Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Ottoman Empire

Rate this topic

There is a series on netflix about it called Resurrection Ertuğrul. 

As a Turkish Shia, I would say the Ottomans were nawasibs. However, they were probably better than all the other caliphates. 

Edited by Kaya

9 minutes ago, Diaz said:

Isn’t that a tv series?

Yes, but it's also available on netflix

Just now, Kaya said:

Yes, but it's also available on netflix

Yes I know, but I think the op asked something else, not a tv series that was inspired by Ottoman Empire.  Btw, that series which you mentioned has more than 400 episodes, that’s too much xD 

Just now, Diaz said:

Yes I know, but I think the op asked something else, not a tv series that was inspired by Ottoman Empire.  Btw, that series which you mentioned has more than 400 episodes, that’s too much xD 

Lol I guess you are right, that's the first thing that came to my mind about the Ottomans.

Probably there are more professional documentaries/books online about this as well, maybe someone else will recommend one.

15 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

alizuq.jpg

Was cool though how it mentioned la fata ila Ali la saif ila Zulfiqar in the first episode.

A later episode has Ertugrul explaining to his eldest son the significance of the double tipped blade of Zulfuqar, one for Justice the other for Knowledge.

Also one episode references Imam Hussain's as stand against oppression and Karbala.

Yes Ottomans were much more connected to the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) than other Sunnis. Many of them acknowledge the 12 Imams. Still it should be remembered that they killed many Shias as well in their history.

Here is a Ottoman Sufi tariqa (Sunni) commemorating Ashura: 

Edited by Kaya

1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

alizuq.jpg

Was cool though how it mentioned la fata ila Ali la saif ila Zulfiqar in the first episode.

A later episode has Ertugrul explaining to his eldest son the significance of the double tipped blade of Zulfuqar, one for Justice the other for Knowledge.

Also one episode references Imam Hussain's as stand against oppression and Karbala.

As soon as I read this line I was like this show is a keeper! Relatively pretty clean too as it's free from a lot of the filth present in other popular tv shows.   

Somewhere in the first 10 episodes, there was a reference to Imam Mahdi (a) too. 

Edited by AStruggler

6 hours ago, 313. said:

Does anyone know anything about the rise of the Othman Empire and how it ended. 

Keep in mind the recommendations being given of Ertugrul are for a TV show which takes a lot of dramatic license (I presume based off like the 15 minutes I watched of the first episode, I really wasn't interested in seeing more despite everyone telling me I'll love it). It's best to consult scholarly histories or reliable popular histories, alternatively you can watch one of the documentary which was shared in this thread -- though you should know documentaries don't tend to be as good as scholarly books. You might be interested in Osman's Dream and The Venture of Islam vol. 3 dealing with the gunpowder empires.

It isn't exactly my favourite historical period but I took a course on the history of the Balkans and this naturally featured. I suppose this'll be a sort of summarized account of what happens, glossing over a lot of complex social, political, legislative, and religious history. Effectively, after the Seljuk invasions of the Anatolian peninsula you slowly had a shift in the ethnic make-up of the population from Anatolians and Greeks to Turks -- this wasn't complete by the beginning of the Ottoman empire either. The modern population of Turkey is evidently an admixture of Turkic speakers with the Anatolian populations as opposed to Turks from their Central Asian heartland who resemble Mongols more than they do Caucasians and Anatolians having features like the epicanthic fold. After the spectacular initial victories the Seljuks began to decline in power and influence by the mid-12th century becoming fractured and controlled externally as they had once controlled the Arab kingdoms a few centuries earlier in a similar manner. The Seljuk Sultanate in Anatolia began splintering in western-central Anatolia into vassal kingdoms, or Beyliks, ruled by petty kings. This is while the Byzantines to the west were also facing a weakened period. As a result, the leader of a tribe of Turks, which had apparently just recently come from Central Asia under his father, established a Beylik of modest size on the Byzantine frontier. Through his successors this was expanded into Anatolia and the Balkans and under Yavuz Sultan Selim it expanded into the Muslim world as well. Its westward expansion halted at the defeat at Vienna and its eastward expansion halted effectively at Iraq after Chaldiran. The Ottoman Empire had been stagnant for centuries but started going into decline by the end of the 18th century. This is despite efforts to modernize and reform with the Tanzimat and the replacement of old systems with modern ones. One major factor which I'd focused on was the rise of nationalism in the 19th century. Effectively the empire was starting to fracture and break apart with independence movements. I believe Greece or Bulgaria were the first to go. These nationalistic revolutions would be aided by western powers such as Britain. The Turks also lost Egypt to the French and maintained a very nominal control of the desert areas in Arabia. I believe it was Najaf which also engaged in a revolt in this period which it lost but nevertheless demonstrated the weakening grip of the Ottomans over their empire which was playing very defensively -- e.g. reacting to the revolt in Najaf or the rise of the First Saudi Kingdom, and then its being powerless in the face of the second and third which we now suffer under. After it lost WWI there were nationalistic movements setting up a republic carving out modern Turkey -- and fighting with the Greeks -- and abolishing the caliphate. A telling nickname it was "the sick man of Europe".

