti-imperialist. It is a different party now to what it was under the butcher Blair. Politics often in this fallen world involves choosing to bad in order to prevent the evil.

Corbyn lacks credibility and changes his position according to the political mood of the moment. To date he has failed to show a consistent position on the biggest decision of his country which is whether to remain in the EU or not.

• Advanced Member
12 minutes ago, Celtic Twilight said:

he wants a hard Brexit, and the harder the better is extremely necessary.

It's interesting that you'd think that. It sounds a lot like a Reese mogg kind of Brexit than a Labour one.

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

I fail to understand why British Muslims shouldnt care less about Brexit. 

British Muslims and generally all minorities and immigrants care a lot about Brexit because it affects them directly.

The Brexit vote in 2016 was a result of many lies and misinformation and fear mongering spread by everyone. The people didn't know what they know now of the consequences of Brexit, and the difference between the in and out vote wasn't that big either. 

Some have hardened their 'Brexit means Brexit' views and others have changed their mind to remain. I think it's about time people get a another vote and a well informed one this time.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Moalfas said:

British Muslims and generally all minorities and immigrants care a lot about Brexit because it affects them directly.

The Brexit vote in 2016 was a result of many lies and misinformation and fear mongering spread by everyone. The people didn't know what they know now of the consequences of Brexit, and the difference between the in and out vote wasn't that big either. 

Some have hardened their 'Brexit means Brexit' views and others have changed their mind to remain. I think it's about time people get a another vote and a well informed one this time.

Please explain how Brexit affects British Muslims. Thank you. 

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

"The reason why Muslims voted overwhelmingly for Remain is obvious. The Leave campaign won not only by pledging to reduce migration and take back full border controls from the EU but it did so in a way that played into race politics. Examples from the campaign include the argument over Turkey joining the EU, the infamous UKIP ‘breaking point’ poster showing Syrian refugees on the Croatia-Slovenia border and the claim that Muslim paedophiles would flood into Britain – and so it continued for months on end.

Every far-right group in Britain and the rest of Europe has welcomed the Brexit result and social media is now awash with accounts of emboldened bigots telling Poles, Muslim school kids or mosque-goers to get out of Britain. For more examples, see the hashtag #postrefracism on Twitter. The Brexit victory has empowered the bigots in our society, not placated them. And to their credit, most British Muslims in straitened circumstances did not buy into the canard sold to their fellow have-nots that leaving the EU would solve all their problems."

https://musliminstitute.org/freethinking/politics/after-brexit-where-do-british-Muslims-go-here

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Moalfas said:

"The reason why Muslims voted overwhelmingly for Remain is obvious. The Leave campaign won not only by pledging to reduce migration and take back full border controls from the EU but it did so in a way that played into race politics. Examples from the campaign include the argument over Turkey joining the EU, the infamous UKIP ‘breaking point’ poster showing Syrian refugees on the Croatia-Slovenia border and the claim that Muslim paedophiles would flood into Britain – and so it continued for months on end.

Every far-right group in Britain and the rest of Europe has welcomed the Brexit result and social media is now awash with accounts of emboldened bigots telling Poles, Muslim school kids or mosque-goers to get out of Britain. For more examples, see the hashtag #postrefracism on Twitter. The Brexit victory has empowered the bigots in our society, not placated them. And to their credit, most British Muslims in straitened circumstances did not buy into the canard sold to their fellow have-nots that leaving the EU would solve all their problems."

https://musliminstitute.org/freethinking/politics/after-brexit-where-do-british-Muslims-go-here

So they dislike the people campaigning for Brexit and they dislike the way they promoted it. I still haven't seen any Muslim explain why Brexit itself is bad for them or for Islam in general.

On the contrary I would think breaking free of the islamophobic European Union is a good move for a country that is much more tolerant of religion than its European counterparts.

• Advanced Member
21 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

It's interesting that you'd think that. It sounds a lot like a Reese mogg kind of Brexit than a Labour one.

It was the Conservative Party which brought the UK under Brussels due to Yankee pressure and Labour and the Communist Party which opposed it. If you look at the Morning Star they are advocating as hard if not harder a Brexit than Reese Mogg. Just because Reese Mogg is terribly wrong on a lot of issues does not mean he is wrong about everything- he is right when it comes to traditional morality and he is right when it comes to Brexit.

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

It effects Muslims because without Brexit Muslims in Britain will find their traditional morality under more and more savage assault as well as possibly their Religious Liberty in any meaningful real sense.

• Advanced Member
35 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Corbyn lacks credibility and changes his position according to the political mood of the moment. To date he has failed to show a consistent position on the biggest decision of his country which is whether to remain in the EU or not.

Before he took the leadership and start coming under serious pressure he was consistent in his views and took principled stands that were very controversial such as when the armed struggle was going on here up in the north of Ireland against the UK state he stood up for us and was a friend to the Irish immigrants or people descended from Irish immigrants over in Britain when they were coming under a lot of pressure. At the time this took guts. I agree with you about his stance on the EU which is what I think will lose him the election however I cannot forget his past. 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Celtic Twilight said:

It effects Muslims because without Brexit Muslims in Britain will find their traditional morality under more and more savage assault as well as possibly their Religious Liberty in any meaningful real sense.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that religious freedom for Muslims is more at risk while Britain remains part of the EU. 

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Celtic Twilight said:

Corbyn was historically extremely anti-Brussels. This new softening on that issue since he came to the leadership I find really annoying. He has obviously been under a lot of pressure but to actually bring in the positive changes he wants a hard Brexit, and the harder the better is extremely necessary.