Having just criticized watching Ertugrul to understand the rise of the Ottomans, I'll recommend to you a fictionalized account of the end of Ottoman rule of Arabia based on the book by T.E. Lawrence and which just happens to be my favourite movie, Lawrence of Arabia. It isn't always accurate in the history it depicts and it hasn't held up well in its depiction of Arabs as superstitious and barbarous, but overall it is a good movie.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:24 PM, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

Keep in mind the recommendations being given of Ertugrul are for a TV show which takes a lot of dramatic license (I presume based off like the 15 minutes I watched of the first episode, I really wasn't interested in seeing more despite everyone telling me I'll love it). It's best to consult scholarly histories or reliable popular histories, alternatively you can watch one of the documentary which was shared in this thread -- though you should know documentaries don't tend to be as good as scholarly books. You might be interested in Osman's Dream and The Venture of Islam vol. 3 dealing with the gunpowder empires.

It isn't exactly my favourite historical period but I took a course on the history of the Balkans and this naturally featured. I suppose this'll be a sort of summarized account of what happens, glossing over a lot of complex social, political, legislative, and religious history. Effectively, after the Seljuk invasions of the Anatolian peninsula you slowly had a shift in the ethnic make-up of the population from Anatolians and Greeks to Turks -- this wasn't complete by the beginning of the Ottoman empire either. The modern population of Turkey is evidently an admixture of Turkic speakers with the Anatolian populations as opposed to Turks from their Central Asian heartland who resemble Mongols more than they do Caucasians and Anatolians having features like the epicanthic fold. After the spectacular initial victories the Seljuks began to decline in power and influence by the mid-12th century becoming fractured and controlled externally as they had once controlled the Arab kingdoms a few centuries earlier in a similar manner. The Seljuk Sultanate in Anatolia began splintering in western-central Anatolia into vassal kingdoms, or Beyliks, ruled by petty kings. This is while the Byzantines to the west were also facing a weakened period. As a result, the leader of a tribe of Turks, which had apparently just recently come from Central Asia under his father, established a Beylik of modest size on the Byzantine frontier. Through his successors this was expanded into Anatolia and the Balkans and under Yavuz Sultan Selim it expanded into the Muslim world as well. Its westward expansion halted at the defeat at Vienna and its eastward expansion halted effectively at Iraq after Chaldiran. The Ottoman Empire had been stagnant for centuries but started going into decline by the end of the 18th century. This is despite efforts to modernize and reform with the Tanzimat and the replacement of old systems with modern ones. One major factor which I'd focused on was the rise of nationalism in the 19th century. Effectively the empire was starting to fracture and break apart with independence movements. I believe Greece or Bulgaria were the first to go. These nationalistic revolutions would be aided by western powers such as Britain. The Turks also lost Egypt to the French and maintained a very nominal control of the desert areas in Arabia. I believe it was Najaf which also engaged in a revolt in this period which it lost but nevertheless demonstrated the weakening grip of the Ottomans over their empire which was playing very defensively -- e.g. reacting to the revolt in Najaf or the rise of the First Saudi Kingdom, and then its being powerless in the face of the second and third which we now suffer under. After it lost WWI there were nationalistic movements setting up a republic carving out modern Turkey -- and fighting with the Greeks -- and abolishing the caliphate. A telling nickname it was "the sick man of Europe".

Having just criticized watching Ertugrul to understand the rise of the Ottomans, I'll recommend to you a fictionalized account of the end of Ottoman rule of Arabia based on the book by T.E. Lawrence and which just happens to be my favourite movie, Lawrence of Arabia. It isn't always accurate in the history it depicts and it hasn't held up well in its depiction of Arabs as superstitious and barbarous, but overall it is a good movie.

can you tell me everything that took place in the aftermath of conquering Eastern Europe. 

2 hours ago, 313. said:

can you tell me everything that took place in the aftermath of conquering Eastern Europe. 

That's like 600 years of history you're asking about. You want me to tell you everything that happened in Eastern Europe from the mid 14th to the early 20th century in terms of its social, religious, economic, legal, and political history? Because of these factor into studying the history of the Balkans under Ottoman rule. You might be better off reading a book, watching a documentary, or taking a university course because this is really a university course worth of material.

20 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

That's like 600 years of history you're asking about. You want me to tell you everything that happened in Eastern Europe from the mid 14th to the early 20th century in terms of its social, religious, economic, legal, and political history? Because of these factor into studying the history of the Balkans under Ottoman rule. You might be better off reading a book, watching a documentary, or taking a university course because this is really a university course worth of material.

I am writing a research paper on the rise and fall of the Ottoman empire, some things I can find on the internet because it is a broad topic thats why I am asking it on here.

7 hours ago, 313. said:

I am writing a research paper on the rise and fall of the Ottoman empire, some things I can find on the internet because it is a broad topic thats why I am asking it on here.

Salams,

If you're writing a research paper then I'm sure you know you can't use what I've said, any documentary, and certainly not Ertugrul. You'll need to find some books and papers. I suppose in Eastern Europe one of the most important factors to bring the end of the Ottoman empire was the rise of nationalism which lead to a fracturing of the territories into the modern nations we have -- with some complicated history as to how that happened. I'm not sure why you'd need to know a history of the Balkans region during Ottoman occupation, and the rise and fall of it is a very broad subject -- that can encompass a multi-volume book series. You probably want to narrow your focus on some factors of the rise or factors of the fall focusing on an important one. Otherwise you're very easily looking at a massive work with thousands of pages of research to properly talk about the subject.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

Salams,

If you're writing a research paper then I'm sure you know you can't use what I've said, any documentary, and certainly not Ertugrul. You'll need to find some books and papers. I suppose in Eastern Europe one of the most important factors to bring the end of the Ottoman empire was the rise of nationalism which lead to a fracturing of the territories into the modern nations we have -- with some complicated history as to how that happened. I'm not sure why you'd need to know a history of the Balkans region during Ottoman occupation, and the rise and fall of it is a very broad subject -- that can encompass a multi-volume book series. You probably want to narrow your focus on some factors of the rise or factors of the fall focusing on an important one. Otherwise you're very easily looking at a massive work with thousands of pages of research to properly talk about the subject.

My research paper needs to be at least 5 pages I won’t be writing a book or talking about every detail just the main elements but anyways thanx for the help..

13 hours ago, 313. said:

My research paper needs to be at least 5 pages I won’t be writing a book or talking about every detail just the main elements but anyways thanx for the help..

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, the topic you're doing is to broad to be done properly in five pages. Good luck.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, 313. said:

Suggestion:  For the rise, what essential elements made 'victory' possible. Then the elements for the fall- like tecno-complacency even though they had intimate knowledge of Napoleon in Egypt. Then fill in the middle with institutional-policy history and which of these led to defeat.

l'd help more, but l know little about the Ottomans.

On 11/20/2019 at 1:58 AM, AStruggler said:

As soon as I read this line I was like this show is a keeper! Relatively pretty clean too as it's free from a lot of the filth present in other popular tv shows.   

Somewhere in the first 10 episodes, there was a reference to Imam Mahdi (a) too. 