No I don't think that is correct. He has always said he wants a negotiated deal. Quite a few people supporting Johnson and perhaps he himself wants a hard Brexit.

40 minutes ago, Celtic Twilight said:

I disagree.

The people who support Brexit (and Johnson) are typically hard-right types (for example Tommy Robinson). Their 'morality' may well have similarities to ours in some very limited respects. But be very sure that they have an aggressively anti-Muslim agenda.

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

No I don't think that is correct. He has always said he wants a negotiated deal. Quite a few people supporting Johnson and perhaps he himself wants a hard Brexit.

Before he became leader back in the 1970s and 1980s he was most definitely for total withdrawal.

• Forum Administrators
27 minutes ago, Celtic Twilight said:

Before he became leader back in the 1970s and 1980s he was most definitely for total withdrawal.

Yes but we are voting on where he stands now, not where he stood in the 1970s.

• Forum Administrators

Another reason for voting Labour. If the Conservatives win we end up with an American style healthcare system and people whose best friends are Netanyahu and Modi.

EKDiBE4XkAAVh3A?format=png&name=small

Edited by Haji 2003
  • Veteran Member
15 hours ago, Moalfas said:

Election-of-Joseph-Stalin-1949-930x718-400x275.jpg.41a75ad27d59bd3892314ee222a0cf78.jpg

Edit: It means Corbyn will lose. Status quo will win.

Edited by The Green Knight
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

I disagree.

The people who support Brexit (and Johnson) are typically hard-right types (for example Tommy Robinson). Their 'morality' may well have similarities to ours in some very limited respects. But be very sure that they have an aggressively anti-Muslim agenda.

They are more tolerant of Muslims than most EU countries, so remaining in the EU hardly equates to more religious freedom. Furthermore their anti Muslim agenda will be harder without Brexit than it will be with Brexit. 

British Muslims are generally foolish when it comes to politics. They blindly lean to the left without ever really knowing why. The right might not be friends of Muslims, but the left are hypocritical snakes who will use the Muslim vote to retain their seats without actually having any real interest for Islam or Muslims (why should they, they hardly have anything in common)

The best stance is the one that our aimmah (عليه السلام) took when the abbasids clashed with the umayyads. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

Yes but we are voting on where he stands now, not where he stood in the 1970s.

Well the point is that he surprised very many people by not coming out strongly for Brexit during the referendum.

• Advanced Member
33 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

They are more tolerant of Muslims than most EU countries, so remaining in the EU hardly equates to more religious freedom. Furthermore their anti Muslim agenda will be harder without Brexit than it will be with Brexit. 

British Muslims are generally foolish when it comes to politics. They blindly lean to the left without ever really knowing why. The right might not be friends of Muslims, but the left are hypocritical snakes who will use the Muslim vote to retain their seats without actually having any real interest for Islam or Muslims (why should they, they hardly have anything in common)

The best stance is the one that our aimmah (عليه السلام) took when the abbasids clashed with the umayyads. 

I wouldn't generalize like that about the Left, things are often a lot more complicated than, however you do have something of a point, the Blairites and the Soft Left want basically to strip Islam of it's Spiritual and ethical content and messages, and turn into just another victim identity like sexual perverts and they use morons such as Tommy Robinson (who when he ran for election very recently expecting a land slide in his favour not only lost but did absolutely terribly). to achieve this.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Celtic Twilight said:

Reese Mogg ...and he is right when it comes to Brexit.

One could argue that his hardline position on Brexit is due to his vested interests in freeing up his international investments from EU red tape. Such is the case for his ventures in Africa. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mahdavist said:

They are more tolerant of Muslims than most EU countries,

Actually, that's a misconception. The UK is no more tolerant of Muslims than any other Western European nation. You will find much diversity within big cities such as London, Manchester and Birmingham, but once you venture out of them, you won't be or feel as welcome. 

The Brexit vote shows that larger cities with higher percentages of minorities voted to stay in Europe whereas most of the rest of the areas (white majority) voted to leave. 

British Muslims are generally foolish when it comes to politics.

This is a very sweeping statement which I very much disagree with. 

In the run up to, and right after the results of the vote, there was a significant spike in unprovoked attacks on Muslims, particularly against women in hijab. 

The issue is not as simple as 'Muslims don't like how Brexit was presented, so what' it's about actual fear of violence and attacks against the communities, it's about being shouted at on the streets to 'go back to your country', it's about Boris calling women in Niqab 'post boxes and bank robbers'

For British Muslims, staying within the EU would be a much safer option as opposed to being left isolated with the British far right. 

As bad as the EU may be, European laws and EU high courts provide a safety net not just for minorities, but also for workers' rights and many other things. 

Edited by Moalfas
Typo
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Another reason for voting Labour. If the Conservatives win we end up with an American style healthcare system and people whose best friends are Netanyahu and Modi.

EKDiBE4XkAAVh3A?format=png&name=small

Wouldn't you reckon a vote for the Lib Dems would stand a better chance of stopping Brexit than a vote for Labour? Especially after the fact that they had sweeping wins last EU elections because of their stand against Brexit.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

I am not a expert about that. Is it more easy for a citizen of commonwealth to immigrate in great britain than for a citizen who came from an other country? 

It's currently very easy for EU nationals to reside in the UK, they can just show up and stay. Non EU citizens would have to go through the immigration system. I'm unaware of special treatment for commonwealth citizens.