Salam , it's also one of propaganda of Turkey for relating Imam Mahdi (aj) to turkey not Yemen &Iraq &Iran because in Sunni sources conquering Constantinople is one of major signs of his reappearance like as Qazwa hind fantasy in Indian subcontinent &Pakistan or his emerging based on Sunni belief about him as a normal person from Prophet's family that will become free from sins by repentance at one night that based Turkish propaganda he will show himself in Istanbul & will make Istanbul as his main base & capital but based on Shia prophecies his base will be in Kufa that he will conquer Constantinople or Istanbul like as other cities but it will be a sign for Sunnis  

5 hours ago, Diaz said:

I don’t understand, why Ottoman empires love Ahlul bait (عليه السلام) but hate Shi’a? 

all Sunnis even wahabists have high respect for allAhlul bait (عليه السلام) but their attribute toward their followers are different that for recognizing Nawasib we only can find about them from their behavior with Shias because all Nawasibs are claiming love of Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) but  they are enemies of their followers like as currently they say that Shias are good people but their leaders asMarjas are deviated that they try to show that Shias as ignorant people that fooled by their Marjas that without delusion of Marjas they would turn to Sunnis not Shias.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

alizuq.jpg

Salam they respect them as great personalities from bloodline of Prophet Muhammad (pbu) that they have good instruction &Quotes but they just now them as normal persons not infallible Imams that recently they are trying to mention their quotes for their Turkish propaganda for connecting Turkey to holy lands of Mekka & Medina like as ottoman era but with centralizing Turkey specially Istanbul as their claimed base for Imam Mahdi (aj) not Iraq & Yemen & Iran  but based Shia prophecies Turks (maybe Turkey &Russia)will engage in war with Sufyani (la) in Syria that will lead to total destruction of their armies or maybe their governments that survived Turks will join to Shias in war with Sufyani (la) in Iraq but currently Turkey is preparing mind of it's people & it's fans with idea of last rising of ottomans that this time they are claiming that they have help of Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) specially Imam Mahdi (aj) with themselves that their propaganda is targeting both Shias & Sunnis not just Sunnis like as old ottoman empire. 

On 11/23/2019 at 12:00 PM, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, the topic you're doing is to broad to be done properly in five pages. Good luck.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:11 PM, hasanhh said:

Suggestion:  For the rise, what essential elements made 'victory' possible. Then the elements for the fall- like tecno-complacency even though they had intimate knowledge of Napoleon in Egypt. Then fill in the middle with institutional-policy history and which of these led to defeat.

l'd help more, but l know little about the Ottomans.

It is a broad topic but I talked about the rise of the ottomans which was the fall of Constantinople and conquer of eastern Europe, and the advanced military technology they had was part of the reasons why they were a powerful Empire, and the main causes of the fall was the issue the Ottomans were facing internally which was the economic system and the two battles that stopped their advancement in Europe; Siege of Vienna and and battle of Lepanto. 

Poverty would be tackled in Muslim countries with Zakat: Erdogan

https://en.abna24.com/news//poverty-would-be-tackled-in-Muslim-countries-with-zakat-erdogan_992286.html

December 8, 2019 - 6:35 PM News Code : 992286 Source : IQNALink: 

Poverty would be tackled in Muslim countries with Zakat: Erdogan

The Turkish president on Sunday urged Muslim countries to work harder together to help millions of Muslims facing economic hardship.

Ahlul Bayt News Agency (ABNA): 
“Twenty-one percent of the population of Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) [countries], which means 350 million brothers and sisters, are trying to hold onto life at the poverty level,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan told the OIC High-Level Public and Private Investment Conference in Istanbul.

Erdogan stressed that the wealthiest Muslim country is 200 times richer than the poorest, but that if Muslims paid their zakat -- a religious obligation to provide financial assistance to the poor -- no Muslim country would suffer poverty, Anadolu Agency reported.

Also urging OIC member states to help Albania recover from last month’s powerful earthquake, he said: “I ask you to support out brother Albania by mobilizing all your means to treat their wounds.”

The 6.4-magnitude earthquake hit Albania’s Adriatic coast on Nov. 26, killing 51 people and injuring more than 900.